Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,403,338 times

Advertisements

The best place to work swing is Vegas. After work you can hit the gym at midnight, andmeet other people there. Then sswing by walmart, shop, go meet friends at the bar, go out for breakfast for to bed at six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM

334 posts, read 451,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like Velvet I found the 3-11 shift the one I was least able to get things done on. You don't feel like going to bed right after work so you stay up. Since I've never been able to sleep much past 5AM I'd be up early but bleary. Would just sit around.

Meals were the worst, 1/2 hour off the line was hardly enough time to turn around if you were working at the far end of the plant or were ass deep in something that took 10 minutes to scrub off, so I'd end up not eating anything or just a sandwich. If someone hadn't ****ed around with everyone's lunches that is.

We had one guy who would urinate in everyone's lunch box and another one who would take a bite out of people's sandwiches and put them back.

Gee ... where to start ... I guess you never heard of window blinds or window blackouts, why were you having a MEAL for lunch OR cleaning out the micro, your food shouldn't be touching anything anyway.

Why would you keep your lunch where someone could mess with it if that was a problem?

A half-hour is plenty of time for a LUNCH.

When I worked second I had PLENTY of time to get things done.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Gee ... where to start ... I guess you never heard of window blinds or window blackouts, why were you having a MEAL for lunch OR cleaning out the micro, your food shouldn't be touching anything anyway.

I don't quite get your point here. If you mean my wakeup time, blinds wouldn't matter-internal clock. What's a micro? Oh, a microwave. I didn't say anything about cooking.

Food touching? I have this thing about working on an 18 inch clogged sewer main and washing my hands before I eat. An eccentricity, I know. Or being covered with sand from the Batch House.

Why would you keep your lunch where someone could mess with it if that was a problem?
Company policy, "Lunches will be stored in the Employee Break Room".

A half-hour is plenty of time for a LUNCH.
Good. I sometimes didn't have it. My example used the far end of the factory which was an 8 minute walk from the break room. The walk being accomplished, per company work rules, after you clocked out for break. Add a wash up and you've killed 15 minutes of the 30. Remember you have that 8 minute walk back to your work location.

When I worked second I had PLENTY of time to get things done.
OK.

Bold for consistency, nothing more.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
OK.

Bold for consistency, nothing more.
Resetting your body's clock is easy.

If the company knows about the tampering with lunches and did nothing but tells you you must keep them there I would tell them sorry, but NO. I would keep my lunch at my work station.

The local Health Department would be interested in peed in lunches and the company did nothing about it

Clocking out for lunch when you are not leaving the property is VERY unusual, perhaps you are doing something you don't need to do wasting time.

Sounds like a real nice place to work and/OR you are just helpless in a work environment.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM

45,518 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Resetting your body's clock is easy.

If the company knows about the tampering with lunches and did nothing but tells you you must keep them there I would tell them sorry, but NO. I would keep my lunch at my work station.

The local Health Department would be interested in peed in lunches and the company did nothing about it

Clocking out for lunch when you are not leaving the property is VERY unusual, perhaps you are doing something you don't need to do wasting time.

Sounds like a real nice place to work and/OR you are just helpless in a work environment.
Haven't worked there for over 30 years.

Resetting your body clock is next to impossible when working swing shift, changing each week.

The clocking out was contractual depending on which department you worked. Factory schlubs had no option about leaving the property for lunch, you couldn't. Again contractual.

Not enough room at the work stations to store lunches and you changed stations throughout the shift.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM

415 posts, read 765,732 times
Default OP, wait till you have a baby,lol...

ya i work 2nd shift, I'm at work right now, 3 pm to 11pm...i have been doing 2nd shift for about 13 years out of the last 20 on n off years being a building engineer...It's not bad....way better then a year and a half of my life where i had to do all 3 shifts in a week= 2 days, 2 second shifts and one over night..was nuts...

i eat between 5 and 6.. then have fruit or yogurt around 9:30, whats cool is i work alone...i have dinner when hungry '' now as for getting home and going to sleep...some nights i can do it, I have 2 little girls, so i have to be up by 8am as my wife heads to work...but have to say about 3 nights a week im up till around 1:30 or 2ish...it does catch up with me...and my girls sure dont sleep in on weekends, ugh...

Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,671,469 times
Work

Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Haven't worked there for over 30 years.

Resetting your body clock is next to impossible when working swing shift, changing each week.

See now THAT is what I know as "swing" shift, I guess second shift is now called swing, which makes no sense.

I do agree the changing all the time is close to impossible to get used to but that is not what is being talking about.

Years ago I applied for a job where you changed shifts every few weeks, you worked a few weeks one shift got x days off, worked another shift got x days off, then worked the remaining shift, the place never closed, it ran 24/7.

I was kinda happy they never called me.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Worked 3:30 PM - 2:00 AM, 6:00 PM - 2:30 AM at one place. I'd usually come in and nearly immediately go to bed (stayed up to 4 max), got up 11-12, ate lunch 12-1, then go to the gym on the 3:30 shift, and eat at 7:30. On the 6 PM shift, I might kick around the house until about 3:30-4 and go for a work out, dinner was at 10. I was commuting an hour each way at this position.

Worked 1:15 - 10 PM at another position. Lunch was at 4:30. This was worse because I stayed up until 2-3 AM most nights and got up 11-12. Didn't really get anything done before work and everything was closed after work.

I never changed my diet and I've never been one for actual breakfast foods.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,048,650 times
I worked 1:30 to 10:00 p.m. for a few years. I swapped dinner and lunch-- eating a heavy meal around 12:00, then eating my sandwich/carrots/fruit/whatever at 6:00 p.m. Unfortunately I would always be hungry when I left work, so I got into a bad habit of eating snacks before bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment