Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
This is the first time I've heard someone speak this way about accounting jobs. Everyone I know is well-payed (50-55k starting entry level) and pretty happy with no issues finding jobs. But then again they all graduated from one of the best accounting programs in the nation. Maybe if you didn't go to a well-known program, you will have issues.

And the way you talk about the CPA exam comes off as really defeatist. You should take it.

Same here. Everyone I know who graduated with an accounting degree was able to get a decent job straight out of college even without any interning experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
i guess theoratically there is no 100% major, no matter what some will be unemployed for a bit, either due to laziness and their part, lack of opportuinty, not willing to move etc...

That being said accounting is still a rock solid major. If you enjoy the work and can handle it, then defitnely go for it.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

361 posts, read 922,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
go to Boston. There are a ton of listings.
Sure, there's also 5 Million people living there.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
But then again they all graduated from one of the best accounting programs in the nation
Yeah, but I mean that's like saying all my friends who went to MIT have no problem finding programming jobs. I'm talking about the vast majority of folks who went to state schools. Yes, if you went to Bentley I'm sure you'd have more luck. Just goes without saying

Old 03-21-2013, 07:51 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
LOL after the first few years, the FDIC job becomes rather cushy. One doesn't have to work long hours and can still make a six figure income. I imagine that the majority of ivy league grads who major in business/finance and/or accounting prefer IB but for those who don't, they do head over to the FDIC.
What Ivy League school offers an undergraduate accounting degree? The answer is ZERO.

Some offer graduate programs in it to teach it to their MBA students and they are primarily doctoral programs. The closest thing to an undergraduate accounting degree is the very small number of Penn students that get a Business Administration degree with a concentration in accounting. Hardly any of those grads enter the accounting profession and mostly head to wall street or silicon valley.

What Ivy League school offers an undergraduate business degree? Only Penn. Though Cornell has a Hotel and Restaurant management college, hardly the path for a career as a banking regulator.

What Ivy Leaguers are at the FDIC? My guess is lawyers, economists, and former bankers that are involved in policy making areas vs. the nuts and bolts of examinations. My guess is you'll see way more Catholic or American U. law grads than those at Harvard though. High level policy making is done more at the Fed, Treasury Dept. and the white house than at the FDIC.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
what ivy league school offers an undergraduate accounting degree? The answer is zero.

Some offer graduate programs in it to teach it to their mba students and they are primarily doctoral programs. The closest thing to an undergraduate accounting degree is the very small number of penn students that get a business administration degree with a concentration in accounting. Hardly any of those grads enter the accounting profession and mostly head to wall street or silicon valley.

What ivy league school offers an undergraduate business degree? Only penn. Though cornell has a hotel and restaurant management college, hardly the path for a career as a banking regulator.

What ivy leaguers are at the fdic? My guess is lawyers, economists, and former bankers that are involved in policy making areas vs. The nuts and bolts of examinations. My guess is you'll see way more catholic or american u. Law grads than those at harvard though. High level policy making is done more at the fed, treasury dept. And the white house than at the fdic.
st*u

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
What Ivy League school offers an undergraduate accounting degree? The answer is ZERO.

Some offer graduate programs in it to teach it to their MBA students and they are primarily doctoral programs. The closest thing to an undergraduate accounting degree is the very small number of Penn students that get a Business Administration degree with a concentration in accounting. Hardly any of those grads enter the accounting profession and mostly head to wall street or silicon valley.

What Ivy League school offers an undergraduate business degree? Only Penn. Though Cornell has a Hotel and Restaurant management college, hardly the path for a career as a banking regulator.

What Ivy Leaguers are at the FDIC? My guess is lawyers, economists, and former bankers that are involved in policy making areas vs. the nuts and bolts of examinations. My guess is you'll see way more Catholic or American U. law grads than those at Harvard though. High level policy making is done more at the Fed, Treasury Dept. and the white house than at the FDIC.
Very true. Why would someone at an Ivy League want to become an accountant, if they can get into finance, where the real money is?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
Quote:
Very true. Why would someone at an Ivy League want to become an accountant, if they can get into finance, where the real money is?
Because some people really like accounting, which is usually a stable career and predictable income?

Not everyone is all about money. Finance careers can take a toll on you in terms of hours, and some people don't want that worn out life.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Quote:

Because Wall Street finance type jobs are 80 hours a week and public accounting jobs are 50. Private accounting is 40 hours a week and no matter what type of accounting you do, you can work from home.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Because Wall Street finance type jobs are 80 hours a week and public accounting jobs are 50. Private accounting is 40 hours a week and no matter what type of accounting you do, you can work from home.
Those are ridiculous blanket statements. Most people I know in public accounting work way more than 50 hours a week. And as someone that works in private accounting I can tell you that 40 hours a week for many is not even close to accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment