Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM

9,026 posts, read 13,947,141 times

Advertisements

Well,technically none.
I get 10 pto days per YEAR.
Its stupid....plus,I had to use 5 of those days due to Hurricane Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM

36,580 posts, read 16,171,091 times
None, no benefits!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM

373 posts, read 647,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have taken 4 sick days, 2 days each on 2 occasions, over the past five years of my working life.

I walk sometimes, but hardly exercise. I smoked for 35 years, quit over a year ago, and those last two sick days were two weeks ago when I came down with a cold and a cough, something I rarely had when I smoked.

I eat a lot of crap. LOVE LOVE LOVE sugar/candy. Have been trying to eat better especially because I gained weight from quitting smoking. I have a 90-minute public transportation commute to work where I am in way-too-close proximity to hordes of people who might be carrying diseases. I do wash my hands pretty regularly, but I'm not a freak about germs.

It's all about good genes. My BP, cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar are all within low-to-normal ranges. I am in my mid-fifties and take no medication. Yeah, yeah, yeah, eating right and exercising will put some ammo on your side, but mostly, it's about choosing your parents wisely.
This!

I have allergies and asthma. I also catch every bug that walks by. I worked in an insurance office for three months and had six separate colds over the three months. It was due to the constant people coming into the office. I never missed time, but I am sure it factored in the boss deciding to lay me off. My immune system is weak. Has been all my life.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We already have such a place within our own borders.

It's called Detroit --- the end product of an unholy alliance between corrupt politicians, neighborhoods ravaged by drugs and indolence, and unions with too much power,

I can sympathize with the people trapped there. But the political hacks are ony interested in a bigger bureaucracy, a bigger payeoll, more "jobs", with no real productivity, for their friends.

The correct remedy is to dissolve the govermental overhead and return the neighborhoods to local control and local financing. But i assure you that the local grafters would never allow that.
Who's supposed to be in charge then? Big corporations? Someone is always in charge.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,901,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
So what do you all think of having separate sick and vacation vs having it all lumped together as PTO?

With the later, people might be more tempted to not call in sick when they really are, but then it also probably lessens the likelihood of people calling is sick when they really aren't.
I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, when people demonize and give up the protections of unions, they give up union protections.

The middle class, weekends, 40-hour work week, vacations, workplace safety standards, etc. are all union accomplishments.

The US is so stupid to vote against its own interests.
I see your point, but isn't the continuation of unions still kind of moot at this point because there are so many laws now that supposedly protect employees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So I should act all giggly and stuff just because someone decides to go to work for me?
I didn't say that at all.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM

26,355 posts, read 22,524,762 times
Neither my husband or myself get any sick leave. By the looks of the workers in the retail establishments here during flu season, I'm going to venture that they get "0" also. Would sick leave solve the problem? Not for all because a lot of people waste it as free vacation days and have nothing when they actually need it. As we progress towards being a 3rd world country, expect more benefits to disappear.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,569,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I agree that "sick" leave isn't always just for one's self. However, the title of this thread and the OP's sentiments is that the employer is "robbing" her. In essence, that she has a RIGHT to have more sick leave. Which is, I believe, where people are disagreeing with.

Sure - parents may have other responsibilities (as one myself, I can relate to your issues). But you don't have to be a parent to have extra obligations. There are single people with chronic conditions, have to care for family members, or whatever else. In the end, the business is just that, trying to run a business.

Its seems like its a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't with employers. Some hate PTO, some hate sick leave... And of course, when it impacts our private lives, the employers are not being sensitive enough. However, when they try to be sensitive, then its favoritism or an invasion of privacy.
This,

Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,569,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What's up with the entitlement attitude of the OP? Paid time off (sick and vacation) are benefits that employers give employees. You are not entitled to have any paid time off. Be happy you get any.
This is why, the people that think like this (usually righties) just baffle me. I wasn't going so much as so called entitlements, but, the vicious cycle, particularly in the service industry, about how many people go to work with the stomach flu, pink eye, etc, because they don't have sick time (or if they do, it's pretty pathetic, like 2/3rd's pay, example). Therefore, guess what? Other people, even those that patronize a restaurant, where others are eating the food that these sick people handled, get sick!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM

134 posts, read 445,665 times
I get a lousy 3. My other job offered 1/2 sick day per 160 hours (1 month) worked.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,182,944 times
We get 40 hours per year of sick time, and we get the money if we don't take it.

Best deal ever.

We get a little tight arsed about it though, as if one calls in "sick" for more than 2 days.....then we gotta return with a dr.'s note.

So, if I really need some time off......and I'm not sick......I had better tell the truth.

Here it is mid January, and I know of a couple folks that have already burned a day.

Come September they are the ones that will be whining 'cuz they don't have any paid time off left when they really need it.

Same ones that cry when their vacation requests are denied because they waited until the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment