Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM

676 posts, read 943,027 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here work 3rd shift?? I have never done that shift but I may have an opportunity to do it. I am a young 62 f. Can anyone advise ? Will you share your stories ? This is an overnight stocking job. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,425,061 times
It will absolutely beat you down. I'm a night owl by nature and worked a 3rd shift job in college and couldn't take it after a pretty short time (think I lasted 9 months) It screws with your natural sleep cycles.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM

676 posts, read 943,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
It will absolutely beat you down. I'm a night owl by nature and worked a 3rd shift job in college and couldn't take it after a pretty short time (think I lasted 9 months) It screws with your natural sleep cycles.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM

533 posts, read 1,117,479 times
I had to do "third shift" for a huge fundraiser in college, we stayed up from 6pm to 6am and then didn't sleep for 48 hours straight. I felt like my body was just going to stop working. I wouldn't do anything that goes against the natural sleep cycle UNLESS I had no other options and didn't want a gap in my employment.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,970,660 times
I have worked night shift at a grocery store for the past 15 years. It's a physically demanding job and most who work it are raging drug addicts and alcoholics but for the right person it can be a good job. Be ready to move constantly and quickly for 8+ hours while being yelled at by alcoholic overnight managers to get the store done. The best part is you can move up to be an alcoholic manager yourself. That's the opportunity!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,735,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
I would second this. Though I found being able to sleep as soon as I was off work made it much more tolerable. The down side there is you go to work at the end of your day. Either way it sucked. I wouldn't mind third shift on a semi-rotating basis, but I would never go back to it full time. The only plus side was there was never any traffic going to work.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM

12,140 posts, read 23,504,599 times
I worked it for years; I was always tired and had splitting headaches. Some people love the shift but I am not one of them.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM

6,433 posts, read 7,743,581 times
Many companies use 12 hour shifts so their workers have shorter weeks but it also takes longer to recover. The best trick is to sleep in a dark room, with ear plugs, and take half a melatonin before you go to bed until your body resets its clock. It can be done and if that is what you must do to survive then go for it.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 AM

277 posts, read 522,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Does anyone here work 3rd shift?? I have never done that shift but I may have an opportunity to do it. I am a young 62 f. Can anyone advise ? Will you share your stories ? This is an overnight stocking job. Thank you
Hi - you did mention you are 62? I worked the graveyard shift for about 20 or so years (can't remember anymore) and for the last 8 years it was 12 hours (6pm to 6am) ... I was finally laid off almost two years ago at 63 ... I never got more than three hours of sleep a day (and even on my days off I couldn't sleep) .. I developed high blood pressure a long time ago and have been on meds since. It was a 'sitting' job (computer operations) so had developed spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis and major degenerative disc disease mainly in my neck from 'sitting' for 12 hours each night. During that time I never was able to socialize with anyone .. even co-workers (and never mind the 'day-ladies' .... never got to know them) ... when you work during the day people 'see' you and will at least acknowledge your work ... when you work nights you don't exist .. the work gets done but no one knows you did it. There was never any time to continue my education (believe me I tried) so I could get out of working those nights. Now at 65 I can't even get a part time job ... I'm limited by my disabilities .. (even tried walmart once - didn't last long as I can't stand for longer than ten or so minutes - or sit or walk without a cane) ... so now at 65 I have no friends .. I don't even know what I like to do anymore ... can't remember the last time I went out for anything other than groceries ... if this is only a 'temporary' or part-time job maybe you can try it but at 62 I would probably stay away ... unless you already have friends and family that you are connected to. Wish I could go back and re-do my life ... too late now.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,461,858 times
I worked third shift as a second job one year, while also working another job during the day and taking 4 classes. That year sucked.

I also did third shift another year during the christmas season, while working a day job, and taking 4 classes. That season sucked too.

My mom has worked third shift for probably 20 years.

It can be okay, if you don't have another job, not a lot of daytime obligations/chores, and regulate your sleep well, like previous posters said, utilize a dark room. Hopefully there isn't a lot of outside noise or household noise during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment