Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,895,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I honestly don't give a carp how the grocery store chooses to staff the store. Just like I don't care how many bus boys the restaurant employs. Or how many shirt folders the clothing store employs.

Do they offer a decent product at a decent price with decent service? If the answer is yes than that works for me.

New technology is part of business. Golf carts replace caddies. ATM machines replace tellers. Self check out lanes replace check out people.
Of course you don't care,you the are the typical American,the world revolves around you.

Strange thing is,when it is YOUR job that disappears it is a national TRAGEDY...LOL

Just like all those poor IT guys,whining and gnashing their teeth when THEIR jobs were taken,when it was the textile workers and the guys on the factory floor,well that is simply progress.

Enjoy it while it lasts,America is swiftly going down the drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,220,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I don't use self checkouts and try to not shop at Wally World,for other reasons.

This is of course irrelevant.
I guess I was just thinking of all of the jobs wal-mart cost people....If a person refused to use self-checkouts because they cost people jobs, wouldn't that person (logically) refuse to use ANYTHING that cost someone a job?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I guess I was just thinking of all of the jobs wal-mart cost people....If a person refused to use self-checkouts because they cost people jobs, wouldn't that person (logically) refuse to use ANYTHING that cost someone a job?
Do you use self checkouts?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Do you use self checkouts?
As often as I can. I am actually starting to order my groceries online, so I have visited physical grocery stores much less in the last year or so.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
Of course you don't care,you the are the typical American,the world revolves around you.

Strange thing is,when it is YOUR job that disappears it is a national TRAGEDY...LOL

Just like all those poor IT guys,whining and gnashing their teeth when THEIR jobs were taken,when it was the textile workers and the guys on the factory floor,well that is simply progress.

Enjoy it while it lasts,America is swiftly going down the drain.

Spare us. I guess in your perfect world business would never come up with new innovations that make things faster and more efficient.

If only we still made everything by hand on the factory floor. Wouldn't the world be a perfect place.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 PM

So then you don't mind Wally world driving mom and pops stores out of business...or that people lose their jobs to make your life more convenient.

Nice.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

Spare us. I guess in your perfect world business would never come up with new innovations that make things faster and more efficient.

If only we still made everything by hand on the factory floor. Wouldn't the world be a perfect place.
As I stated the typical American mindset.

I will find it amusing when such people as you find themselves up ***** creek WHEN it is your position that is made redundant.....

Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
So then you don't mind Wally world driving mom and pops stores out of business...or that people lose their jobs to make your life more convenient.

Nice.
I am not the type to stand in the way of progress in the mindset of nostalga. Following your logic, we would still ride in horse drawn carriages.

Quote:
As I stated the typical American mindset.

I will find it amusing when such people as you find themselves up ***** creek WHEN it is your position that is made redundant.....
I am not arrogant (or ignorant) enough to assume I deserve to keep the same job longer than it is needed. If my job is eliminated, I will find one that is relevant in that day and age.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Progress?

I guess it is progress,the corporations got YOU to do the job of the cashier AND pay for the privilege....

No discount on the price of your groceries AND they save on staff.

Americans are such suckers.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
The mom and pop stores have higher prices and lower wages for me. What do I want with a mom and pop store, when I work for a "big box"? A corporate entity with thousands of stores, and millions of employees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment