Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,238,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not entirely. They can monitor your calls, look at your texts, photos, browsing history, etc.

No way would I ever allow my employer to have access to personal information. When they foot the bill, it gives them the right to do so.

Explain to me how having a google voice number forwarded to your phone allows someone who has access to that google voice account to look at your calls (other than those on the google voice number), or see any of your photos, contacts, or anything else on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,779,115 times
The idea that having a single phone for both business and home is "growing up" is just ludicrous.

Some companies will allow you to get a second number that will ring on your phone. Or you can get a second number and redirect it to ring to your main phone. Or you can just get a second phone.

Putting your personal phone number out there to every single potential business contact you might have is just begging for trouble, to get your personal number on ever more call lists. If you want a booming business in spam calls, go for it. Personally I would never even consider giving my personal number out to the world.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,115,870 times
I have several phone numbers for different uses.... all through a subscription on my burner app.

If the company insists on having access to the phone itself, I'd rather just get another cheap phone before they I hand over access to my personal.

PS> I've never worked for a company (I am software developer) that provided phones but phone communication isn't core to my position. For other that are on the road a lot, I do notice that they area still using their own phones but it is expensed.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:42 AM

149 posts, read 104,474 times
What's the difference? If you are going to carry the second work phone with you at all times during the weekend and have decided to answer it anytime it rings, just do it all with one phone.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:47 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,822 times
Pick up a cheap burner off Craigslist or eBay or something and use it specifically for work.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,019,839 times
I have and carry two, a smart and a Razor. The smart was because of the low reception out here in the country. The Razor is kept for many reasons.

First of all,since the SIM can't be transferred between phones, there is a lot of data on there that can't be easily transferred to the smart. Plug in a card and you don't worry about if that number is still good but if you actually had to type it in, we-ll.... Secondly, as an established asset, it is not something to be cancelled, especially for convenience.

That is how the smart phone number came into use. It was the number I set up to be at Mom's home when she was under caretakers. After she passed on, the number sat unused until the need of the smart phone came along. A new mission and the number was "re-activated".

The Razor is still in use because its number is out there for those too far out of contact to be informed of the change.

Finally, should someone such as the law ask to see my cell phone or someone ask to borrow it, I will hand over the Razor. It is so old in the system, it is unlikely to reveal any useful information.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:11 PM

523 posts, read 1,681,132 times
Here's another vote for getting a phone for your new job. You've said that your new employer is not going to issue a business phone, but will reimburse you for a phone. So, get one that you'll dedicate to work.

Suggestions: (1) Get a phone that takes the same charger as your personal phone. (2) Get your business-dedicated phone on a separate account. This way, when submitting the invoice for reimbursement, your personal info is not included.

In my world (IT for a large organization), people carry two phones. Those that don't, but want to receive their corporate email on their phone, have had to accept and install the corporate device management policy on their personal device. My observation is that these are typically folks in their first professional job, who are used to accepting terms of service without realizing what they're accepting. (Yes, the org can brick the phone.)

Just another thought since you mentioned adding the phone to your meeting's agenda. As you already know that you're not getting a phone from the company and they will reimburse the expense, is there anything further to discuss? My guess is that you have more important things to discuss with your new director.

Congratulations on your new job!

Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if I could ask for something towards a new device every two years. As it stands now, I wouldn’t get anything for getting the second phone, at least according to HR. I have yet to have this conversation with my manager.

Thanks for the input!
Do you really need TWO high dollar phones? My Samsung smartphone was $100. What it 'lacks' is better picture taking quality, memory for photos and tons of apps. (I don't need that). Do you need that for work?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
I have something that is better than google voice, imo. Well, it depends on what it is used for I guess. I can talk and text from a separate number which I don't need to, but it's kinda cool. Only works when connected to wifi though. The point was a temporary fix to having no service for a few days.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:05 AM

669 posts, read 583,273 times
Between home offices and personal cell phones used for business....sweet deal for employers. My FREEDOM on the job?. PRICELESS!

Carry two phones? Not on your life. Or mine. Set up your contacts...you can block numbers when they are no longer relevant to your job. I have never been contacted by former business contacts once I left the company. on my “personal” phone. Not sure what your concern is. Same with old business cards floating around landfills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment