Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Perhaps in addition to providing personal phones for company use, employees can chip in to pay for the office space that they use at their company. They can also take voluntary pay cuts to help reduce the company's labor costs. Better yet, for truly dedicated employees with a good work ethic who go above and beyond and are able to engage in "out of the box thinking", they can volunteer their time and forego any pay at all. Not to be outdone, top performers and company "rock stars" can raise the bar further by not only refusing to be paid for their work, but by paying for the privilege of working at their company. And to be sure to work at least 100 hours per week, because anything less than that is an "inconvenience to business". How's that for loyalty and sacrifice?
reductio ad absurdum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:42 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
reductio ad absurdum
Certainly a joke. But I'm sure employers would love that.

I once read a serious article in a technical journal where the author suggested that employers use unpaid volunteers. The volunteers would be strung along with the anticipation that eventually they would officially be hired and start being paid. But they would never be hired and would be disposed of if they smartened up and new volunteers would come in. Of course, that would be unworkable.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 PM

965 posts, read 1,113,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The jump from my iPhone 6 Plus to my 8 Plus was massive. The 6 Plus would frequently run out of RAM when playing Pokemon Go and crash to the home screen. Performance was sluggish in comparison. The 8's camera is so good that I sold off my DSLR.

The 6 is fine for now as a work phone, and if I needed a cheap burner, it would be fine. I bought my girlfriend an SE for her birthday - about $150 at Walmart. It seems faster than the 6. That and a $35 Straight Talk plan would take care of my work needs.
The 6 to 6S was a huge jump in itself due to the fact that it has 2 GB of high performance RAM versus the 1 GB RAM in the 6.

Even with all of the optimization Apple has, 1 GB of RAM isn't going to cut it in today's standard. And this is coming from a company that used to run 256 and 512 MB standard when Android had 1 - 2 GB and still beat them out. lol

More normally isn't always better, but in the case of Pokemon GO, you NEED 1.5 GB or more.

The reason why the SE seems faster is because it has the internals of an iPhone 6S minus 3D Touch. The 6S, SE, and 6S Plus are still butting heads (for now) with the 8, 8 Plus and X, performance wise, but this magical gap will start to close once newer releases of iOS come out.

The base release is always the best, but developers move quickly, so never upgrading your phone to keep it fast isn't always ideal.

Fun fact.
An iPhone 5 on iOS 6 is way faster than an iPhone 6 on iOS 11. It boggles me, certain iOS versions don't really bring much in term of performance sucking features, so it's interesting to see a phone slow down THAT badly. Who remembers iPhone 3G on iPhone OS 3 upgrading to iOS 4? The 3G literally got 0 features and then became THE SLOWEST smartphone of all time. It was so bad, Apple had to release a *special* version of iOS 4 just to get the 3G back to even semi-reliable speed. It was horrible. There was no reason for the iPhone 3G to literally come to a crawl with that empty update. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, the 3GS actually saw a performance increase with iOS 4, then slow decreases with iOS 5 and iOS 6.

Okay, I'm rambling.

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 6 as a personal phone anymore, but it's fine for work purposes. You can even push it as low as 5, but not the 4S or earlier (unless you are using the iOS versions that originally came with the unit.)

The iPhone 6S is still pushing the envelope as one of the world's fastest smartphones in practice, even if it's 3 years old. It's just lacking the hardware refinements such as the spectacular camera of the 8 and X. (Still good, though.)

Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,506 times
I’ve asked so many people that I work with that I’ve collected a small random sample. I’m going to use one phone. We use the Good app for emails and a couple of optional apps are available for HR stuff. We do have to register our phone for access to the mail server, but that’s all. I won’t connect to the company wifi when in the office. I won’t be there very often anyway.

As for clients, conference calls and emails are the norm when not on site. They will see me when I’m on-site. For my function and group, there’s a structure to our work, so clients will not be calling during off hours. I have a Google Voice number that I have already set up for use with co-workers and for business cards.

I’ll go with this for now and see how it goes.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM

18 posts, read 8,176 times
Your job reminds me of employers that want to defraud their employees. People own businesses but want employees to pay for the car, the phone, etc.

But if you have no choice, then buy a second phone. Your personal phone should be Off. Unless you have children. But still be put into a back pocket and ignored.
In my opinion, people should leave their phones at home or turned off.

Your work phone should be a monthly prepaid phone and you should submit your bills no later than every 35 days for reimbursement.

Keep in mind the most recent FBI Trump debacle. Do not use your private cell phone, you will lose your privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment