Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM

644 posts, read 1,147,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was saying in the 70's, the unemployment office found employment for you. You didn't have to search for jobs like you have to do today because the unemployment office always had one for you. So it wasn't a such thing as collecting unemployment compensation.
That's what I always thought the office was there for and that's what I thought the people working there was getting paid for is to assist the unemployed find a job. Not just receiving benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM

69 posts, read 101,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
That's what I always thought the office was there for and that's what I thought the people working there was getting paid for is to assist the unemployed find a job. Not just receiving benefits.
No difference here, we call it the same, the only thing they do here is payout the benefits, they don't help or try to help find job for people, you are on your own until the benefits runs out and then you are really on your own.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

841 posts, read 1,921,397 times
Now ads say do not call, do not show up, don't bother us--we will contact YOU if you are selected.

So much for Job Rule 1.01 FOLLOW UP.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 101,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Now ads say do not call, do not show up, don't bother us--we will contact YOU if you are selected.

Yes exactly, but then I say "Take a hike and look for someone else you can play around with you ignorant pricks"

Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,707,220 times
When i hear "apply online" i picture young computer geeks too lazy to pull themselves away from playing WOW to go out and get a job.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,147,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
No difference here, we call it the same, the only thing they do here is payout the benefits, they don't help or try to help find job for people, you are on your own until the benefits runs out and then you are really on your own.
Well I don't get any benefits already. I'm not eligible for any, so I've been on my own. I feel like it's a waste to have so many people working at the emplyment office if all they are able to do is give you paper with links you can go to.

Quote:

That's a lie. Sometimes they NEVER contact you. They actually quickly forget about you. Employers' attention span is so short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When i hear "apply online" i picture young computer geeks too lazy to pull themselves away from playing WOW to go out and get a job.
Call me old fashioned, but I like paper applications. You don't have to go through personality tests that will take you all day to fill out and chances are, you get to talk to the manager.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,053,588 times
Quote:

A gag related to this that I'm seeing is companies getting rid of your ability to create a general profile and log-in to check the status of jobs to which you applied. The new and "improved" version only lets you submit applications for jobs without any way to check on the application status later! Yep, just another way to get rid of the applicants!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM

the other day i applied to be a dishwasher at outback steakhouse. After the whole personality test i was told that i didnt meet the requirements. Lol apparently you have to have a Master's degree or something to wash dishes nowadays.

lasy year I went to apply at Shoney's and they asked for my resume. "My resume?", I said, "you do know this is Shoney's, right?"

Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,729,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
lasy year I went to apply at Shoney's and they asked for my resume. "My resume?", I said, "you do know this is Shoney's, right?"

If they want a resume and you want the job, guess what?, start carrying the resumes!

it's a whole new world out their for emplyment and hiring, either get with the program, or learn to carry a cardboard sign at the corner.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

If they want a resume and you want the job, guess what?, start carrying the resumes!

it's a whole new world out their for emplyment and hiring, either get with the program, or learn to carry a cardboard sign at the corner.
i dont make resumes for fast food. if i ever apply for a professional occupation, I'll submit a resume. fast food equals application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment