Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:07 AM

669 posts, read 589,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
What's the difference? If you are going to carry the second work phone with you at all times during the weekend and have decided to answer it anytime it rings, just do it all with one phone.
And set up the ring tone option for “business” contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,172,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
Thanks for the continued replies everyone. The recent feedback has been insightful and appreciated. This isn’t about not growing up or needing to grow up as one post indicated. This isn’t my first time having a job where clients and work needed to reach me. I’m glad that many who have experience with this situation understand what I posted and have shared their thoughts and advice.

The more I think about it, the more I’m leaning towards two devices. Losing my number and giving the company access to my personal data just doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll continue to pay my line and let them pay for the other. IF by chance the company doesn’t wipe the phone and uses an app that creates a separate profile, then maybe I will consider a single line. I will be meeting with my senior director on Monday and I will add this on the agenda.

Another thing to think about. No matter how reputable the company is they are subject to lawsuits. What do you do when you get a subpoena to turn over your device in connection with a lawsuit? Are you willing to lose all your personal information? The company may not add any software, may not reserve the right to 'brick' the phone, but a court order overrules all that. Or the company gets a cyber attack. Do you want your personal information revealed in that case.

I also always had the two phones running different OSs. It made it easier to ensure I did not use either phone for the wrong purpose. I'll admit I learned that accidently when the company I worked for years ago used a different platform than I had. A few years later when we got involved in an investigation I was able to easily state under oath that I had not used my personal phone on a contract. When I showed the investigator the two different phones he dropped that line of questioning. (It actually made it into the final report that several members of the team ran different type phones which helped ensure there was no 'cross contamination'. I always continued it after that.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 AM

23,174 posts, read 12,370,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Another thing to think about. No matter how reputable the company is they are subject to lawsuits. What do you do when you get a subpoena to turn over your device in connection with a lawsuit? Are you willing to lose all your personal information? The company may not add any software, may not reserve the right to 'brick' the phone, but a court order overrules all that. Or the company gets a cyber attack. Do you want your personal information revealed in that case.

Look, we can conjure up sensational paranoia all day long. Do you have any evidence that this is actually happening? Is there anything that would prevent that court from including your second personal device not used for business? (Can't know for sure if it was used for business or not until you seize it and examine it.) What about those who work for home? Should they worry about the sheriff showing at the door with a warrant to search their home and confiscate any documents or computer equipment?

There's lots of talk here about what an employer "could" potentially do. I'm not sure if those doing the talking actually know what they are talking about. What exactly is the name and developer of this software that companies install that allows them to access everything on the phone or to brick a phone? If it's an iphone it has to be in the Apple store so what is it?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Look, we can conjure up sensational paranoia all day long. Do you have any evidence that this is actually happening? Is there anything that would prevent that court from including your second personal device not used for business? (Can't know for sure if it was used for business or not until you seize it and examine it.) What about those who work for home? Should they worry about the sheriff showing at the door with a warrant to search their home and confiscate any documents or computer equipment?

There's lots of talk here about what an employer "could" potentially do. I'm not sure if those doing the talking actually know what they are talking about. What exactly is the name and developer of this software that companies install that allows them to access everything on the phone or to brick a phone? If it's an iphone it has to be in the Apple store so what is it?

Yes - Has happened to me three times in 10 years. One commercial 'Infringement of trade secrets' and two network security investigations. A friend got caught up in a corporate network ransom situation where all devices connected to the corporate network were compromised. And no it does not have to be in the Apple store. The software is not commercially available. For people in our company that worked from home yes you did have to be concerned about having authorities show up and demand access. As part of the 'Work From Home' policy you signed you agreed to it. No search warrant needed to search anywhere that had access to your local network. Also the word 'could' is used because of various NDAs and consent agreements that prevent disclosing particular details and company names.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes - Has happened to me three times in 10 years. One commercial 'Infringement of trade secrets' and two network security investigations. A friend got caught up in a corporate network ransom situation where all devices connected to the corporate network were compromised. And no it does not have to be in the Apple store. The software is not commercially available. For people in our company that worked from home yes you did have to be concerned about having authorities show up and demand access. As part of the 'Work From Home' policy you signed you agreed to it. No search warrant needed to search anywhere that had access to your local network. Also the word 'could' is used because of various NDAs and consent agreements that prevent disclosing particular details and company names.

Once again, what's the name of the software? Only way you're installing software not in Apple store is if you jailbreak the phone and that's illegal. So this (whatever exactly "this" is) has happened to you 3 times? Anyone else here have this experience?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,407,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
I’m still deciding on what to do, but I’m curious for anyone who has the BYOD option, do you use one cell phone or two? If it was your choice at work, what would you do?
If you have a Google Gmail account you can get a Google Voice phone number for free. If you don't have gmail, sign up for it, and get a free Google Voice phone number. You give this phone number to your work and clients. You can easily have it ring through to your cell phone or any phone number you wish. When you return a phone call, you can use Google Voice App to do that too, or you can call to the Google voice number and make your call through that, so your Google Voice phone number shows up on the caller ID.

This way, you don't have to give out your personal phone number to work or clients. Also, you can tell it not to ring through and it will send you e-mail that you have a missed called or that you have voicemail.

Google voice is great for this. This allows you to turn off the ring to your phone after hours, so you don't have work and clients interrupting you.

What happens when you leave the company if you gave them your personal cell phone number, you might still get calls from clients for years cause your phone number for support is still in their internet.

Personally, if an employer expected me to use my personal cell phone for this, I would require they give me a corporate cell phone to use. Carrying two cell phones is OK, but after work, I'd leave one of them at home unless my job was paid to be on-call.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Once again, what's the name of the software? Only way you're installing software not in Apple store is if you jailbreak the phone and that's illegal. So this (whatever exactly "this" is) has happened to you 3 times? Anyone else here have this experience?

Software was privately developed. It was not publicly available. You took your phone into the IT shop, they linked it to their apple network downloaded the software and you were done. Took 10 minutes or so. Similar process with Androids. As I said my phone got caught up in three investigations. Lost access to it for periods of 3-30 days each time they were looking for downloads that had been made to the phone, transmissions made from it. Twice I got the phone back in an 'as delivered from the factory' condition. Once I was told it was so compromised they paid me for it and put it through a shredder. All three situations were handled under the agreement employees signed as part of the 'use your own phone' program.

My experience may be rare. It may be tied to the type of company and the market I worked in. I've just never seen any reason to co-mingle my lives. I've always been subject to being available at any time but I just don't like mixing the two.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Software was privately developed. It was not publicly available. You took your phone into the IT shop, they linked it to their apple network downloaded the software and you were done. Took 10 minutes or so. Similar process with Androids. As I said my phone got caught up in three investigations. Lost access to it for periods of 3-30 days each time they were looking for downloads that had been made to the phone, transmissions made from it. Twice I got the phone back in an 'as delivered from the factory' condition. Once I was told it was so compromised they paid me for it and put it through a shredder. All three situations were handled under the agreement employees signed as part of the 'use your own phone' program.

My experience may be rare. It may be tied to the type of company and the market I worked in. I've just never seen any reason to co-mingle my lives. I've always been subject to being available at any time but I just don't like mixing the two.

Yes I think your experience may be highly unusual and non-representative. Certainly all these IT department of small to mid-size companies haven't privately developed such sophisiticated software. I want to know the names of these software apps so I can research and see if they can really access all of your phone contents and brick it, or can only operate within it's shell.

Next time you get a court order, plug your iphone into itunes, create a Backup, and when you get it back (or buy a new one) do a Restore. Or accidentally drop it in a river if you have personal secrets.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:39 AM

715 posts, read 1,079,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you really need TWO high dollar phones? My Samsung smartphone was $100. What it 'lacks' is better picture taking quality, memory for photos and tons of apps. (I don't need that). Do you need that for work?
Depends on what is high dollar to you. I am a tech enthusiast. “Sufficient use” is not enough for me. I sometimes compare it to people who spend a lot of money on wine or other expensive alcohol. Water is sufficient. No one needs wine and it’s a waste of money, but connessieurs (and Claire Dunphy types) will pale and never speak to you again if you said such a thing aloud. I’m that way when someone tells me that “cheap tech” is good enough. If I’m using it for longer than a temp solution in an emergency, then my tech needs to be what I want it to be.

Besides, I already have an iPhone 8 Plus which is new from last year’s launch. It will be more than sufficient to continue to use as a work phone for the next year or two. I planned on getting the new Xs Plus (the bigger version of the X, droool) this year before this job even came about. I’ve been waiting for that phone and it shall be mine. The only change is that I won’t sell or return the 8 Plus like I normally would do. It’s always good to have a backup phone anyway. So whatever I decide between separation of work and personal or having a backup phone in case of a loss/repair need, I’ll be covered in either scenario.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:57 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,941,866 times
Quote:
So what? You're not losing any information. Keep your phone backed up (you have to try NOT to have it backed up in the cloud today). What are you trying to hide that would be a big deal if your personal phone activity was turned over in the very rare chance of a court case?

The amount of paranoia in this thread is crazy. Companies aren't going to dig through your personal info. They barely have time to keep up with work, let alone do things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment