Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times

Advertisements

Just curious what you have at your work and which way you'd prefer it?

My job I get 2 weeks vacation, 8 sick days, and 3 personal days. My gf and a few buddies however instead have something like say just 18 days off, no specified sick days and take them how you want.

The only benefit I see to having it my way is it forces you to be disciplined so to speak and not blow through all your vacation days and then not have any days incase you do get sick.

On the other hand however I havn't taken a sick day for the past three years so that's essentially 18 paid days off I worked. Sure you can take a sick day to catch a baseball game or go golfing so you can take advantage of a few that way but you can't call into work and say "yeah, I'm gonna be sick June 7-16 so in that sense you cant take advantage of all your days like someone with just a flat number of days off.

Also, whats the deal with personal days, it's just another vacation day by another name?

Just curious how vacation is set up at your job? Which way woudl you prefer? Also, is it wrong to take a sick day to play golf, walk around the city, hang out with friends, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:15 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I have sick, holiday, personal days, and vacation days.

Sick roll over; but I don't get paid for unused sick days. I also have a limited number of "occurrences". For example, I can only have two occurrences of sick leave a year or get written up. If I take more than three sick days in a row, I have to have a doctor's note.

Personal days are for unexpected absences and can be used in hour increments. For example, I have a drs. appointment. Personal days were also given to us to accommodate different religions. Vacation days are what you'd expect them to be. Neither my vacation nor personal days roll over and if I don't use them, I lose them. However, they are paid out.

I'm pretty happy with that set up. I like having sick and vacation days separated for just the reasons that you mentioned.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Just the days off. That way those who abuse sick time don't also end up with long vacations but those who don't abuse sick time get extra vacation time.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 AM

802 posts, read 2,264,701 times
My company only has vacation days, of which I get 25 days a year. Additionally, I get 10 holidays a year. If you are sick, you just stay home - it doesn't count against vacation days, so you effectively have as many sick days as you need to get better. If you are sick for more than 10 consecutive work days, you go on short-term disability, which pays you at 100% for the first 90 days that you are sick. If you are still unable to work, you go on long-term disability after 90 days. Both short-term and long-term disability is covered at 100% by the company, i.e. you automatically get coverage as an employee at no cost to you.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Company makes no distinction between sick days and personal days. They offer vacation, but I don't take it because it puts everyone else in a bind. Especially considering that I am one of the most productive employees.

They would have to cover for me, and then I have to face the disappointment of how they've left it when I come back.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
I am part time and do not get any PTO. I can take time off if I want, but I don't get paid for it.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,362 times
I get vacation and sick time. Sick time rolls over but I don't get paid for the unused hours. I'm honest about my sick time so it's rarely used (finally used my first sick day 2 weeks ago). As for vacation time, I get about 2-3 weeks worth each year. I try and put in a 1-week vacation during the summer and use the rest of the days sparingly throughout the year. I try and save enough time in case of an emergency or something unexpected happens and need plenty of time off. If I ever quit my job I will get paid for all of the unused vacation which is nice at least.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Just curious what you have at your work and which way you'd prefer it?

My job I get 2 weeks vacation, 8 sick days, and 3 personal days. My gf and a few buddies however instead have something like say just 18 days off, no specified sick days and take them how you want.

The only benefit I see to having it my way is it forces you to be disciplined so to speak and not blow through all your vacation days and then not have any days incase you do get sick.

On the other hand however I havn't taken a sick day for the past three years so that's essentially 18 paid days off I worked. Sure you can take a sick day to catch a baseball game or go golfing so you can take advantage of a few that way but you can't call into work and say "yeah, I'm gonna be sick June 7-16 so in that sense you cant take advantage of all your days like someone with just a flat number of days off.

Also, whats the deal with personal days, it's just another vacation day by another name?

Just curious how vacation is set up at your job? Which way woudl you prefer? Also, is it wrong to take a sick day to play golf, walk around the city, hang out with friends, etc?

I split mine up like i have a day off in October, November, and December. Years ago I would put in for a week vacation and realized how bored I was-lol

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
3 weeks vacation and 50 hours of sick time. No personal days or anything like that.

I work 4 days a week so I typically take a Thursday or Monday off to get a 4 day weekend. I'm doing this next Thursday!

Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
When I was salaried, I got 21 vacation days -- use it or lose it. Sick/personal days were not allotted out, you just took what was needed.

Now that I'm a contractor, I'll get an extra week's pay after I work 1,000 hours -- so it's something like 2-weeks vacation a year, but I don't have to take off. I'll get a few holidays paid after I work 1,500 hours. As for sick time, it's non-existent. Welcome to the new reality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment