Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many companies do not allow you to expense your personal plan for business use. You're required to pay for the plan for your employer to be able to reach you.
OP said his org is allowing him to expense it.

Regardless, there are many options available to the OP - from free services (Google Voice) to paid apps to a pay as you go phone to a regular plan, etc. etc.

Really up to the OP to explore, research, and decide on what works best for him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,288 times
I don't get paid enough to put company software on my personal phone. I just tell my device OS is older than the required minimium OS to install the software. If they really need me to answer calls or emails outside of work, then get me a company phone

Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Yesterday, I found out that I will not be issued a company cell phone. It’s a BYOD (bring your own device) setup. I would be expected to use my personal cell phone for work. I can expense the bill every month, which is nice, but I immediately thought of the blurring of my work and personal life and I’m not sure of how thrilled I will be about that.

I already expect to work long hours, but my weekends will be mine. My personal number will be given to clients so they can reach me. At recent employers, I sometimes used my cell phone for conference calls when working from home or for co-workers to reach me, but clients never had my personal number.

I’m also concerned with possibly losing my number later, a number I have had for years and the only number many friends and family have in order to reach me. Then there’s the personal information, although I do backup to iCloud, so probably not a big deal there. Work would allow me to expense the monthly plan of the second device, but not the second device itself.

On the other hand, carrying a second won’t be fun either. I haven’t had to do that since the BlackBerry heydays. Phones are larger now too. More to lose and have to keep up with.

I’m still deciding on what to do, but I’m curious for anyone who has the BYOD option, do you use one cell phone or two? If it was your choice at work, what would you do?
Ike been down this road before and I can positively say that you should keep your personal information personal and not allow work to intrude upon it. Any employer who can access your personal phone can access every bit of info you have on it. Do you really want to go there? Even if they tell you they won’t have access to your personal info, they do. If I were ever presented with this situation again I would tell my employer in no uncertain terms that if a condition of my employment is that I be reachable by phone 24/7, then they must provide the device.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
two phones for so many reasons I don't know where to begin. . . seriously. I've been there. They install software on your phone and can "brick" it if they want, if you ever quit. Keep it separate.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:23 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
two phones for so many reasons I don't know where to begin. . . seriously. I've been there. They install software on your phone and can "brick" it if they want, if you ever quit. Keep it separate.
That would be my concern- and they're likely to want to "brick" it in case of loss as well. Another thing: cell phone numbers are becoming keys to a lot of security processes. Most apps/web sites want to send you a text to verify your identity if you want to change a password, for example. There are now stories of people having their phone number ported over to a new device, with the scammer taking over bank and other accounts. The more open your phone number is, the higher your risk of having it pirated. I've been resisting this safety process- I am reluctant to supply my cell phone number to apps and web sites unless I can't avoid it. I elect e-mails to verify my identity instead.

Finally- as a customer, this drives me crazy. When I'm having work done on the house and I get a call, I hate when the caller ID is someone I don't know and sometimes even the spouse of the person who's actually on their way, if the phone was registered in the spouse's name. I'd much rather see "XYZ Plumbing" so I know it's not a junk call about my student loans (of which I have none).

Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
my company gave us avaya vpn desk-fones for home. it plugs into my router via cat-5 cable.
i ended up unplugging it and just end up using my cellular tele-fone.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times
Thanks for the continued replies everyone. The recent feedback has been insightful and appreciated. This isn’t about not growing up or needing to grow up as one post indicated. This isn’t my first time having a job where clients and work needed to reach me. I’m glad that many who have experience with this situation understand what I posted and have shared their thoughts and advice.

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards two devices. Losing my number and giving the company access to my personal data just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll continue to pay my line and let them pay for the other. IF by chance the company doesn’t wipe the phone and uses an app that creates a separate profile, then maybe I will consider a single line. I will be meeting with my senior director on Monday and I will add this on the agenda.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 21,426 times
Why don't you just get a google voice number? I got one for work, and another one I put on resumes, then of course my personal number. Its completely free.

If your office uses exchange email (where they can completely wipe your phone) I would definitely get a cheap burner phone or just not hook up email to it.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 PM

579 posts, read 368,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Thanks for the continued replies everyone. The recent feedback has been insightful and appreciated. This isn’t about not growing up or needing to grow up as one post indicated. This isn’t my first time having a job where clients and work needed to reach me. I’m glad that many who have experience with this situation understand what I posted and have shared their thoughts and advice.

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards two devices. Losing my number and giving the company access to my personal data just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll continue to pay my line and let them pay for the other. IF by chance the company doesn’t wipe the phone and uses an app that creates a separate profile, then maybe I will consider a single line. I will be meeting with my senior director on Monday and I will add this on the agenda.

I would rather buy a second phone and pay the monthly charges all by myself before I mix my personal phone and business calls. The few dollars saved is not worth the risk IMHO. If your work will pay for the monthly plan, even better.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
A company that implements BYOD is giving up control of the device. They can't take your phone or your number later. But if you want to create some space between business and personal, why waste the money on a second device when you can jsut get a google voice number for business and have it forward to your personal device? Then you can disable or terminate it at any time.
Not entirely. They can monitor your calls, look at your texts, photos, browsing history, etc.

No way would I ever allow my employer to have access to personal information. When they foot the bill, it gives them the right to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment