Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,861,324 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing A LOT of $20,000-$30,000 accounting jobs for recent graduates.

When I graduated six years ago, I had no work experience and got an offer for $45,000. That was actually on the low end as most of my peers were getting $50,000-$60,000 offers immediately after graduation. There were all sorts of "signing bonuses" back then. Those days are long gone!!!

If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't go into accounting. Besides the abysmal pay for entry level graduates nowadays, the work itself is incredibly dry and boring. I've worked in tax, audit, and corporate accounting and have found all of the work to be dull and uninteresting. Add in the toxic office environments and it becomes Hell. Studying accounting in school and actually doing it on a day-to-day basis are two different things.

I'm currently researching other career paths and will take night classes to train for a different field.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 03-24-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 29,348 times
This may be true for the old folks; not for new graduates.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 29,348 times
Totally agree with TexDav.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,247,343 times
Accountants with 0-2 years experience are getting around 50K in my neck of the woods.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 PM

29,937 posts, read 25,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Accountants with 0-2 years experience are getting around 50K in my neck of the woods.
Where did you get this information from? The word I hear from the grads out here is that many of those types of jobs are permatemp $12/hr jobs.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Where did you get this information from? The word I hear from the grads out here is that many of those types of jobs are permatemp $12/hr jobs.
I have a good handle on the local market.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 AM

29,937 posts, read 25,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have a good handle on the local market.
A lot of parents also thought they had a good handle on the local market when they sent their spawn off to get their accounting degrees... I wouldn't take your word as being evidence of such... I would actually be interested, because I have friends in Michigan who have business degrees, including accounting degrees from reputable universities, who would greatly benefit from jobs that are above clerical level paper pushing jobs that pay 25K/year. From my viewpoint, all the effort and debt has not been paying off for a lot of folks, but that is the way capitalism works I suppose.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM

878 posts, read 1,657,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'm seeing A LOT of $20,000-$30,000 accounting jobs for recent graduates.

When I graduated six years ago, I had no work experience and got an offer for $45,000. That was actually on the low end as most of my peers were getting $50,000-$60,000 offers immediately after graduation. There were all sorts of "signing bonuses" back then. Those days are long gone!!!

If I were to do it all over again, I wouldn't go into accounting. Besides the abysmal pay for entry level graduates nowadays, the work itself is incredibly dry and boring.
That's where I consider myself to be very lucky... I wake up every day looking forward to going to work. My line of work (CNC machining aluminum and titanium Boeing aircraft parts) is never dull, it's always something different and is very rewarding.

Not sure what I would do if I had a job that was the same old dry and boring thing day after day... I guess I'd find another profession too.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
A lot of parents also thought they had a good handle on the local market when they sent their spawn off to get their accounting degrees... I wouldn't take your word as being evidence of such... I would actually be interested, because I have friends in Michigan who have business degrees, including accounting degrees from reputable universities, who would greatly benefit from jobs that are above clerical level paper pushing jobs that pay 25K/year. From my viewpoint, all the effort and debt has not been paying off for a lot of folks, but that is the way capitalism works I suppose.
Take my word. Don't take my word. Makes no difference to me. I deal with hiring that level of accountants on a regular basis. I know what we pay and I know what other companies in the area pay.

And Michigan has absolutely nothing to do with where I live. Would you compare New York with Ohio and expect things to be similar?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,857,475 times
50k sounds about right for the larger markets with higher cost of living.

The lower wages mentioned unfortunately also sound about right for smaller markets that don't have a lot of major companies.

This field has never really been about making high salary right out of the gate, the entry level jobs are more about opportunity to gain experience and eventually earn a solid salary a few years down the road. The problem is when people can't get that initial experience...I'm hoping a relocation to another state later this year may help me.

Last edited by e_cuyler; 03-25-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment