Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:01 PM

15,879 posts, read 7,885,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Once again, what's the name of the software? Only way you're installing software not in Apple store is if you jailbreak the phone and that's illegal. So this (whatever exactly "this" is) has happened to you 3 times? Anyone else here have this experience?
Oracle Workspace can wipe devices remotely. There are others, but that's the one I am familiar with. My company has an internal app store that can install a bunch of custom apps that are not available on the Apple App Store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 03:02 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,402,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Oracle Workspace can wipe devices remotely. There are others, but that's the one I am familiar with. My company has an internal app store that can install a bunch of custom apps that are not available on the Apple App Store.

That's not what Oracle seems to say:

Containers
Using a technique called containerization, the Oracle Mobile Security Suite creates a secure
workspace in which corporate applications, email, and data are stored. Only authenticated
users can access the secure workspace to run the applications and access data, and only
applications provisioned or approved by corporate IT can be installed and executed from within
this secure workspace. All personal applications, photos, and content are managed and
accessible by the employee and controlled through data policies that limit how the content can
be shared, viewed, printed and more. If the device is lost or stolen,

corporate IT can remotely wipe the secure workspace without affecting any personal data.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/middleware/identity-management/mobile-security/secure-adoption-of-byod-wp-2199321.pdf

Old 09-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The amount of paranoia in this thread is crazy. Companies aren't going to dig through your personal info. They barely have time to keep up with work, let alone do things like that.

These are probably the same people who resisted getting toll tags on their cars because the government might use them to track their movements.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,816,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
A professional company provides its own devices to their workers for free. I worked for crazy IT companies but even they provided me with everything that I needed for after hours contact and support. I had a laptop and phone, free of charge. My last IT company was very sensitive to security issues and didn't want any information on personal devices outside the company's control. That makes a lot of sense. It sounds like your company doesn't know what it is doing, is just too cheap to supply their own devices, or deliberately trying to blur the line between work and personal time in the hope that the employees will be working more during off hours.
Not necessarily true.

My DH works for a very large global company and his company requires him to take calls 24/7 but does not give him a separate phone; however, they do pay for 80% of his portion of the phone bill as well as any extra expenses associated with his phone when traveling to other countries. He's also allowed to expense phone upgrades. He's been with this company just shy of 20 years and the company has been sold several times and this policy has never changed.

IF he was to ever leave, he would just block all the numbers that he wouldn't want calls from anymore, but clients don't call him anyway, only other employees from different facilities that need his help. Not that big of a deal I think. Also, since he needs to be accessible, he wouldn't want to carry two phones around with him all the time. I did that for one job and it was a pain! Just a personal preference I think!

Old 09-09-2018, 05:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 867,368 times
First, you can often forward your office phone line to other numbers. So I would just give out only my office number, but forward my office number to my personal cell phone when I'm not in the office.

Second, if you want 2 cell phones anyhow, just get another one. I got an inexpensive prepaid one (which you can get at Target, Walmart and drugstores for $25 or so) as my "personal" cell phone, and it costs $25 per month.

Third, if your company pays for your cell phone, what does it matter? Just get whatever cell phone you want for a work one and expense it, and keep your personal cell phone. The out-of-pocket cost to you should be the same, whether or not the company provides one phone.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:40 PM

15,879 posts, read 7,885,321 times
Quote:
That's not what Oracle seems to say:

Containers
Using a technique called containerization, the Oracle Mobile Security Suite creates a secure
workspace in which corporate applications, email, and data are stored. Only authenticated
users can access the secure workspace to run the applications and access data, and only
applications provisioned or approved by corporate IT can be installed and executed from within
this secure workspace. All personal applications, photos, and content are managed and
accessible by the employee and controlled through data policies that limit how the content can
be shared, viewed, printed and more. If the device is lost or stolen,

corporate IT can remotely wipe the secure workspace without affecting any personal data.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/middleware/identity-management/mobile-security/secure-adoption-of-byod-wp-2199321.pdf
See section 4.2 here https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52734_01...s.htm#MOBAD370 it talks about factory resetting the devise. There are other comments there about viewing the device contents, etc. There's no way I would give my employer the ability to wipe a personal device. Fortunately, I have a company phone in addition to my personal phone, and the company phone has unlimited data, and can be used as a hotspot and when I travel overseas eats all of the foreign charges.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
See section 4.2 here https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E52734_01...s.htm#MOBAD370 it talks about factory resetting the devise. There are other comments there about viewing the device contents, etc. There's no way I would give my employer the ability to wipe a personal device. Fortunately, I have a company phone in addition to my personal phone, and the company phone has unlimited data, and can be used as a hotspot and when I travel overseas eats all of the foreign charges.
And I agree with you, no way I would give employer ability to wipe my data especially since software like this allows them to completely protect company data without doing so. You didn't read section 4.2 closely enough. Those capabilities are intended to apply to managed devices. I would insist that any such employer either provide the device if they want it to be a managed device, or implement it as an unmanaged device if they want me to bring my own.

Mobile devices are either managed or unmanaged. A managed device is governed by MDM+MAM (Mobile Device Management + Mobile Application Management) policies. Typically, managed devices are owned by the employer and provided to employees. An unmanaged device is a device that is governed by MAM policies only. Typically, unmanaged devices are employee-owned. The employee retains total control of their apps and data and the device itself, while the employer owns the apps and data in the Workspace.

Administrators have extensive control over managed devices, but can only view basic information about unmanaged devices.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:21 PM

5,123 posts, read 6,188,858 times
Quote:
Yes I think your experience may be highly unusual and non-representative. Certainly all these IT department of small to mid-size companies haven't privately developed such sophisiticated software. I want to know the names of these software apps so I can research and see if they can really access all of your phone contents and brick it, or can only operate within it's shell.

Next time you get a court order, plug your iphone into itunes, create a Backup, and when you get it back (or buy a new one) do a Restore. Or accidentally drop it in a river if you have personal secrets.

When they wanted our phones the first word we had was when someone from our security and IT team showed up with a Federal Agent. You handed the phone over to our IT person who gave you a receipt for it. They would come back to you later for one or more interviews when you had a chance to explain anything they found suspicious. That interview always began with 'You have the right to remain ...' even if you were not suspected of anything.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 PM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Between home offices and personal cell phones used for business....sweet deal for employers. My FREEDOM on the job?. PRICELESS!

Carry two phones? Not on your life. Or mine. Set up your contacts...you can block numbers when they are no longer relevant to your job. I have never been contacted by former business contacts once I left the company. on my “personal” phone. Not sure what your concern is. Same with old business cards floating around landfills.
I don't want to get into that. I simply don't want my number known by random people throughout the organization, which given my role, it could easily get passed around.

Quote:
And I agree with you, no way I would give employer ability to wipe my data especially since software like this allows them to completely protect company data without doing so. You didn't read section 4.2 closely enough. Those capabilities are intended to apply to managed devices. I would insist that any such employer either provide the device if they want it to be a managed device, or implement it as an unmanaged device if they want me to bring my own.

Mobile devices are either managed or unmanaged. A managed device is governed by MDM+MAM (Mobile Device Management + Mobile Application Management) policies. Typically, managed devices are owned by the employer and provided to employees. An unmanaged device is a device that is governed by MAM policies only. Typically, unmanaged devices are employee-owned. The employee retains total control of their apps and data and the device itself, while the employer owns the apps and data in the Workspace.

Administrators have extensive control over managed devices, but can only view basic information about unmanaged devices.
I couldn't dig around through iMessages or such, but I could see things like installed apps or music. Imagine if you have a political news app on your personal phone, but IT or management sees it, doesn't agree with the view, and wants to penalize you for it. They can craft virtually any reason to search or wipe your device.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 PM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times
Quote:
Look, we can conjure up sensational paranoia all day long. Do you have any evidence that this is actually happening? Is there anything that would prevent that court from including your second personal device not used for business? (Can't know for sure if it was used for business or not until you seize it and examine it.) What about those who work for home? Should they worry about the sheriff showing at the door with a warrant to search their home and confiscate any documents or computer equipment?

There's lots of talk here about what an employer "could" potentially do. I'm not sure if those doing the talking actually know what they are talking about. What exactly is the name and developer of this software that companies install that allows them to access everything on the phone or to brick a phone? If it's an iphone it has to be in the Apple store so what is it?
I don't remember for certain what my last employer use for MDM, but I think it was AirWatch. Whatever it was, you could simply right click a device and wipe it. It wasn't a cryptic or hidden thing, and it didn't require a supervisor/second user override. A pissed off IT admin could wipe everyone's phone in the organization through a distributed policy on that system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment