Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM

89,139 posts, read 85,814,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
I am salaried and I technically have "unlimited" sick time, but I'm sure at some point I would be talked to about it.

I've never taken a sick day my whole time with the company. I usually try to work sick, but since everyone else takes their sick time when they are sick I am reevaluating that "ideal".
I am also salaried and we have up to 65 paid sick days per occasion. Now that isn't as easy as it sounds, of course.

If you are out five days or more on one occason, you have to report to our medical department with a doctor's note indicating why you were out and they will decide of you are fit to return to duty. If you have a frequent number of "occasions" under five days, you are subject to disciplinary action and it will affect your annual review and increases (kind of a joke right now since we haven't HAD any increases in four years...)

The "up to 65 days" therefore generally applies to people who are out long term, such as for surgery or a heart attack or something. It would, of course, have to be documented with medical records.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM

7,002 posts, read 7,110,986 times
I get no sick days. If you are sick, you have to use a vacation day or personal day. I get 15 vacation days per year (actually, 16, now that I've been there for 5 years) and 5 personal days per year. We also get 10 paid holidays per year.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,609,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Excellent read by Thom Hartmann, and how working sick in at least 1 industry can really f**k up others.

Would you like a side of the flu with your order? | Thom Hartmann - News & info from the #1 progressive radio show

I've worked at a company for 15 months and they only pay 4 hours a month of sick time. I've used some up last year thanks to a family issue. I've been there 15 months and all I have off, with guarantee pay (without using vacation time), is, 2 days?:

Wonder if anyone else out there still has the standard that I grew up with, if you're sick, you get paid 8 hours straight, even though you may be subject to discipline if you don't use it wisely.

Thoughts?
I had a job once like that, but it was even worse. We got 4 hours per month leave, period. 4 days of it could be used as sick leave. The rest was vacation time. It was horrible. Most of us were in constant "leave debt" because we needed to use that leave just to visit a doctor or go to the DMV or something. We worked 7-5, so everything was closed outside of work hours. Fortunately, our job didn't involve a lot of contact with other people, even those in the office, so we didn't get sick much anyway.

However, I later became a school teacher and the same policies came back to haunt me - kids were coming to school sick - constantly - because their parents couldn't take time off to take care of them. So teachers got sick, but we couldn't take time off because it was just too difficult what with having to get a sub and leave lesson plans and everything. And so on. The government should enforce some kind of minimum paid sick days to prevent this. People die of this stuff.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM

83 posts, read 140,455 times
That is TOTAL BULL but something I hear quite often.

You can eat a very healthy, natural, fresh fruit and vegetable diet. Next day, you might experience a case of food poisoning. Voila, you are SICK...;
For many cancers, we still don't know how they come about. Many types of cancers have no connection to environmental exposure, personal lifestyle, genetic traits but just happen because of random mutations. Voila, you are SICK...;
My daughter was on a playground last week, fell and broke her elbow. Bad luck. If she were in an environment requiring the use of both arms. Voila, you are SICK...

And it goes on and on and on...if it were a personal choice as to whether one gets sick, and thus requires sick days, I'd venture that nobody would ever volunteer to get sick (or die for that matter.)

P.S.: With only five years of "working life" you appear to be a young grasshopper, still believing in your own invincibility. Time will tell if you get old enough to wise up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have taken a grand total of three sick days over the past 5 years of my working life.

Eat right and exercise regularly, and you will hardly ever get sick!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,827,135 times
6 sick days a year seems reasonable to me.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,152,747 times
I receive 12 sick days per year, plus an additional 23 days of vacation/personal leave.

While I do not agree with it, I can understand some employers using a combined sick/ vacation PTO. There are inevitably some employees who take each sick day as they accrue it, viewing it as simply a day to stay away from work, never banking any. Then, when they inevitably get sick for an extended period of time, they immediately have a crisis because they cannot cover a weeks worth of time away.

Sick leave should be hoarded for a rainy day.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM

89,139 posts, read 85,814,366 times
Quote:
I have taken a grand total of three sick days over the past 5 years of my working life.

I have taken 4 sick days, 2 days each on 2 occasions, over the past five years of my working life.

I walk sometimes, but hardly exercise. I smoked for 35 years, quit over a year ago, and those last two sick days were two weeks ago when I came down with a cold and a cough, something I rarely had when I smoked.

I eat a lot of crap. LOVE LOVE LOVE sugar/candy. Have been trying to eat better especially because I gained weight from quitting smoking. I have a 90-minute public transportation commute to work where I am in way-too-close proximity to hordes of people who might be carrying diseases. I do wash my hands pretty regularly, but I'm not a freak about germs.

It's all about good genes. My BP, cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar are all within low-to-normal ranges. I am in my mid-fifties and take no medication. Yeah, yeah, yeah, eating right and exercising will put some ammo on your side, but mostly, it's about choosing your parents wisely.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,288,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_in_atl View Post
That is TOTAL BULL but something I hear quite often.

You can eat a very healthy, natural, fresh fruit and vegetable diet. Next day, you might experience a case of food poisoning. Voila, you are SICK...;
For many cancers, we still don't know how they come about. Many types of cancers have no connection to environmental exposure, personal lifestyle, genetic traits but just happen because of random mutations. Voila, you are SICK...;
My daughter was on a playground last week, fell and broke her elbow. Bad luck. If she were in an environment requiring the use of both arms. Voila, you are SICK...

And it goes on and on and on...if it were a personal choice as to whether one gets sick, and thus requires sick days, I'd venture that nobody would ever volunteer to get sick (or die for that matter.)

P.S.: With only five years of "working life" you appear to be a young grasshopper, still believing in your own invincibility. Time will tell if you get old enough to wise up.
I agree that people get sick or break a leg which usually goes under as being "sick". The thing is though most jobs offer short term/long term disability for pennies per pay period on their benefits. You can be off a week or a month and not even affect sick time and be paid. Also if your a good employee they will work with you. Most of the time the job will work with you somehow or another unless you are a bad employee.
You all act like if you get cancer or break an arm your job, friends, and family will throw you down a well. Most people will try and help. I had my appendix taken out 2 days after I put my 2 weeks in at a warehouse job. I couldn't lift anything over 15 pounds so I was out the whole time. Didn't have vacation or anything. I called and said I couldn't work obviously and they offered to pay me my vacation which your not supposed to unless you work the whole year. So I got 40 hours for at least once week which I was out. I hated the job because they treated us like dogs, but I did treat them with respect and always tried my best. So theyy were nice enough to help me.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM

301 posts, read 1,066,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
So you get 4 hours a month soooo 48 hours of sick pay every year. Sick pay usually rolls over. So you get a
week and 1 day of being paid for being sick. Seriously....complain much? That is good, most people don't need over a week (40 hrs) plus a day ( 8 hrs) every year to be sick. Give me a break.
Quote:

Do either of you have kids?
Its not a matter of just eating right and exercising regularly. For me, Im generally fine. But when you have kids that get sick, etc, or you need to go to appointments, like dental/doctor, etc, then its really easy to use up that time. (Especially if you DO have a medical condition) Not everyone can flex their hours at work and stay late one day to leave early the next, etc. Both my husband and I work so we have no one to help with the kids in these situations.

I lived in Florida where my work location was about a 45 minutes drive each way (on a good day), so if I left work to pick up my sick kid, take them to the doctor, wait in the waiting room, go get their prescription, wait forever at Target to get it filled, then take them home, I easily just used 4 hours.

This past July I moved to rural Colorado and nothing is open past 5 or weekends. Dental offices are not open on Saturdays, there are no emergency clinics like Solantic, everything is open 9-4. I work 8-5. So again, if I deviate from my work shift, I must use sick time.

So those that have only used 2-3 days in so many years, thats great, but do you all have kids, and do you have someone else to help out in these situations when they are sick?

and Packer43064, Judge people much?
it's easy to judge, but someone who may have a medical condition or young kids, that time can get eaten away very quickly. That time is not just used as "sick time" There are parent teacher conferences, a pipe that can freeze and burst in your house (or a tree falls during a storm and someone needs to be home when the repairman comes), etc... With my employer now, I must use my sick time for any of these situations. My vacation time can only be used in 1 week increments and scheduled at minimum of 2 months in advance. NOT HELPFUL!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,288,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I get no sick days. If you are sick, you have to use a vacation day or personal day. I get 15 vacation days per year (actually, 16, now that I've been there for 5 years) and 5 personal days per year. We also get 10 paid holidays per year.
You get 31 days off a year! Just days too, that is 6 weeks of. A 5 day work week. That is good! I have seen jobs like that. No sick time, but the PTO days and vacation days can be used as sick time. So basically you get 4 weeks to use as vacation mixed with 10 holidays. Can't imagine what holidays you have off (valentines day, Martin luther king day and the usual). That is better thqn most. I get 6 holidays and used to be only 3 a year with the old job.

You have it quite well man. Your average person doesn't get sick for a week every year. If they do its usually the "I'm too sick to go to work", but they feel better for going out to a movie 6 hours later. These people are the ones who waste sick pay and usually complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment