Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,973,084 times

Advertisements

I and many that I know, graduated a top school last july with nearly a 4.0 GPA in Accounting and have not found a job yet. I've had maybe 10 interviews and there are just too many overqualified people applying to entry level jobs. CPA's with 5 yrs experience are applying to 30k jobs around here. Florida is an absolutely horrible job market, always, its time to move but hard to do if you dont have a place to stay somewhere else. Cant just show up in some new city without a job then rent an apartment and start paying for everything, could take at least 6 months to find a job in the new city or much longer if ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,854,972 times
Campus recruiting is definitely about the only way to get a job for students, but I know that it's extremely competitive.

It's also very difficult to move unless you can stay with someone in the new location until you find work. Otherwise you either need money for rent +deposit [assuming they will even rent to someone who is looking for work, which is doubtful] or you'll need to rent one of those extended stay places, which aren't cheap. Neither of those options are usually feasible for new grads, so if they can't stay with a friend or family member in some other city they probably can't move.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,536,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
I and many that I know, graduated a top school last july with nearly a 4.0 GPA in Accounting and have not found a job yet. I've had maybe 10 interviews and there are just too many overqualified people applying to entry level jobs. CPA's with 5 yrs experience are applying to 30k jobs around here. Florida is an absolutely horrible job market, always, its time to move but hard to do if you dont have a place to stay somewhere else. Cant just show up in some new city without a job then rent an apartment and start paying for everything, could take at least 6 months to find a job in the new city or much longer if ever.
Seems odd your school and alumni network wouldn't be able to place a top student. On plus side you have had 10 interviews.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Seems odd your school and alumni network wouldn't be able to place a top student. On plus side you have had 10 interviews.
Not odd at all. 4.0 accounting grads at top schools are a dime a dozen. The best advice honest advisors, faculty and alumni from our school have given us is to move to a better job market outside of Florida. Then, if absoulutely necessary, try to move back with 5-10 yrs experience. Again, it wont be easy to just show up in say NY and find housing and pay for life while unemployed for an unknown period. Most move in with a relative or friend wherever they can

Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Not odd at all. 4.0 accounting grads at top schools are a dime a dozen. The best advice honest advisors, faculty and alumni from our school have given us is to move to a better job market outside of Florida. Then, if absoulutely necessary, try to move back with 5-10 yrs experience. Again, it wont be easy to just show up in say NY and find housing and pay for life while unemployed for an unknown period. Most move in with a relative or friend wherever they can
Well I think anyone who goes to school in FL has to be open to working in another state. I know a couple accounting grads that got jobs after their MBA and before sitting for exam in the last couple years.

I assume you went to UF or FSU?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 AM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Exactly this, and yes it does indicate the times we are in now. Nearing my graduation in 2008 Id hope to be making 30-40k a year, maybe, maybe 50k if I was lucky but I did think 30-40k was reasonable.

Now 20-30k is like a bloody king's ransom, and to the parents- no we grads are not turning down work, waiting for the "dream job", there is no work, there is no work to turn down in the first place and yes getting an internship even unpaid is just as hard as that ever elusive first job.
Time to start searching for jobs in different lines of work. Not everyone graduating with an accounting degree is going to go on to be an accountant. Accounting degrees are good stepping stones to other areas within the business realm. Many CEOs have accounting degrees.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,157,603 times
I finished my accounting degree in December 2011. I just started working as an Staff Account-Accounts Receivable for a defense contracting company at the beginning of this month. I got the job thru a staffing agency and it's temp to perm. I make low 40's. Hopefully, it will increase a bit when I become permanent. This company desperately needed someone but I think they were having a hard time finding someone for the job. One of my co-workers told me they went from wanting experience to a recent grad with no experience. So far, it seems to be working out.

I am a bit concerned that I won't have as many opportunities in the future because I didn't go the Big 4 route. But, I hope I can still have a satsfying career without Big 4 experience.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,855,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I am a bit concerned that I won't have as many opportunities in the future because I didn't go the Big 4 route. But, I hope I can still have a satsfying career without Big 4 experience.
Give me a break. I didn't go the "Big 4" route and I'm doing fine. Work 40 hours a week, make in the high $50ks. I'm preparing for the CPA exam and if I pass that, $70k-$80k is easily obtainable.

I've only been out of school for about five years. A "Big 4" accounting firm will work you like a dog, think 65-70 hour work weeks, for meager pay. I'm on a great track WITHOUT "Big 4" experience and I could care less that KPMG, Deloitte, PWC, or Ernst & Young isn't on my resume.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Give me a break. I didn't go the "Big 4" route and I'm doing fine. Work 40 hours a week, make in the high $50ks. I'm preparing for the CPA exam and if I pass that, $70k-$80k is easily obtainable.

I've only been out of school for about five years. A "Big 4" accounting firm will work you like a dog, think 65-70 hour work weeks, for meager pay. I'm on a great track WITHOUT "Big 4" experience and I could care less that KPMG, Deloitte, PWC, or Ernst & Young isn't on my resume.
The ones I know seven years out at a big four are makin low six figures. They do work a lot of hours but upside is much bigger than the 70-80k you mention.

That being said I'd pick the same route you are.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,213,619 times
While big 4 experience helps it is certainly not a requirement. I know plenty of people making very good money who never went public at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment