Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM

685 posts, read 726,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Look out! There's an unstoppable freight train of call center and low-paying retail jobs coming our way!!!
ShampooBanana? That's really fun. Actually, most call centers I need them are overseas. That means I don't call them. I was pleasantly surprised when Apple's customer service originated in Research Triangle Park. But after a while the guys here were inept. They'd start reading their script or thinking on their own and couldn't help resolve issues. I stopped using them and became proficient enough (for the most part) to do my own debugging. So, that train isn't stopping here with customer support.

Low-paying retail jobs and fast-food chains still can't be outsourced. So, those jobs will remain here. IT used to keep American faces to just show the public we're still here but it was a cover-up because the main jobs in various companies were overseas. I lived through it and saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,058,998 times
The point, The Maleman, is it is smart policy not to try to reform other employer's deadwood. Now again should we run out of candidates with good records, that would be a game changer. Or if the ex employee both understood why he was cut, and did something after it, to show us why he/she would not be repeating his/her previous patterns, that could change things. (Few are that wise, and willing to recognize their failures of the past. Sad.)

In general, people repeat patterns. The kid with a good work ethic at his first job will retain that same work ethic for a lifetime, and the inverse is also true. Underperformers tend to underperform again and again. The inverse is also true.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:51 PM

325 posts, read 258,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The point, The Maleman, is it is smart policy not to try to reform other employer's deadwood. Now again should we run out of candidates with good records, that would be a game changer. Or if the ex employee both understood why he was cut, and did something after it, to show us why he/she would not be repeating his/her previous patterns, that could change things. (Few are that wise, and willing to recognize their failures of the past. Sad.)

In general, people repeat patterns. The kid with a good work ethic at his first job will retain that same work ethic for a lifetime, and the inverse is also true. Underperformers tend to underperform again and again. The inverse is also true.
DIGNITY
a sense of pride in oneself; self-respect.
"it was beneath his dignity to shout"
synonyms: self-respect, pride, self-esteem, self-worth
"he had lost his dignity"

This is what motivates people. When you take this away, you remove a person's value to society. When you promote this, it leads to genuine and lasting change of undesirable behaviors. Failing at a position you are not suited for is part of the process of learning your limits and finding your place. It should not be harshly penalized. Yet you suggest if one is laid off from any position it indicates that they are of no use to any other employer in any capacity, unless they should be desperate for bodies. The pervasive presence of this attitude has unnecessarily chained millions into a cycle of misery.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:01 PM

685 posts, read 726,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are you willfully denying that if you choose any metric, such as intelligence, motivation, employability, emotional stability, strength, courage, Weight, ANYTHING, that, ranged across the 300,000,000 Americans, or the billions of people in the whole world, using YOUR choice of mean, median, or mode, there will be, within statistically acceptible variation, approximately 50% of the population above, and 50% of the population below that mean, median, or mode point? Across such a large 'n', we approximate a bell curve, there is no way around it.

It it not necessary to cite the source of a mathematical truth.

If you do not understand mathematics or statistics, no number of citations can help you.
I've read your response and I'm going to take a small leap and put this back on Larry Caldwell with a couple of additions: 1) I'm concerned this course will continue to take the thread off course. The thread becomes about mathematics and statistics. 2) "Truths" can change, even mathematical ones.

The article was phrased in such a way to get our attention and it certainly did as others here have already stated.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,414,535 times
meanwhile they are trying to offer $10-12 per hour and wonder why nobody wants to work there.... what's sad is the people who choose to take this wage. People should be holding out for more especially if it's fast paced blue collar manufacturing work.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,291,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
The economy is so great, most people actually have two jobs!

I don't doubt unemployment is decreasing, but underemployment is increasing.

The funniest post I read on this site since 2015 started. lol

Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 PM

325 posts, read 258,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
meanwhile they are trying to offer $10-12 per hour and wonder why nobody wants to work there.... what's sad is the people who choose to take this wage. People should be holding out for more especially if it's fast paced blue collar manufacturing work.
Blue collar is nearly dead, it's now the polo-shirt jobs such as fast food and retail that have absorbed many former blue collar workers. Part time no benefits just enough to meet the requirements to keep your welfare jobs.
As recently as the year 2000 you could pull into any town in the US and get work out of a day labor service. Not anymore. They're all gone.
Now those guys are all holding signs at the freeway ramp. Willing to work but forced to beg.
Many youth are becoming professional students, just trying to live on financial assistance and loans as long as they can. Many feel there is no hope for the future. I fear they are right.
My source: Talking with ordinary people all over the US.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:02 PM

7,956 posts, read 7,922,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Low-paying retail jobs and fast-food chains still can't be outsourced. So, those jobs will remain here.
Huh? Where do you get your information from? Retail can easily be automated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp9176vm7Co

As for fast food that's been automated a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRyscGaXM_0

Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,829,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
You haven't a clue what I think. But that is besides the point. The point is you have no credible source to back up your claim.
And you have no reason to question my statement, other than an unfounded belief that everyone should be successful regardless of their lack of ability. You can quibble over a percentage point or three, but the fact is that a large portion of the US population is naturally inferior and will never amount to anything.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,829,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are you willfully denying that if you choose any metric, such as intelligence, motivation, employability, emotional stability, strength, courage, Weight, ANYTHING, that, ranged across the 300,000,000 Americans, or the billions of people in the whole world, using YOUR choice of mean, median, or mode, there will be, within statistically acceptible variation, approximately 50% of the population above, and 50% of the population below that mean, median, or mode point? Across such a large 'n', we approximate a bell curve, there is no way around it.

It it not necessary to cite the source of a mathematical truth.

If you do not understand mathematics or statistics, no number of citations can help you.
Thank you.

In a generation where everyone got a trophy for showing up, I think it's hard for them to understand that is an artificial political stance. The world doesn't act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment