Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,709,584 times

Advertisements

They are a pain! When I worked at Shaws supermarket they pushed and pushed people to use those DIY checkouts because they could schedule less cashiers. Certain customers loved them because it was fairly easy to cheat those things The checkout managers had certain quotas that they were supposed to meet with customers going through the DIY so it is really stupid sometimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I love!, love!, love! self-checkouts! I pack my own bags and never have to deal with an angry cashier or talk to anyone. I stick my money in and it gives me change without touching me. Love 'em! Love 'em! Love 'em!

If only WalMart would make the switch, I'd think I was in heaven.

Good luck waiting for that - the 2 SuperWalmarts in this area took theirs out after they realised there was WAY too much fraud with them (well duh - 9 machines and ONE cashier, whatcha expect?)

Old 11-10-2010, 05:53 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,519,290 times
I don't use the self checkouts myself. If I want to check myself out I will apply for a job at the establishment.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,953,551 times
They give someone a job - there is always someone monitoring them where we go. I love them because they are convenient when I only have a few items. I never use them if we have an entire cart. Not that many jobs have been eliminated due to the addition of these so you aren't saving anyone from losing their jobs. There are always less self checkouts than regular lines...

Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,417,400 times
Cool Well, there it is...

Even the unemployed just don't get it. 12 registers, 1 person to 'monitor'...pretty much leaves 11 stations unattended and minimum of
11 people w/out work...but, hey, at least it's convenient, huh? So, until the
unemployed wake up and smell the freakin' coffee, there will never be any hope. So..I'm off to work to actually earn a living so I can continue to pay for foodbanks and free medical for the clueless. Sheesh...there really is no hope for common sense in this country. We're getting pretty much what we deserve. See ya in 16 hrs.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,824,612 times
Bring back jobs! Bring back rickshaws!

Koale,

I make decisions that I feel are best. Twenty years ago, I liked dealing with cashiers but today no one bags my groceries right and they're rude when I ask them to double bag. Half the time it feels like I'm an inconvenience as the person rings items like a zombie.

If things aren't like that where you live, more power to you but I don't owe these people anything, let alone anything that justifies my day being burdened with their ineptitude and bad attitudes.

Cashiers need to understand just as anyone in customer service does, you owe the customer. A little appreciation and a whole lot of professionalism in their job would begin to turn the tide of self checkouts. Humans desire interaction and that makes a friendly cashier desirable.

I think I just sold myself on WalMart again.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,705,964 times
I prefer self-checkouts and automated tellers, and use them as much as possible to avoid having to deal with actual people. I don't like people.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,221,287 times
I only use self-checkouts when possible. They go much faster than an actual person.

And are you really making the claim that they put people out of jobs? Who do you think manufactures, builds, programs, and maintains the self-checkout systems? Pixies?

Just because there are a few less people in the physical store doesn't mean there are less jobs!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,655,834 times
LOL, I do agree with the OP. I think that I'd rather have that communication factor, a real person, make a little joke here and there, have some conversation while they are checking my stuff. I find it completely irritating to have to go to the check yourself line, it never fails someone has to come over and do something anyway. The ONLY time I'll use them is if I'm in a rush. The other day was a perfect example, three registers out of 11 open, all three had lines halfway down the store and no one at the self check out. I was in and out in literally five mins.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,458,096 times
I prefer the self-checkout they are a godsend.

There was one time at Walmart before the self checkout that the line was so long and then only cashier held up the line for 20 min waiting for a manager that I just abandoned my cart there and walked out of the store. I didn't go back for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment