Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,876,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think a lot of the differences in views on this stem from the fact that companies implement BYOD in a wide range of levels. On the lighter end, a company does nothing at all but ask you to use your own phone to make work calls and send work emails. They manage or control absolutely nothing beyond the login credentials for accessing the email server. On the heavier end, a company wants to install rootkit software that you cannot alter that allows them full control of the device including wiping/bricking it.

I suspect most smaller companies implement it closer to the light end than the heavy end. One of the main reasons to implement BYOD is so the company does not have to maintain the IT resources to manage the devices. Larger companies that have the IT resources to strictly manage mobile devices might as well go ahead and provide the device. It would simplify the logistics and probably be a lot cheaper in the long run. Those companies are offering BYOD as a perk, allowing an employee to use the kind of phone they are already familiar with and avoid the burden of carrying two phones.
Companies want you to use your own cell phone because they don't want to pay the monthly service bill. If they want you on call for $3500/month, you are getting reamed. If they are paying $6,000/month, you can afford a second cell phone and data plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,447,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Companies want you to use your own cell phone because they don't want to pay the monthly service bill. If they want you on call for $3500/month, you are getting reamed. If they are paying $6,000/month, you can afford a second cell phone and data plan.
I agree with this. I work at a place where we all make many times that amount, and my coworkers say "if my boss doesn't pay for my phone then they can't reach me outside of work". A bit ridiculous considering we get maybe one emergency email outside of work hours maybe every 6 months or so.

But I agree- if you're barely scraping by and your employer wants you to buy a data plan that you wouldn't otherwise have, they should back off. Let's be honest with ourselves, though- even people on welfare have unlimited data these days so it's hard to believe that you can't read the one or two emergency emails each week/month/quarter/whatever without incurring additional expense.

Most people who whine about the cost are really whining about having to work outside work hours, and while I don't disagree with that sentiment, at least be honest in your argument instead of pretending that it's about a penny or two worth of data that will be coming out of your hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary this year.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,965,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My last company implemented BYOD purely because so many people argued and whined about not being given a phone they liked, the company just gave up and implemented BYOD with Good (not Blackberry Work) for email.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,024,242 times
Why don't you get a burner phone for your work and leave your personal phone for you only.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous for some companies now to not have a company phone for their employers to use.
Cheapskates it sounds to me.
Your personal phone is yours only for you and no one else.For some companies now to think that it's ok to ask employees to use their own personal cell phones and the company will just reimburse them...that it's ok???It's crazy and is crossing personal space or a person's privacy.
Like I stated...just get a cheap burner phone and use that one only for your job.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:38 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Why don't you get a burner phone for your work and leave your personal phone for you only.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous for some companies now to not have a company phone for their employers to use.
Your personal phone is yours only for you and no one else.For some companies now to think that it's ok to ask employees to use their own personal cell phones and the company will just reimburse them...that it's ok???It's crazy and is crossing personal space or a person's privacy.
Like I stated...just get a cheap burner phone and use that one only for your job.

If it's an employee that does much business on the phone, I agree. Not so sure if it's an employee that just rarely needs to receive a call, text, or email.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:26 AM

35,427 posts, read 31,944,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think a lot of the differences in views on this stem from the fact that companies implement BYOD in a wide range of levels. On the lighter end, a company does nothing at all but ask you to use your own phone to make work calls and send work emails. They manage or control absolutely nothing beyond the login credentials for accessing the email server. On the heavier end, a company wants to install rootkit software that you cannot alter that allows them full control of the device including wiping/bricking it.

I suspect most smaller companies implement it closer to the light end than the heavy end. One of the main reasons to implement BYOD is so the company does not have to maintain the IT resources to manage the devices. Larger companies that have the IT resources to strictly manage mobile devices might as well go ahead and provide the device. It would simplify the logistics and probably be a lot cheaper in the long run. Those companies are offering BYOD as a perk, allowing an employee to use the kind of phone they are already familiar with and avoid the burden of carrying two phones.
If I'm just logging into an Exchange server, that's not really MDM. I can remove the Exchange connection at any time. We have Outlook in VMWare where I work. There's a VMWare iPhone app that let me launch a full Outlook client. It sucks on a phone, but it will do in a pinch. It's fine on a tablet.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 AM

23,173 posts, read 12,465,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If I'm just logging into an Exchange server, that's not really MDM. I can remove the Exchange connection at any time. We have Outlook in VMWare where I work. There's a VMWare iPhone app that let me launch a full Outlook client. It sucks on a phone, but it will do in a pinch. It's fine on a tablet.

Right, and we don't know if the OP's employer uses MDM either. All he said was the employer wanted him to use his own phone. It could range anywhere between no company control at all to complete company control. Hopefully, he has learned a few things from this and can better evaluate the situation.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:49 AM

965 posts, read 1,128,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you really need TWO high dollar phones? My Samsung smartphone was $100. What it 'lacks' is better picture taking quality, memory for photos and tons of apps. (I don't need that). Do you need that for work?
It's getting to that point where we're hitting a "ceiling" in terms of performance.

Let's use iPhone "real world performance" and not just synthetic benchmarks.

iPhone to iPhone 3G - Small improvement.
iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS - HUGE improvement.
iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 - Big improvement.
iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S - Big improvement.
iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 - Moderate improvement
iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S - HUGE improvement. (The move to 64 bit processing)
iPhone 5S to iPhone 6 - Minor improvement.
iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S - Moderate improvement.
iPhone 6S to iPhone 7 - Minor improvement.
iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 / X - Minor improvement.

For what people use these things for mostly, social media consumption, and texting, you don't *need* the latest; the iPhone 6 still gets these things done quickly. The iPhone 6S is even faster and gets you 3D Touch. After iPhone 6S I am hard pressed to see real world performances differences that justify an upgrade (at least for me.)

Let's take the 6S and iPhone X. Benchmarks show the iPhone X crushing the 6. But when you do a side by side comparison to an iPhone X, that is the furthest thing from the truth. Performance is only moderately better on an X. It's hard enough noticing a difference side by side. I have done this with with a 6S + 7 / 8 / and X. So yeah, that "old" 6S might not have Face ID, but it's still opening apps and getting stuff done just as fast as a "flagship" X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkGGq7IM5V0 Here's a video showcasing the performance side by side among other things.

So for a "work" device (email, maybe some content creation on the go) you can get away with getting a $100 phone. The 2014 flagships clock in around that price now (Galaxy S5 / Note 4 / iPhone 6) if you get them used. Newer entry level handsets from Samsung are also capable devices.

Sure they may lack the glitz, glam and features of the current flagships, but are by no means unusable devices for WORK.

A company is not providing you an iPhone X for you to send one or two emails on / take a few calls on after hours. You're gonna get a 6 and like it (and that's being generous) lol
My older company only gave current flagships to the head honchos. Everyone else got a 6 or 6S depending on title. I was lucky to get a 6S (was just a Jr Level Tech at the time) I have since left the company and still have the phone they gifted. The service still works on it, too! I predict iOS 14 on iPhone 6S to truly start showing age. Fortunately it's still chugging along fast, if not better than when it was first released.

I don't mind two phones, it's not the biggest deal on the planet.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,828,248 times
Default Loyalty and Sacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Perhaps in addition to providing personal phones for company use, employees can chip in to pay for the office space that they use at their company. They can also take voluntary pay cuts to help reduce the company's labor costs. Better yet, for truly dedicated employees with a good work ethic who go above and beyond and are able to engage in "out of the box thinking", they can volunteer their time and forego any pay at all. Not to be outdone, top performers and company "rock stars" can raise the bar further by not only refusing to be paid for their work, but by paying for the privilege of working at their company. And to be sure to work at least 100 hours per week, because anything less than that is an "inconvenience to business". How's that for loyalty and sacrifice?

Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM

35,427 posts, read 31,944,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
It's getting to that point where we're hitting a "ceiling" in terms of performance.

Let's use iPhone "real world performance" and not just synthetic benchmarks.

So for a "work" device (email, maybe some content creation on the go) you can get away with getting a $100 phone. The 2014 flagships clock in around that price now (Galaxy S5 / Note 4 / iPhone 6) if you get them used. Newer entry level handsets from Samsung are also capable devices.

I don't mind two phones, it's not the biggest deal on the planet.
The jump from my iPhone 6 Plus to my 8 Plus was massive. The 6 Plus would frequently run out of RAM when playing Pokemon Go and crash to the home screen. Performance was sluggish in comparison. The 8's camera is so good that I sold off my DSLR.

The 6 is fine for now as a work phone, and if I needed a cheap burner, it would be fine. I bought my girlfriend an SE for her birthday - about $150 at Walmart. It seems faster than the 6. That and a $35 Straight Talk plan would take care of my work needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment