Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM

644 posts, read 1,146,592 times

Advertisements

I noticed that most of the managers I had to call had the slackest hours. You are LUCKY enough to even get in touch with them to speak with them. There was a time long ago where you could just walk into a place, told the person in the front to speak with the manager, the manager was always available, spoke with you for about 5 minutes, offered you a job, and ya'll shook hands to finalize it. Nowadays it's much more complicated. Even the receptionist/secretary/administrative assistants give you hard time to even reach the manager. How are they getting anything done when they are only working 2-4 hours?(Yes in this town the managers are the slackest...how they even got these jobs is beyond me.)

I remember, I called Amazon this past week because I had a few questions. I never set up an interview online before and I had some questions about it also, I called the recruitment center and the manager made me talk to the SECURITY GUARD...what the hell?! The person who was responsible for interviews was so secretive, but if a person doesn't know what they are doing or they have concerns...how are they supposed to get them answered? smdh The security guard was like, "Umm....I don't know...ummm...well...ummm...."

What is up with this nowadays? Why is it so exclusive to speak with the people who are responsible for the hiring process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,527,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I noticed that most of the managers I had to call had the slackest hours. You are LUCKY enough to even get in touch with them to speak with them. There was a time long ago where you could just walk into a place, told the person in the front to speak with the manager, the manager was always available, spoke with you for about 5 minutes, offered you a job, and ya'll shook hands to finalize it. Nowadays it's much more complicated. Even the receptionist/secretary/administrative assistants give you hard time to even reach the manager. How are they getting anything done when they are only working 2-4 hours?(Yes in this town the managers are the slackest...how they even got these jobs is beyond me.)

I remember, I called Amazon this past week because I had a few questions. I never set up an interview online before and I had some questions about it also, I called the recruitment center and the manager made me talk to the SECURITY GUARD...what the hell?! The person who was responsible for interviews was so secretive, but if a person doesn't know what they are doing or they have concerns...how are they supposed to get them answered? smdh The security guard was like, "Umm....I don't know...ummm...well...ummm...."

What is up with this nowadays? Why is it so exclusive to speak with the people who are responsible for the hiring process?

I think it's all part of the protection thing. They are insecure and fear for their jobs. They are afraid someone competent will be hired, and take their jobs. So they put a lot between you and them, including not being available.

That's why they are secretive too. I've seen employees do that too, so no one really knows what they are doing.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM

491 posts, read 2,293,425 times
When times are good, there are not a lot of applicants and lots of jobs. When times are bad, like now, there are not a lot of jobs and a whole lot of applicants.

When there are a lot of applicants, you get bombarded with unsolicited calls and resumes, even if you are not advertising. So everyone is trained to "gatekeep" the applicants away.

When companies, particularly large companies, have job openings, they want you to apply THEIR way. If you try to get around their way somehow, you will hit a wall. It is what it is. If you have questions, you can ask them if you get an interview.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,713,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
When there are a lot of applicants, you get bombarded with unsolicited calls and resumes, even if you are not advertising. So everyone is trained to "gatekeep" the applicants away.
Excellent response.
and to add, it's not like they don't care, or they are trying to make it hard for you for just for the kick, or that they are incompetent boobs who can;t figure out how to communicate with an applicant, they just can't devote their entire working day fielding calls and doing none of the work they are paid to do. It's so very important to remember that this is 2012, not 2010 or 2005 or 1999, what happened back in those times is not what we have today. So as much as you had to adjust to the competition for jobs today, you also have to adjust to the fact that the days of managers having all this free time to chit chat is gone. people have atendency to foregtt hat even though the "worker" is expected to do more with less, so is that manager.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I think it's all part of the protection thing. They are insecure and fear for their jobs. They are afraid someone competent will be hired, and take their jobs. So they put a lot between you and them, including not being available.

That's why they are secretive too. I've seen employees do that too, so no one really knows what they are doing.
I had this problem at my last job. I don't work jobs just to work them, but to potentially move up in the place of business. This one girl, had it out for me in the beginning. She made so many assumptions about me and was never around me to make so many judgements. I believe she was in the ear of her superiors to get rid of me. I'm not the only one that gets that impression of her at my former place of work either, so she should evaluate her attitude before she messes with the wrong employee.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
When times are good, there are not a lot of applicants and lots of jobs. When times are bad, like now, there are not a lot of jobs and a whole lot of applicants.

When companies, particularly large companies, have job openings, they want you to apply THEIR way. If you try to get around their way somehow, you will hit a wall. It is what it is. If you have questions, you can ask them if you get an interview.
I don't consider my concerns something that's "unsolicited" when I was already called for the interview, BUT if I'm going way out of town for an interview and I'm depending on somebody else to take me to the interview, then they could at least speak to me about where they are located at least. I don't want to be looking for this place on the day of my interview and be late for it. I can't wait for those questions on the day OF.

Most smart managers knew what their job was and it's nobody else's problem if they have a an issue with it.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM

491 posts, read 2,293,425 times
You said you set it up online, and now you say you were called for the interview? And no one told you where to go? Do you not have any contact info?

I don't see what your situation has to do with your original post ranting about managers and the hours they work. Aren't you happy you have an interview at Amazon?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
Many businesses are running on skeleton crews, or have consolidated workloads on to fewer workers. Managers tend to accumulate the brunt of the burden in my experience. They are ALWAYS busy. Aside from that, many are running around off site, meeting customers/clients, or engaged in other tasks that render them unavailable. If they are dealing with clients, your call WILL be ignored. It's not exactly an easy job to balance the workload, and sometimes, you are the least of their concerns, or the concern that can sit on the back burner for awhile anyways.

Sometimes, you have to be persistent, and other times, you simply must give them time to get around to you.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:45 PM

640 posts, read 1,216,116 times
People shouldn't need resumes to get hired for unskilled jobs. That's another part of how screwed up the workforce is in this country. With all these ridiculous requirements employers create they aren't helping unemployed people, if anything they are making things worse. It's the same thing with experience, make your requirements so high you won't find anybody period. That's karma kicking in and telling you to stop treating people like that.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:55 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
People shouldn't need resumes to get hired for unskilled jobs. That's another part of how screwed up the workforce is in this country. With all these ridiculous requirements employers create they aren't helping unemployed people, if anything they are making things worse. It's the same thing with experience, make your requirements so high you won't find anybody period. That's karma kicking in and telling you to stop treating people like that.
That's Strange... They never seem to have any problem finding workers for those unskilled positions. Do you really think those positions go unfilled because they don't find workers??? I think you need to reevaluate your observations. And without a resume, how is anyone to know if you are qualified to even show up on time? It makes absolutely no sense not to require a resume and a list of previous experience/work history for a job. It's not too difficult to construct a basic resume... If one can't do that, they likely aren't qualified for even the easiest of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment