Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,691,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
accounting is becoming popular b/c it's one of the few degrees at today's universities that's tangible.

accounting
computer science
and a handfull of others but that's it

in a day and age where so many have degrees and the employment situation like it is people are re-thinking the whole "liberal arts" type degree and plan.
And this is why anyone who is smart will steer way away from these degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,691,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
What year did you graduate with a degree in accounting?

I ask because I'm talking about the accounting field TODAY. Things have changed a lot with the past 5 years. In TODAY's marketing getting a lucrative entry level job is hard.

people you graduated a decade ago and have years of experience obviously have it a little easier. BUT in TODAY's market employers want years of experience, high gpa, and software knowledge for low ball salaries.

Also, how many years experience do you have and how much do you make?
Well, seeing as it is so volatile, who is to say 5 years from now accounting won't be the most lucrative?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,941,455 times
Accounting jobs will all go to India? Does anyone else think this is what will happen? I hope I'm not working my rear off for nothing.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 PM

189 posts, read 363,316 times
Forget accounting, stick to Computer Science. Far far better prospects for the future.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM

456 posts, read 1,173,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Accounting jobs will all go to India? Does anyone else think this is what will happen? I hope I'm not working my rear off for nothing.
Wouldn't that be a major security issue? I mean do you really want some guy in India going through your private financial documents? God I hope they don't outsource accounting jobs.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM

456 posts, read 1,173,478 times
Quote:
It's not going to happen. To audit a company, you need to be AT the actual facility. There's no way PWC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG are going to send jobs to India (logistically improbable) or get guys from India to come here. No way.

If you work hard, get into a good program, maybe have a few internships, and have basic social skills, you should be fine with an accounting degree. Those that say otherwise are either socially inept, had poor grades, went to a bad school, or have terrible interviewing skills.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM

361 posts, read 924,543 times
Quote:
All I have been able to get is Accounts Payable and I was thankful to get even that. Just read this thread - there are plenty of accountants out there who would kill to have even a bookkeeping position. It's a matter of numbers. For instance, where I live (Maine) there are over a hundred students a year graduating with degrees in accounting. I can tell you right now that in a state with barely one million people there are not going to be 100 positions available at the public accounting firms.

I'd find an accounts payable position soon. Might as well find stable employment now because it certainly isn't going to be waiting for you just because you have a degree. Every industry is hurting now. When I went into a staffing agency last week to apply for a part-time manufacturing position there was a Chemical Engineer in-line behind me. That should tell you something...

If you can get an entry level position for 13.00/hr you should consider that fine. Shoot, even accountants with 5 years experience are barely making $40,000 here and we have one of the highest costs of living. So I'd imagine it's worse in other places. That CPA license ain't bringing the riches like it once did.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 AM

991 posts, read 1,116,069 times
If you are a CPA, you have some audit experience, and you are networking with your local Society of CPAs you should be fine. I am a CPA and I know other CPAs and there certainly is enough work to do.

Again, if you are a marketable candidate you will find demand for your skills.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 AM

361 posts, read 924,543 times
These are some accounting positions in my area:

Tax Accountant I, CPA Preferred, 2-4 Years Experience required....$29,000/year

Job Details

Staff Accountant, 6 Years Experience required....$31,304/year

General Government Service Center - Direct Hire Career Opportunities

Assistant to Controller, 7 years Experience, CPA required...no salary specified

Untitled Page

SENIOR Staff Accountant, 5 years Experiences....$34,355

Job Details

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM

734 posts, read 935,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc.random View Post
Any update???

people finding getting accounting jobs easy?
Why don't you apply for a position with the FDIC as an entry level bank examiner?

Quote:
Bank Examiners

Examiners participate in the assessment of financial institutions to determine the existence of unsafe and unsound practices, violations of law and regulation, the adequacy of internal controls/procedures and the general character of management. Examiners write comments and analyses for inclusion in reports of examination and meet with insured depository institution officials, including the board of directors, to discuss the finding of an examination and, if necessary, to institute any corrective programs. Most positions require a degree in business, finance, accounting or a related field with at least 6 semester hours in accounting.
The pay is between 50k - 160K a year. The great part about the job is, as you grow and learn, you will move up the ladder. Typically recent grads start out at 50K. Those who exhibit solid skills and a strong work ethic have no problems receiving promotions and within 5-7 years are making at least 108K/year income, earning ample vacation and have plenty of mobility options (since the FDIC has offices in almost all states). Not to mention, FDIC bank examiner positions are usually very stable. Just be sure to apply for a permanent position, and not the temp positions.

Truthfully, the FDIC had a lot of problems filling accountant related positions 5-7 years ago. There were so many programs created to recruit newly minted accountant graduates. The chief concern was, how can a federal agency like the FDIC compete with big accountant corporate firms? At career fairs, HR tried to market the FDIC as a place with a great training and development culture, but LOL not many accounting majors were interested. Needless to say, times have changed. HR at the FDIC rarely attend college fairs, now they mostly market to "experienced hires."

Last edited by Lilly1224; 03-20-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment