Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,548,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Pretty hard to believe that long before you "bagged" your muffins, that some other shopper didn't sneeze, breathe or fart,
in the vicinity of those muffins. Another thing, why would a cashier need to open the translucent poly-bag to make a count on
what may clearly be seen through the bag? I buy Kaiser rolls at the supermarket (bakery section),from a bin, lift them out of the
bin with the provided tongs, slide them (3 or 4) into the bag, twist the bag and tie a slip-knot at the top. If the cashier ever untied
my knot to "count" the rolls, I would tell them not to bother to ring them up, it would be a "No Sale" on that item. The concept of
smelling smoke on your muffins because the cashier "breathed" on them is just as fishy as your namesake and next time it happens,
try to remember that there are plenty of hungry birds or squirrels who need be fed and who would appreciate "smoked muffins" much
more than the landfill will.

The only time that I find these DIY checkouts to be a hassle, is when I buy beer at the supermarket and have to wait ten minutes
for the regular cashier to finish with their current transaction and come over to the DIY checkout to proof me as an authorized buyer.
In Chicago there is a 500 dollar fine for feeding pigeons bread. why don't you tell all these grocery stores who are by FAR the worst offenders of throwing out spoiled or opened food which would be perfectly acceptable to cook for homeless. Which in turn people dumpster dive for, but now they lock up and monitor the dumpsters so people can't go in there and fill the dumpsters full of rat poison. There is no lack of food in the U.S. and it is a shame that people are going hungry, that is all created by the profit driven companies and subsidized by the government to not grow anything on fields. Giant corporations own most of the farmland and seeds to produce it anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,858 times
I suppose all the people who say self check outs cost people jobs never bought gas at a self service station when places still pumped your gas and quit going bowling when they fired all the pin boys.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,892,599 times
Funny thing is,the self checkout didn't lower prices,you simply are making the corporations richer AND feeling good about it...

America, the land of the easily fooled.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,182,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Funny thing is,the self checkout didn't lower prices,you simply are making the corporations richer AND feeling good about it...

America, the land of the easily fooled.
But it very well has in some cases made it faster to check out. So there is a benefit to the customer.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Well as long as the customer is happy getting out the store a minute earlier,who really cares about the ten people who no longer have jobs.

Let them eat smoky muffins.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well as long as the customer is happy getting out the store a minute earlier,who really cares about the ten people who no longer have jobs.

Let them eat smoky muffins.
So I gather you have never shopped in a wal-mart/target/any-big-box store, and ONLY shop in local mom-and-pop shops?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:50 PM

I honestly don't give a carp how the grocery store chooses to staff the store. Just like I don't care how many bus boys the restaurant employs. Or how many shirt folders the clothing store employs.

Do they offer a decent product at a decent price with decent service? If the answer is yes than that works for me.

New technology is part of business. Golf carts replace caddies. ATM machines replace tellers. Self check out lanes replace check out people.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM

I wonder what the guy that works at the company that makes the self-checkout scanners thinks of all this?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder what the guy that works at the company that makes the self-checkout scanners thinks of all this?
quiet!....his job doesn't count!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So I gather you have never shopped in a wal-mart/target/any-big-box store, and ONLY shop in local mom-and-pop shops?
I don't use self checkouts and try to not shop at Wally World,for other reasons.

This is of course irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment