Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
What would be easier, calling a handful of close friends and letting them know you are out of work or announcing it to hundreds of people at once, any of whom might have a lead for a job you never even thought of.

One's sexual orientation is a private matter. Yet, there is a spot on your profile for "Interested in", where you can choose men, women or just friendship.
Or you can just not choose any of those options--which is what I do. My Facebook is private to all except my friends. Even "Friends of Friends" can't see my updates and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,300,605 times
I never thought of facebook being used in this way, but I guess it could work for some people. It wouldn't work for me. I don't think I have one fb friend in my industry, which I don't always like. LinkedIn is a different story and I have very few friends that try to connect with me. Actually, I don't like it when some of my friends try to link to me on that site. I've ignored several requests in the past.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I never thought of facebook being used in this way, but I guess it could work for some people. It wouldn't work for me. I don't think I have one fb friend in my industry, which I don't always like. LinkedIn is a different story and I have very few friends that try to connect with me. Actually, I don't like it when some of my friends try to link to me on that site. I've ignored several requests in the past.
Just because YOU don't have any friends in your industry, it doesn't mean that your friends don't know other people in your industry or a relevant one. In my opinion limiting yourself to only prescribed avenues while job hunting is similar to shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,743,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I never talk about work on my Facebook page; I am friends with several people in the office.
I keep my personal and professional lives as separate as possible. I do not include colleagues, co-workers or clients on my FB page. My "friends" are people I know personally outside of the corporate world. I also keep my page locked down tight from viewing by non-friends and my FB name is not my real name. This way, I feel comfortable discussing anything on my FB page that I would feel cool discussing with these people in person, which includes work-type stuff on occasion.

Like someone else posted, I consider FB a social page. If I wanted to use FB for professional networking, I'd set up a separate page under my real name and keep it professional.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes it is. You obviously are an EPIC failure at networking.

I don't think so AnniePoo. And I'm surprised a company let you go since you are sooooooooo GOOD at what you do-lol

Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't think so AnniePoo. And I'm surprised a company let you go since you are sooooooooo GOOD at what you do-lol
Uh, the company was sold you dimwit, I wasn't "let go." (You are the one with a history of terminations, remember?) The company that bought us offered me my choice of three positions--but all would require relocation, which was something I wasn't willing to do. They gave me a nice package and left the door open on working for them should I change my mind. In fact they have tried to recruit me several times, but I don't want to move.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Just because YOU don't have any friends in your industry, it doesn't mean that your friends don't know other people in your industry or a relevant one. In my opinion limiting yourself to only prescribed avenues while job hunting is similar to shooting yourself in the foot.
Yea, that's a good point. I suppose trying anything and everything would behoove a person when out of work. OTOH, most of my friends, but a handful of close ones, outside my professional network don't understand or know what it is that I do. I'm not sure how a generalized claim on my news feed would be of help. Who knows, tho.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I keep my personal and professional lives as separate as possible. I do not include colleagues, co-workers or clients on my FB page. My "friends" are people I know personally outside of the corporate world. I also keep my page locked down tight from viewing by non-friends and my FB name is not my real name. This way, I feel comfortable discussing anything on my FB page that I would feel cool discussing with these people in person, which includes work-type stuff on occasion.

Like someone else posted, I consider FB a social page. If I wanted to use FB for professional networking, I'd set up a separate page under my real name and keep it professional.
I agree with this and it's my approach as well, tho, I still never discuss work on the Internet with people I know offline. For that matter, I discuss nothing about my personal life with people I know offline on the net, except for my late brother. My fb page and his fb largely consists of his memorial and me keeping up with my friend's kids and my family's coming and goings.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yea, that's a good point. I suppose trying anything and everything would behoove a person when out of work. OTOH, most of my friends, but a handful of close ones, outside my professional network don't understand or know what it is that I do. I'm not sure how a generalized claim on my news feed would be of help. Who knows, tho.
Not on Facebook but along the same line... There's a guy who works at the grocery store I shop at. We make small talk sometimes when I see him, and he told me a couple of weeks ago that his wife is still looking for a new job. (She was laid off last year.) I asked what it was that she did, and he kind of explained it. It's an industry I know nothing about, but there were a couple of words that made me realize that it's more or less what a friend who owns his own consulting firm does. So I gave the guy from the grocery my card and told him to have his wife forward her resume. I forwarded it to my friend, and he might have something he can use her for in a month or two.

It's random, but my point is that you just never know when that random encounter is going to be the one to help you find work.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Not on Facebook but along the same line... There's a guy who works at the grocery store I shop at. We make small talk sometimes when I see him, and he told me a couple of weeks ago that his wife is still looking for a new job. (She was laid off last year.) I asked what it was that she did, and he kind of explained it. It's an industry I know nothing about, but there were a couple of words that made me realize that it's more or less what a friend who owns his own consulting firm does. So I gave the guy from the grocery my card and told him to have his wife forward her resume. I forwarded it to my friend, and he might have something he can use her for in a month or two.

It's random, but my point is that you just never know when that random encounter is going to be the one to help you find work.
Again, I don't necessarily disagree with this. I just don't know how it translates across the board. Lets do an experiment, tho. Can you describe what he relayed to you? I'll see if I can understand it.

If a person let me know she had a friend out of work that was a HS teacher, customer service rep., admin assist., I think I would be able to grasp it and think about others I may know that could possibly help. When professions get specialized, I suspect it's more difficult. Plus, you had a conversation, rather than a post on a news feed. I would be surprised if any of my friends would know what ADME is or could even define pharmacokinetics to make the connection with some other person they might know. A conversation would need to be had. Although, I suppose I could get very specific on my info page and that could get passed along. Or, maybe post my CV to my fb notes page. That's an idea.

That's not to say that I don't have friends in my field, but they're professional friends and I tend to keep them separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment