Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 555,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
You're absolutely correct. The MBA is from University of Phoenix, according to her LinkedIn profile. That degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on, plus she's probably got student loan debt out the wazoo!
What a terrible, horrible choice she's made.
She'd probably have been much better off with only her useless BA in english.
An MBA from Uphoenix might have made things even worse and jeopardized her financial health for the rest of her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,788,266 times
I'm sick of people saying an English degree is worthless. You have to make that degree work. If you don't try, then of course it'll be worthless. I don't regret my English degree or my masters. What I regret is not networking enough.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,150,618 times
people need to realize if you go to college for english you need to teach or your goign to basically be without a degree. all these people go for leisure studies, communications and nonsense degrees that dont prepare you for anything and then are surprised they can't find jobs. i went for communication but minored in international businessand marketing and i can sell myself nad the applications of my degree. i still dont think its a good degree to have though

Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,622,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
"If you go to school and learn, you could become anything you want to be," says the Baby Boomer. We, Millennials, were sold a false dream as kids.

Vanessa Powell, 29, works full time in a Goodwill warehouse in Seattle for $9.25 an hour. She holds a bachelor's degree in English and a master's in business administration.
I live in Seattle, make 3 times that amount, and I DON'T have a college degree. What I do have is 20 years experience in a skilled trade that is in demand.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 AM

278 posts, read 310,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Majoring in English = Fruit from the 'Whatever' attitude.
Yup. I feel no pity. You were blessed with the funding to get an education and blew it.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Let's see. I went to what many see as a lesser university (Univ. of Houston), got a BBA in accounting, and I make $60k/yr. But you're right. Attending a good school is what matters, not so much what you get your degree in. After all, I should have gone to one of the best schools in the state, Univ. of Texas, and majored in political science like my best friend in high school did. Instead of making $60k/yr., I would be volunteering for political campaigns and still living with mom and dad at 29 years of age like he does. Yep, I'm kicking myself for going to that random state school.
Had I graduated from the first school I went to, in a hard science or math field, I'd have probably been handed a very nice paying job without having to do much to get it, because it was the kind of school where all the high paying firms went to court the graduates. I'm not saying that i'd have been unqualified for such jobs. Just that they'd have been easy as pie to get. I'd certainly be making 2x as much as I am now.

Instead of graduating from one of the top 3 schools in my country, I didn't take things seriously and dropped out. I eventually went back to a lesser school and graduated with a degree in math. I'm doing alright but graduating from the top school would have been better in every single way. I'd have been handed more interesting, better paying, more international jobs and I'd have spent my time with more interesting people with better connections.

Price was not much of a concern because all schools cost more or less the same here.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,788,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
people need to realize if you go to college for english you need to teach or your goign to basically be without a degree. all these people go for leisure studies, communications and nonsense degrees that dont prepare you for anything and then are surprised they can't find jobs. i went for communication but minored in international businessand marketing and i can sell myself nad the applications of my degree. i still dont think its a good degree to have though
English isn't just for teaching. This is a really narrow way of thinking.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM

989 posts, read 1,887,436 times
I think I'd rather drink bleach then get a MBA. The subject matter couldn't get anymore boring.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,965,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I think I'd rather drink bleach then get a MBA. The subject matter couldn't get anymore boring.
It is not suppose to be exciting, it is suppose to teach skills.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:56 AM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Yup. I feel no pity. You were blessed with the funding to get an education and blew it.
A degree in english isn't too brilliant but it need not be a professional death sentence.
You can always find semi-decent office jobs with that background. I have a colleague who studied literature in university. She's not using her degree directly but it did allow her to be hired here. She does all kinds of admin stuff around the office and she's a decently smart girl. I think you can become an insurance agent or underwriter too. Any degree works and you certainly make way, way more than at that warehouse job.
The woman in the story is a very poor decision maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment