Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:14 PM

7,955 posts, read 7,915,771 times

Advertisements

Is average a good thing? Most still do not have a degree even in the northeast. Most might not have a car because they live in a city, most might not have a passport etc.

You have to do more then the minimum in order to standout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 12:16 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,194,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That is typical for some not to post a source, which by the way means they don't have one. Also typical how they will ignore posts like yours all because they cannot produce said source.
okay so i am trying again. what does average mean?

Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,079,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Is average a good thing? Most still do not have a degree even in the northeast. Most might not have a car because they live in a city, most might not have a passport etc.

You have to do more then the minimum in order to standout.
Average is good, the issue is now you need to be not just better than good but great if not the best.

As for not having a degree, not having a car or a passport, those aren't total needs. Until very recently, degrees aren't a total need to snag a job. As you mentioned, if you have a good mass transit system that it is easy to walk to stops, you can save the amount it takes for car loan payments, insurance, gas, etc. and use it elsewhere (savings, 401K, stocks, etc.) while only pay $4 a day or $120 something for monthly passes. As for passports, until after 2001, they weren't even needed for Canada. Let's remember, the US is pretty big. I don't think I'll ever see it all and I've been to several different states (somewhere in the 10s) in my life already.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,654,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Ask Larry Caldwell since he seems to think half the population is below average. I suspect a source will not be provided as usual to back up his claim.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,194,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Ask Larry Caldwell since he seems to think half the population is below average. I suspect a source will not be provided as usual to back up his claim.
i don't need to ask Larry Caldwell that. i understand the point he is making.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Here's your definition according to Merriam-Webster

Quote:
average
noun av·er·age \ˈa-v(ə-)rij\
: a number that is calculated by adding quantities together and then dividing the total by the number of quantities

: a level that is typical of a group, class, or series : a middle point between extremes

Old 02-13-2015, 01:43 PM

7,955 posts, read 7,915,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Average is good, the issue is now you need to be not just better than good but great if not the best.

As for not having a degree, not having a car or a passport, those aren't total needs. Until very recently, degrees aren't a total need to snag a job. As you mentioned, if you have a good mass transit system that it is easy to walk to stops, you can save the amount it takes for car loan payments, insurance, gas, etc. and use it elsewhere (savings, 401K, stocks, etc.) while only pay $4 a day or $120 something for monthly passes. As for passports, until after 2001, they weren't even needed for Canada. Let's remember, the US is pretty big. I don't think I'll ever see it all and I've been to several different states (somewhere in the 10s) in my life already.
But the other thing is the more someone can manage the more it shows up. Someone has to budget themselves to have a car so that means they know how to budget and now to comply with legalities (license, emissions, registration, excise taxes etc)

If someone told me they put together a pinball machine the utility of that is pretty low. However I know it costs about $10,000 and has nearly 10,000 parts. So the machine itself might not be of worth to me but the ability to finance let alone build one is quite impressive. One might argue that it is easy to just comply..well not always. I know of affluent areas that nearly lost a 80 million dollar grant due to lack of compliance.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But the other thing is the more someone can manage the more it shows up. Someone has to budget themselves to have a car so that means they know how to budget and now to comply with legalities (license, emissions, registration, excise taxes etc)
One can budget without a car too. I was just starting how having good and fairly reliable mass transit could remove up to three costs. Food can not be replaced by using mass transit, you would still have to budget. Utilities and rent while can be different if it is paying half or full but still budgeted. Also that may work but many places of worknow discount that and even coursework as it wasn't in a workplace setting.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:50 PM

685 posts, read 726,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
She might not be as bright as you think. I never graduated college. I barely passed HS with a 2.0 GPA. 10 years ago, I was making $12/hr. Now, I make about $90k/yr. I am not the youngest and best looking guy either. I'll be 40 next year.

One thing I did that it much easier was going to career skills classes. I learned how to create a resume and relax an interview and be myself, instead of being all stressed out and rehearsed.

While I am not the smartest, most handsome, most educated, youngest candidate, I stand on the shoulders of giants.
1. brocco: I don't know what average means. If I missed something, let me know please.
2. move4ward: I've known her since birth. You don't. But you're better than a person you don't know a fraction about. Very smart analysis.

Yes, you can make your way through life without a degree. I almost did that. What I'll never know is how much could I have made with a degree and I'll never know that. I transferred and lost credits. But with the help of my company, I completed it a little before I retired and it was worthless but that didn't matter. I wasn't lacking in making money or finding a job. It's really difficult to understand what people in 2015 make. You cannot do a comparison to someone who graduated six years ago because of inflation. So, your $90k now may be the equivalent to $60k six years ago. I'm not figuring out the formula used to do this. With her degree and GPA and the university she attended, you may stand on the shoulders of giants but they may be Lilliputian giants.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM

105 posts, read 226,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here's your definition according to Merriam-Webster
yep...some people don't understand the difference between median and average

maybe an example would help

Say you have these group of number

The median is 55 and the average is 41.6....only 40% are below the average
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment