Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,485 times

Advertisements

I currently work 1st shift (generally from 0800 - 1630). I recently saw an internal job posting for my company that "requires working 2nd shift". It seems like a pretty unique position given that most positions in my field (software engineering) would typically be first shift cubicle type jobs. I've worked 2nd shift before a long time ago when I was in college and I didn't mind it too much at all. The idea of working 2nd shift sounds appealing to me as you would most likely be around less people, get to sleep in every day, and enjoy the day before you go off to work. I'm single and currently live in the Midwest. The particular position would be in Huntington Beach, CA. So it would be a pretty huge change for sure, but it sounds appealing to me. Has anyone ever had a 2nd shift job that would usually be a 1st shift job? What was your experience like? I guess the only disadvantage I can see with a 2nd shift job is that your social life would be limited to other people working 2nd shift. I guess you would still be able to enjoy the night on the weekends at least.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:59 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,798 times
The move to California would be a much larger change of pace than your scheduled hours.

I started working first shift, now I work 4 overnight shifts per week, and have off three days.

I don't recommend third shift, but second is not a problem.

You should get some kind of a shift premium for working second shift, usually a 10 percent bonus.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
If you don't have a family, it's fine. Who cares if you get in at 1 or 2 am and sleep till 10 or 11 or noon.

Shift work when you have children can be a problem. The kids have to keep quiet so the person can get enough sleep.

We've done it in our family but it has taken its toll on us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment