Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,196,341 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the people who won't use the self check lane to help save jobs do similar things with other businesses. For example, do you not use ATM machines so that the banks have to hire more tellers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,897,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder if the people who won't use the self check lane to help save jobs do similar things with other businesses. For example, do you not use ATM machines so that the banks have to hire more tellers?
The banks are closed the rare times I use an ATM.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,954,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Even the unemployed just don't get it. 12 registers, 1 person to 'monitor'...pretty much leaves 11 stations unattended and minimum of
11 people w/out work...but, hey, at least it's convenient, huh? So, until the
unemployed wake up and smell the freakin' coffee, there will never be any hope. So..I'm off to work to actually earn a living so I can continue to pay for foodbanks and free medical for the clueless. Sheesh...there really is no hope for common sense in this country. We're getting pretty much what we deserve. See ya in 16 hrs.
There are other jobs out there other than working in a grocery store...and frankly as an employee wouldn't you rather your job be productive and your employer make money so that they can pay you more or for them to give more jobs and have a bunch of people standing around? I would rather my job be productive. Wal-Mart is nearly always busy in our area and we have one with self-checkouts and the other without. Because most of my shopping at Wal-Mart is with a cart full of groceries, I don't use the self-checkouts. But, I don't see your point in having a person scan one item for me when I could have done it myself. Businesses are in business to make money...maybe those that don't believe that need to wake up and smell their own coffee.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,897,382 times
There are other jobs out there...really?

Funny considering how high the (fake) unemployment numbers are.

Americans are so shortsighted that to save themselves a penny they will cut their own throats.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,368,193 times
I don't mind using them, I can scan and bag them as I want them done. I used to work in agrocery store so I know how scanners work. I also know how to bag groceries, unlike many baggers.

I once went in a store and only bought a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk and the genius put them in the same bag. If I hadn't already paid, I'd have walked out. I probably should have just asked for my money back but I just yanked the bread out of the bag and walked out with it in my hand.

If an employee asks if you wish to use the self service line, there is no need to be rude, just say no thank you. He's just doing his job by asking.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I love!, love!, love! self-checkouts! I pack my own bags and never have to deal with an angry cashier or talk to anyone. I stick my money in and it gives me change without touching me. Love 'em! Love 'em! Love 'em!

If only WalMart would make the switch, I'd think I was in heaven.
Agreed!!! I love self-checkouts. And Stop-n-Shops have the machines where you can scan and bag your things while you shop! Then when you get to the register all you need to do is scan the bar code with the remote and pay. Makes everything so much faster. Even when I did go to a cashier I always hated the way they packed. Can't tell you how many times they'd pack eggs underneath heavy items. This way I arrange my groceries in my bag the way that I want. Saves time in unpacking too because I know exactly where my things are.

The Walmarts on Long Island DID have self-checkout until recently when they did away with them for some reason

Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,824,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Agreed!!! I love self-checkouts. And Stop-n-Shops have the machines where you can scan and bag your things while you shop! Then when you get to the register all you need to do is scan the bar code with the remote and pay. Makes everything so much faster. Even when I did go to a cashier I always hated the way they packed. Can't tell you how many times they'd pack eggs underneath heavy items. This way I arrange my groceries in my bag the way that I want. Saves time in unpacking too because I know exactly where my things are.

The Walmarts on Long Island DID have self-checkout until recently when they did away with them for some reason
That sounds wonderful!

About the Walmart and self-checkouts, after my post yesterday about cashier professionalism and such, I'm thinking that Walmart might be making a strong move by sticking with cashiers.

Walmart always asks for a report on your experience. If any behemoth is capable of raising quality of cashiers, it's them.

Walmart does a lot of internal promotions. My understanding is that many a store manager started at the bottom. This keeps their low-risk, proven labor pool large and that increases the liklihood of advancing the best.

After I mentioned cashiers behaving like zombies, I started thinking about my last few cashier experiences. For the life of me, I can only remember good and decent experiences except those at a particular store.

I love self-scan but I'm going to make an effort to give cashiers another chance.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Well, I've tried to do my part for years now when it comes to standing in line at grocery stores or home improvement stores that offer 'DIY' checkout. I simply refuse. Often a checker or manager will simply attempt to pick my items up and take them to a DIY station and I stop them dead in their tracks. What is it, about 12 folks out of work so I can Do-It-Myself...I don't think so. I have been so totally opposed to those situations since day-one. Anybody else try to keep those lines to a minimum w/out hesitating to voice your opinions?
Koale
There is no choice in this matter at several places I have been to in Chicago. CVS is one of them, they have 4 DIY Checkout lines and somebody that is watching so somebody doesn't shop lift or if there is scanning errors. Not a single cashier.

Jewel is also doing this, they have about 6 DIY's and ONE person on cashier and about 20 lanes closed down, this was 5 oclock on Sunday afternoon in Chicago. The Jewel in North Center on Lincoln.

You are seeing what happens when there are no mom and pop grocery stores or drug stores left and companies that are only concerned with bottom line (virtually all publicly traded companies)

After they price out all other competition in areas for operating stores at a loss for years (OK'd by the lobbying government interests but should be illegal practice) there is nowhere else to go. Even when they are sued for illegal business practices the lawsuit payout is only a minor nuisance to bottom line profit.

In the future these stores will have no employees, only robots to stock shelves and monitor theft w/ software to monitor all inventory and order it as soon as stock is depleted. You will have entire stores operated like a giant vending machine.

USA is fascist police state. LMAO @ people saying there aren't less jobs due to this, har har har... sheep. You let your corporate rulers just have all the money and livelihood for a few shiny items or convenience.

Last edited by grapico; 11-11-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,417,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
There are other jobs out there other than working in a grocery store...and frankly as an employee wouldn't you rather your job be productive and your employer make money so that they can pay you more or for them to give more jobs and have a bunch of people standing around? I would rather my job be productive. Wal-Mart is nearly always busy in our area and we have one with self-checkouts and the other without. Because most of my shopping at Wal-Mart is with a cart full of groceries, I don't use the self-checkouts. But, I don't see your point in having a person scan one item for me when I could have done it myself. Businesses are in business to make money...maybe those that don't believe that need to wake up and smell their own coffee.
Don't you get it...at all? I was remarking how technology has put people out of work. I don't care who handles your muffins or who is standing around. I don't care who is or who isn't productive. My point was...again...does anyone actually realize how many people are out of a job when you see 12 diy checkouts? I am amazed at the lack of 'smarts' from most of these posts. The majority of you probably can't do anything but stand in line waiting for someone to hand you a job. Argggggg...
God... would someone please delete this thread!!! This is the most annoying bunch of retorts I have ever read. How can you even put a resume' together if you can't understand this simple equation?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:07 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,803,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
got them in the bakery and put them into a baggie. cashier opened bag and breathed into it to count them
Pretty hard to believe that long before you "bagged" your muffins, that some other shopper didn't sneeze, breathe or fart,
in the vicinity of those muffins. Another thing, why would a cashier need to open the translucent poly-bag to make a count on
what may clearly be seen through the bag? I buy Kaiser rolls at the supermarket (bakery section),from a bin, lift them out of the
bin with the provided tongs, slide them (3 or 4) into the bag, twist the bag and tie a slip-knot at the top. If the cashier ever untied
my knot to "count" the rolls, I would tell them not to bother to ring them up, it would be a "No Sale" on that item. The concept of
smelling smoke on your muffins because the cashier "breathed" on them is just as fishy as your namesake and next time it happens,
try to remember that there are plenty of hungry birds or squirrels who need be fed and who would appreciate "smoked muffins" much
more than the landfill will.

The only time that I find these DIY checkouts to be a hassle, is when I buy beer at the supermarket and have to wait ten minutes
for the regular cashier to finish with their current transaction and come over to the DIY checkout to proof me as an authorized buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment