Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The word is "supposed".

An MBA, with skills? That would be a novelty.
Thanks grammar poster! Next time I will take the time to check my quick posting as I know it needs to be to the level of a memo or something I submit at work, after all, that is what forum entertainment is all about!

Anyway, yes, skills, you know all those classes that are in the program. Your MBA not teach you anything? Heck, the statistical and project management training alone makes it worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I realize that, but what's the point in pursing something that doesn't interest you? That was the point being made.
You pursue something to make money, you can go to the library or something for interests. The woman in this story obviously pursued her degrees with the purpose of making money, and she so far has failed at it.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The word is "supposed".

An MBA, with skills? That would be a novelty.
If you graduated with an MBA and don't have any skills, you did something very, very wrong. Classmates of mine were able to pass the CFA levels 1 and 2 with MBA knowledge alone and no additional studying.

This morning I was reducing the correlation related to geographical sectors in the funds of 401k accounts. That was a skill I learned in my MBA.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"If one attends Columbia or Princeton, there are far better chances of being placed in top tier corporations"
Perhaps but post 2008 I don't think anyone can realistically advocate for top tier corporations. Like it not but after the bailouts business isn't nearly as attractive as what it once was. I've seen more volume going to the public sector and non profits in the past five years.
Are you serious? Offer a job at JPMorgan or Goldman to 100 students and let's see how many turn them down. There is a niche that opts for public sector and non profits but most motivated and ambitious students still target the top tier corporations and I doubt that is going to change. "Bailout business" was a phase and it has passed.

Look at the placement report from HBS, Columbia Business School and NYU. How many opted for non profit and government jobs? Hardly 5%!

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/da...tatistics.html
http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/recruit...eport_2012.pdf
http://www.stern.nyu.edu/portal-part...ement-reports/

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I found a decent job within a couple of months of graduating and I had no internships.
Such a dumb argument! Just because you scored a job without internship, does that mean that is what everyone should do? Having an internship is a very valuable asset and a must in a very competitive job market.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Majoring in English = Fruit from the 'Whatever' attitude.
what I find intriguing with this group is when going to school it's all about education for education sake and not about money. Iit's all about developing critical thinking skills and blah blah.. It`s about the college experience and not at all about money. But after graduation it soon warps into money and how they were duped into believing college was the way.

Last edited by nicet4; 12-24-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
While this woman did make a costly mistake, she can turn it around.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
While this woman did make a costly mistake, she can turn it around.
She can easily turn it around; for example, she can start seeing how it takes to move up in retail, including Goodwill, as she has the educational requirements to do so, perhaps apply for internal promotions, or look outward at Walmart and start off as a zone manager (whatever the first line manager is called), many opportunities for her.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
That's it. To a certain extent you can work your way up even if you come from a non-elite school but it's soo much easier when you graduate from the right places. There are so fewer hoops to jump through.
A whole bunch of H1B workers didnt graduate from prestigious schools. I didnt even graduate from a good school. Heck I didnt even have good grades. All I did was start at a small place for 2-3 years then later I moved to the company where the guys from prestigious schools go to work. So I'm just behind a litte bit

Old 12-24-2013, 10:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Getting an MBA before you have any experience makes no sense.

It's a degree that can move you higher up on the ladder, not typically for getting your foot in the door for a business career.

English is actually one of the better Humanities majors. It's somewhat confining and there is a market for English majors.

But it's tough right now for everyone. Plus, it doesn't say when she got her degrees. It might have been recently.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
what I find intriguing with this group is when going to school it's all about education for education sake and not about money. Iit's all about developing critical thinking skills and blah blah.. It`s about the college experience and not at all about money. But after graduation it soon warps into money and hoe they were duped into believing college was the way.
First off, with these situations that are presented, we're taking a look into the worst of the worst case scenarios most of the time. The majority of people aren't necessarily experiencing this.

Secondly, education is still important and people should value it. It's stopped amazing me how many people on here come out overly-critical and bashing a college education while intensively lacking the most fundamental critical thinking and grammatical skills themselves. I think the ranting goes a little something like this: "Boy, look at all these winers. i'm so glad i didnt go to colage myself. These winey brats are so entitled, they think everything should be handed to them. There in for a long road ahead if they think its going to get any easyer. Your going to need to stop crying and figure something out to make money!!!"

Thirdly, people are frustrated because they didn't think that their (often times expensive and difficult) education would make them unemployable. I'll give them that at least. It can be frustrating out there.

Last edited by Tekkie; 12-24-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment