Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 02:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I don't disagree with that. I still think a photo with resume may relieve the OP's fears. The rest of your post . . . blah blah blah.
Some employers (federal) will disqualify you for submitting a photo. So be careful but it's a great idea.

I don't even think you can guarantee pictures are ever totally gone. They're prone to resurface some day.

Who cares who has my name? Now if they also had my social....
I bet there are others out there, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 02:38 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynewyork View Post
If I google my name (very very rare in English), his totally unemployable selfies on his SoundCloud are ranked #1. I am concerned because I am a job seeker.

I found his phone number just by googling a bit. He also has some criminal records like lots of traffic violations and weed.

Is it a good idea to contact him by this phone number, offer him $300 to ask him to delete those images? He doesn't seem to be actively using his SoundCloud account now. He's in his 30s. And I am thinking of giving him $100 in advance, and tell him the remaining money will be sent after he deletes them. He may ask for more money, and I am OK with doing some negotiation and pay more.
The guys a criminal. they'll take the money and then put the pictures back up....and oh....maybe consider stealing your identity as well.

The picture on your resume is not a bad idea, along with perhaps a short note that there is someone with your "odd" name that is not you.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:42 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
THat's the con of having a unique name.

If you were one of hundreds named John Smith you'd never have to worry about this.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:55 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Unfortunately he's not in the US with a social

Old 08-09-2020, 03:34 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynewyork View Post
If I google my name (very very rare in English), his totally unemployable selfies on his SoundCloud are ranked #1. I am concerned because I am a job seeker.

I found his phone number just by googling a bit. He also has some criminal records like lots of traffic violations and weed.

Is it a good idea to contact him by this phone number, offer him $300 to ask him to delete those images? He doesn't seem to be actively using his SoundCloud account now. He's in his 30s. And I am thinking of giving him $100 in advance, and tell him the remaining money will be sent after he deletes them. He may ask for more money, and I am OK with doing some negotiation and pay more.
Instead I'd just look up how to report images to Google to remove from search results. This guy didn't do anything wrong (well... LOL) by having his picture online and having the same name. However, what you'd like is for Google to not quite prioritize the search result so high.

Old 08-09-2020, 04:15 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Paying the person doesn't make sense they could take the money and do nothing, ask for more with threats who knows.. Do you have linkedin? What ever social media profiles you use put your first, middle and last name. Make sure your resume also has first, middle & last name.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Paying the person doesn't make sense they could take the money and do nothing, ask for more with threats who knows.. Do you have linkedin? What ever social media profiles you use put your first, middle and last name. Make sure your resume also has first, middle & last name.
I agree. Use a combination of your names that is legal and legitimate, but generates a different result.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:49 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
He's a criminal. He would probably put something much worse up and then ask for much more to take it off.
Traffic offenses + weed = criminal. Yeah, sure, technically, but given that federal weed legalization is inevitable and traffic offenses are, well, traffic offenses, you might want to reconsider your judgmental attitude (this goes to other posters who exhibited the same mentality). To infer from his oh-so-'criminal' traffic offense+weed background that he'll then blackmail our zealous job seeker hero here is a bit unjustified.

For what it's worth, OP, I'd like to see these pictures that you deem 'unemployable'. Unfortunately by posting them you'd be blowing your anonymous cover.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:08 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Unfortunately he's not in the US with a social
Other countries have their own unique identification systems.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...ication_number

Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Instead I'd just look up how to report images to Google to remove from search results. This guy didn't do anything wrong (well... LOL) by having his picture online and having the same name. However, what you'd like is for Google to not quite prioritize the search result so high.
Really? Why should Google be willing to accomodate the whims of one person over the whims of another with the same name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment