Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Accounting is becoming judgment based now so it'll never be taken over by computers IMO.
I wouldnt be so sure, computers are starting to get much better judgment than people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I wouldnt be so sure, computers are starting to get much better judgment than people...
My dog displays better judgment than most people I've met.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
The term I heard is "principles-based." Can't remember the term for what the US currently has [think it is "rules-based"], but basically a lot of things here are determined by quantitative things like dollar values and percentages. A principles-based system would not give that clear of a guidance, and theoretically would be harder to wiggle out of.

Thing is, though, it probably wouldn't be that relevant to the vast majority of people in the field, aside from those who worked for publicly traded companies, Big 4 and other larger firms, etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Automation cuts both ways. It lessens the amount of administerial work companies have to do, but it also greatly allows them to do things they never used to do before.

For example, large scale mergers or a series of frequent mergers were rare in the past, because it took too long to integrate businesses (sometimes years). With technology today, it is much easier for companies to acquire new businesses, bring new products to market, enter foreign markets, etc. So business is much more complex than it ever was before. A mid sized parts business may have had a single factory in Michigan and 1 client in Ford, and financed its operations through a local bank.

Now, that company might have factories in South America, have clients throughout the world, has a sophisticated distribution system, has foreign currency issues, complex international tax issues, and is financed with a syndicate of lenders from throughout the world. It may also see opportunities in Asia and investigate whether to buy a foreign company to complement their existing product line. None of that would be feasible 30 years ago, or even 15 years ago for smaller companies.

With that added complexity, there are now much more difficult accounting issues and management needs much more sophisticated reports to run their business than in the past.

The trend is that business is getting much more complex, so businesses will still demand increasingly sophisticated accountants.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
one thing to bear in mind is that a large number of accounting services can be done by a computer (or overseas), with minimal human input.

and yes, I know that leaves other work (ala auditing) but if you have a tens of thousands people leaving Tax for Audit, you will see those jobs start to pay less too.

There are now too many of us chasing a few high paying jobs, and those jobs get less every year.
Modern-day accounting is done through computers. Quickbooks, major ERP systems. I worked for a major company that off-sourced the AP function to China. The human is there to double check the work of the program and for any technical problems.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,893 times
Ok folks... I have a couple of questions...

I'm graduting with a bachelors in accounting. Lets hypothetically say I dont get an internship before I graduate. If I have to start as a bookkeeper, AR & AP clerk, accounting clerk/assistant, etc can I later move up to staff accountant? Or will I be stuck at these lower jobs for the rest of my career?

Also, I'll be CPA eligible at the time I get my bachelors. Should I even pursue a MACC or just get the CPA?

Last one, if I do start at one of the lower level jobs and sit for the CPA would firms hire me for a staff accountant then?

Thanks for the advice! :-)

Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
Ok folks... I have a couple of questions...

I'm graduting with a bachelors in accounting. Lets hypothetically say I dont get an internship before I graduate. If I have to start as a bookkeeper, AR & AP clerk, accounting clerk/assistant, etc can I later move up to staff accountant? Or will I be stuck at these lower jobs for the rest of my career?

Also, I'll be CPA eligible at the time I get my bachelors. Should I even pursue a MACC or just get the CPA?

Last one, if I do start at one of the lower level jobs and sit for the CPA would firms hire me for a staff accountant then?

Thanks for the advice! :-)
You can work up but remember your primary goal is to start out as a staff accountant and work up to a senior...you'll have an accounting degree, you shouldn't settle for an A/P, A/R, or bookeeper position...

Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
The MAcc often has no purpose for people if they are already CPA exam eligible. Programs vary, but a lot of them are designed for people with no previous accounting coursework to get exam eligible.

One exception might be for an undergrad to give themselves another chance to get in front of recruiters, especially the bigger firms that tend to only hire people within their college recruiting pipeline.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,389 times
Here's my advice: work for the local government. Start off as an a/p clerk and work your way up.
That's how I became the CFO. I don't even have a CPA but now I teach governmental/fund accounting to CPA's. I also review CAFRS and Budgets for the GFOA. It's a good career that most people don't even consider. A lot of government accountants are retiring so there will be quite a few openings.
We also get good retirement benefits, especially in Texas.
Don't restrict yourself to cities only, but look in counties and special districts.
Don't limit yourselves with those degrees, kids

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,389 times
Also, in this type of field, you can bet your patootie it ain't gonna be outsourced not on taxpayers money it ain't There would be an uproar!!! Remember this is LOCAL government!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment