Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,762,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That was a poor form of networking. Contacting someone privately and letting them know in a enthusiactic way you are looking to transition into something new is networking. Not saying-"I Need a job can someone help me"
Public or private, it doesn't really matter. Companies that pay money for advertising open positions do so openly. What's important is to get your message out to as many people as possible. It's who you know, not what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,374,408 times
What would be easier, calling a handful of close friends and letting them know you are out of work or announcing it to hundreds of people at once, any of whom might have a lead for a job you never even thought of.

One's sexual orientation is a private matter. Yet, there is a spot on your profile for "Interested in", where you can choose men, women or just friendship.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,954,217 times
Linked In is my networking tool...

Facebook is where I post my vacation pics for fam and friends.

Obviously, you should always consider your audience before posting,
but in this particular case, I don't see the harm in announcing his being
laid off from his job.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM

19,018 posts, read 25,252,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Another weekend dilemma for Grasshopper to mull upon ...
And you make my Sunday.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I don't see the big issue about someone posting that they have been laid off as long as they don't start bashing the employer or posting any negative remarks. Too many Facebook posters have this mistaken notion that their posts are somehow private or limited to their "friends" but it isn't wise to post anything on Facebook (or on any online site *cough* right TVSG *ahem*) that you don't wish to have advertised for the world to see.
Your posts can be private, but you got to continually fine tune your privacy settings because every time there is a Facebook update, your privacy settings revert back to the default settings...which are not very private.

Or, you can take your privacy up a notch by not using your real name...or keeping two or more separate profiles.

Quote:
That's not networking.
You do realize that a good amount (most?) people get hired because they have a friend or relative that works for the particular business?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,269,062 times
Even if it isn't "networking" I still don't see anything wrong with it.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 AM

311 posts, read 845,536 times
I mean letting people know you were laid off is a good thing to help you find work. If they're on your friends list they can help you find some work because that's what friends and connections do whether in person or online. Also, it's not like he said he was fired of peeing on his boss, the layoff wasn't his fault so why should he feel bad about posting his status.. ...it's better they tell as many people as possible versus hiding out in their apartment listening to Michael Bolton and eating Ice-cream all day *shrugs*

Anyways here is a twitter link to thousands of people posting about their layoffs and needing jobs and people replying back with positions...I know it's "shocking" and appalling how these people are using the internet to help each other
Guardian Angel (JobAngels) on Twitter

http://www.jobangels.org/

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,828,024 times
Quote:
Someone on my friend's list posted that he was laid off and I was stunned because that is personal information. I know people say that you are supposed to let everyone know when you are not working but putting it in your status is just crazy. That never crossed my mind last year when I was laid off but to use facebook to reconnect with people. Weird that people don't know what to put in a facebook status update
It doesn't hurt to let everybody know you are looking for work. Especially friends that know you. They might hand your name over when something opens up.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you're ladi off, why not let others know? They might have a great lead for you.

That's what networking is about.
Exactly! When I learned that I was going to be laid off a couple years ago, the first thing I did was post it to Facebook and ask that if anyone heard of anything that they'd pass it on. I don't see what's so "personal" about getting laid off. To me that's something you want to tell everyone and anyone to try to scrounge up job leads.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times
Quote:
That's not networking.
Yes it is. You obviously are an EPIC failure at networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment