Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM

15,909 posts, read 21,613,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I agree that people get sick or break a leg which usually goes under as being "sick". The thing is though most jobs offer short term/long term disability for pennies per pay period on their benefits. You can be off a week or a month and not even affect sick time and be paid. Also if your a good employee they will work with you. Most of the time the job will work with you somehow or another unless you are a bad employee.
You all act like if you get cancer or break an arm your job, friends, and family will throw you down a well. Most people will try and help. I had my appendix taken out 2 days after I put my 2 weeks in at a warehouse job. I couldn't lift anything over 15 pounds so I was out the whole time. Didn't have vacation or anything. I called and said I couldn't work obviously and they offered to pay me my vacation which your not supposed to unless you work the whole year. So I got 40 hours for at least once week which I was out. I hated the job because they treated us like dogs, but I did treat them with respect and always tried my best. So theyy were nice enough to help me.
I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. My friends and family DID throw me down the well - I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary of diagnosis and I still struggle with my health and can't sleep at night because of the debt and my inability to pay for adequate medical care - even with insurance. My story isn't rare - lots of people have family that does not know how to deal with illness and while it's good to know who your real friends are, it's pretty awful when you find out that you had none to begin with. I went through cancer working full time against doctor's orders and living with a roommate who wouldn't clean up after himself (at a detriment to my health) and would even go so far as to throw parties the night of my chemo when I was incredibly ill. Lots of people are just not very conscientious.

I get 12 sick days a year (that can accrue up to 180 days if you are hourly or 12 if you are salaried - kind of a ridiculous policy) - I use up an average of 7 or 8 because my immune system is still a wreck and I get every single illness that comes through the office. Luckily, my office has a strict policy that if you are sick, you stay home. If you come in sick, you are reprimanded and then sent home. I would be eating into my vacation time if some of my colleagues were allowed to come to work when they were sick, spreading it to myself an others. Unfortunately, my work does not offer sick day sharing so often we have people (like me) who need time off but do not have it while others are carrying around over a thousand hours of sick time that they can't give to those who need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM

12,339 posts, read 17,263,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. My friends and family DID throw me down the well - I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary of diagnosis and I still struggle with my health and can't sleep at night because of the debt and my inability to pay for adequate medical care - even with insurance. My story isn't rare - lots of people have family that does not know how to deal with illness and while it's good to know who your real friends are, it's pretty awful when you find out that you had none to begin with. I went through cancer working full time against doctor's orders and living with a roommate who wouldn't clean up after himself (at a detriment to my health) and would even go so far as to throw parties the night of my chemo when I was incredibly ill. Lots of people are just not very conscientious.

I get 12 sick days a year (that can accrue up to 180 days if you are hourly or 12 if you are salaried - kind of a ridiculous policy) - I use up an average of 7 or 8 because my immune system is still a wreck and I get every single illness that comes through the office. Luckily, my office has a strict policy that if you are sick, you stay home. If you come in sick, you are reprimanded and then sent home. I would be eating into my vacation time if some of my colleagues were allowed to come to work when they were sick, spreading it to myself an others. Unfortunately, my work does not offer sick day sharing so often we have people (like me) who need time off but do not have it while others are carrying around over a thousand hours of sick time that they can't give to those who need it.
You are a rock! Working, while dealing with the inconsiderate roommate and getting through it is an incredible accomplishment. Hoping your health improves further. Cannot imagine the stress you endured.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM

83 posts, read 140,543 times
I think I did; it said "Wiki."
But I understand that not everybody knows how to use Google.

Hence, here is the complete URL:

Sick leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
When you copy and paste from another website (or article), you should include a citation so people know where it's coming from.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,334,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_in_atl View Post
I think I did; it said "Wiki."
But I understand that not everybody knows how to use Google.

Hence, here is the complete URL:

Sick leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The purpose of a citation is so the reader does not have to research/google where you copied and pasted from.

I looked at your original post and you may thing you cited but all you did say was "Wiki." You might as well say the web at that point.

There's thousands of wikis and here's the popular ones: List of wikis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . You want the reader to know exactly where you're copying and pasting form. Not require them to search all the wikis on the planet.

Anyways, back to the point...

The US may not be competitive in required sick days, but we're very competitive in other areas. Discretionary income, for example. The government cannot really impose a requirement of paid sick days because our government has to abide by the constitution. Other countries have their own limitations and culture.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,074 posts, read 82,410,381 times
Quote:
The government cannot really impose a requirement of paid sick days because our government has to abide by the constitution. Other countries have their own limitations and culture.
Well put. And we have the freedom to choose a career/job that has benefits we want/need.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 10 days ago)

16,230 posts, read 11,460,262 times
My current emmployer seems to have it down to a well-defined art ... and the policy is better than anywhere else I've woked in a 46-year span.

I work in a mail-order center with a high-seasonal peak. You're not hired full tme until after at least one peak season. Durng that time, you work for a temp agency with strict rules -- essentially, 3 days off in a 90-day stretch without a doctor's backup gets you out the door.

Once you're formally hired by the parent company, you immediately get sick/personal time, denominated in hours (earned on a weekly basis, but with a 48-hour annual cap). This is in addition to the customary holidays and vacation time (also credited weekly) The sick/personal time can be used on short notice and in whatever amount you need -- a big plus if you work nights and sometimes can't sleep well in daylight hours.

"Discipline" doesn't kick in until all sick/personal time is used, and follows the same "three days and you're gone" pattern as when you were a "temp"/probationer, but exceptions are allowed if legitimate reasons for the absence can be proven. "Sick pay" is one of the options available in a "cafeteria" benefits system in anticpation of elective surgery, etc.

Unused vacation time can be accumulated in anticipation of a long vacation, but sick/personal time is on a "use-or-lose" basis, with a reset back to 12 hours every January.

The end result of all this is that the party amimals usually squander their hours quickly, while the more-reliable employees usually have a couple of days to use right after the Holiday rush, when there's very little business anyway.

Far and away the fairest system under which I've ever worked; just wish it had been available when I was 23.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-12-2013 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,917,112 times
Quote:
The US may not be competitive in required sick days, but we're very competitive in other areas. Discretionary income, for example. The government cannot really impose a requirement of paid sick days because our government has to abide by the constitution. Other countries have their own limitations and culture.
What part of the constitution outlaws federal regulations on PTO?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
What part of the constitution outlaws federal regulations on PTO?
10th Amendment.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,555,961 times
1. Sick leave is a benefit. Not an entitlement.

I am lucky. I get eight hours of sick leave a pay period. Last year I used 80 hours of sick leave. I had a week off for surgery.

My job here is so easy and slow paced, I can actually use sick leave. Last three jobs I had were so crazy, I could never miss a day of work or I was buried.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Sick leave is a benefit. Not an entitlement.

I am lucky. I get eight hours of sick leave a pay period. Last year I used 80 hours of sick leave. I had a week off for surgery.

My job here is so easy and slow paced, I can actually use sick leave. Last three jobs I had were so crazy, I could never miss a day of work or I was buried.
How often are pay periods? Is this in addition to paid vacation? That seems like a healthy amount of sick leave (pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment