Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM

37,613 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
"If you go to school and learn, you could become anything you want to be," says the Baby Boomer. We, Millennials, were sold a false dream as kids.
Bull. A degree doesn't guarantee anything. Never has, never will. I was never promised any such thing and I don't know anyone that was. Hard work, drive, and perseverance, is much more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's just not true.

Most of the doctors I know were at the top of their class all of their life.

Which means they got As in EVERYTHING.

President Obama was a Poli Sci Major and then went to Harvard Law. How do I think he would have done if he was a Berkeley Comp Sci major? I think he would have been a straight A student or close to it.

I think a lot of people can succeed at both, which is not say that some people are better at one than the other. But it's not correct to say that you're either right or left brained. Silliness.
C'mon, the President of the United States? Outside of a few who will remain nameless, I hardly think the POTUS is representative of the general population.

I'm only saying that MOST people have aptitudes in specific areas of study over another/s. With the exception of a very small percentage of "simply good at everything" folks, even highly intelligent humans have both strengths and weakness. Trust me, I went to a prep school full of "future doctors" & Ivy Leaguers - so I know who struggled through the liberal arts, and would not have been happy following those career paths. Getting As in a subject doesn't mean you'll excel in its advanced studies, nor that you will contribute to or be happy in the related professions.

Sooooo why would anyone suggest a non-technical thinker major in engineering? If you have to fight for that A grade, you probably shouldn't consider said subject as a lifelong career. Get what I'm trying to say now? On a personal note, it sucks that my strengths lean more towards the non-lucrative (music, writing, etc)... but thankfully I found a decent-paying career which suits my skills, as is the perfect conclusion to this issue.

Finally, I never said the left vs right-brained thing was literal - which is why I added "as they call it," implying that I don't buy into the concept myself. Just not sure how else to phrase it, when I'm trying to differentiate between creative-type thinkers vs "technical" thinkers.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-27-2013 at 05:14 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
"Creative vs technical" is actually a pretty good description.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Bull. A degree doesn't guarantee anything. Never has, never will. I was never promised any such thing and I don't know anyone that was. Hard work, drive, and perseverance, is much more important.
Very true. There have ALWAYS been those majors that people knew were limited as far as jobs. Art majors very often found themselves working in gas stations --- nothing at all new about needing to do some research on what major you should declare and work towards.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Um, the point is that there is no degree that can magically guarantee someone a job. Even people with business and tech degree can find themselves struggling to obtain employment.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I wouldn't say that any degree guarantees employment but frankly in areas where there are few participants it's pretty much the only way to get experience.

One could try to make the argument that people were "promised" things but then again baby boomers were promised that somehow retirement exists when it was largely a social experiment made in Germany during the 1880's! No one has ever specifically stated how tens upon tens of millions of people are going to be able to retire while they sell the same stocks off at roughly the same time in their lives over a period of 20 years (2015-2035). Sure the market is up now retirees have to sell their investments off for retirement. Social security obviously is not enough. It is hard to justify investing in such a liquid asset when the participants are using the same time frames.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is very true.

And it doesn't help that there are people here throwing around 60K salaries as the number to expect when you get out of school, some of them housewives and trolls.
If you graduate with a degree in computer science, math or physics, I can see how you could be making 60K within, say, 3 years of graduating, even if you come from a state school.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
If you graduate with a degree in computer science, math or physics, I can see how you could be making 60K within, say, 3 years of graduating, even if you come from a state school.
Could people PLEASE quit slamming state schools? There are some damn good ones out there, and not everyone can afford the cost of or wants to shoulder the enormous debt involved in going to a private university.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I don't see what specifically is negative about a state school. Especially given that private schools are far more likely to close. From a funding perspective there have been arguments that the Federal government is going to cut off FAFSA loans to private institutions. Besides if you are going to spend tens of thousands on anything wouldn't you rather deal with one that is more open with policies, rules, procedures and financial books?

Private school does not impress people like it did before. Even from the professor perspective it still doesn't make sense to try to work in a private school outside of a adjunct. Tenure in public education is pretty open. How does one get it in private? Who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment