Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 AM

165 posts, read 884,545 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Marshall, 7 miles north of Weaverville later this year and hoping someone might provide an update on the big shopping center planned in Weaverville. I was so bummed when I first heard that this was coming to Weaverville, but finally resigned myself to the fact that it was likely inevitable.

At first I heard or read Target and Loew's as anchors being batted about. Recently articles say Walmart, (rats).... ANybody have any update info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 PM

958 posts, read 2,622,385 times
Yeah, the Target and Lowe's were approved about a year ago. Haven't heard much about them since. The Super WalMart was approved a few months ago. They're displacing residents of a mobile home park, and there's an uproar about that right now.

This isn't the pristine place it used to be, and the more people that are moving here cause the demand for more megastores as those that are coming. Urban sprawl is hitting the mountains, and it will do nothing but get worse.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 18,399 times
Default Walmart Weaverville

I live in Weaverville and yes, I've heard about the impending Walmarts and Lowes coming in. I've got real mixed feelings about it all - - on one hand, being that I live in the eastern part of Weaverville, the impact of those stores coming in isn't going to affect us very much insofar as getting home from I-26, but I am very upset that the development is going to displace all those people, many of them older, without much financial resources, etc. Weaverville is not the town it once was that's for sure! Land and home prices have gone through the roof and we still haven't seen the end of it ...not by a long shot.
My ambivalent feelings come in here in that I'm sort of glad that there will be somewhere to shop for things we need without having to go all the way down I-26 and then out 240 to get to a Walmarts or Lowes. My other hope is that they will bring in some quality restuarants for a change - something other than McDonalds, Arbys, or PizzaHut! Heck, I'd settle for a good CrakerBarrel in this area - instead we always have to drive down towards Asheville or out Patton Avenue. My other hope is that the opening of these stores will provide jobs for some ...even if they are minimum wage jobs at that.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 AM

Well with our pending relocation we have been up to the area 5 times in 2006.

One of our goals was to experience the local restaurants. We have done a few of the Asheville places and will look forward to trying them all. But I must say that for the size town, we are pleased with the restaurants/eatery's in Weaverville.

From the Well Bred to the 'Chinese Buffet, Milling Company, Athens and Poppy's for breakfast we think all its great.
(Stoney Knob, Sunnyside too)

Living in suburban sprawl 25 miles north of Clearwater we have the fast food places but very few good, local 'slow food' restaurants.

Thanks for the Walmart update....

Last edited by Ed&Betty; 01-08-2007 at 05:14 AM..

Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 AM

62 posts, read 215,788 times
I can certainly understand where you are comming from. I just returned from my third trip to that area in the last few months.

First of all congratulations on your choice. I think the Marshall area is a great area. I do feel however that it is about to explode. The close proximity to Asheville make it likely if not inevitable that considerable development is on the horizon.

Too bad about Weaverville. I am originally from Vermont where there was a huge campaign fought to keep Wal-Mart and the like out. A ton of money was spent in the struggle, but in the end Wal-Mart won out and has several Vermont locations now.

I am actually beginning to rethink my plans to move to that area. This last trip really opened my eyes. The whole reason so many of us are attracted to western NC is the pristine beauty of the Mountains. Unfortunately there appears to be so much love for the mountains that they are being desecrated. I cannot believe what I saw in the mountains around Asheville. The development is out of control. Lake Lure I found disturbing. All of the natural beauty is being replaced with "McMansions" on every square foot of land they can get. I sincerely hope something is done before there is nothing left.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM

958 posts, read 2,622,385 times
A new commercial has started appearing on TV over the last couple days here in Asheville. A builder/developer is speaking out against the environmentalists trying to save the area from further out of control development. He's saying that without this development, the job market here will crash. The job market here already is terrible, if you're looking for anything that pays halfway decently, so his point is pretty moot, if you ask me.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 AM

Well, we are part of that growth.

I lived in Charlotte in the 70's and a big night out back then was to hit the new fangled ATM machine and see the Charlotte Checkers play. Different city today.

Weaverville in Buncombe and Marshall in Madison will grow and so will all of WNC, as evidenced simply by the traffic on this and other forums.
We are looking forward very much to moving...... growth, Walmart and development notwithstanding.

We took a different approach when we found our area for our new home. We are down low on the Ivy River with 570' river frontage and will be somewhat secluded fro the other homes in our little development.

I know this, its much better than Pasco County, FL where we are now.

Cabinman....Betty is from Vermont..Northeast Kingdom...Very similar geography to Madison County but 1000% better weather in NC than VT!!

Last edited by Ed&Betty; 01-08-2007 at 09:36 AM..

Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
<<<I know this, its much better than Pasco County, FL where we are now.>>>

You said it, Ed&Betty! I live in Pasco, too, and boy talk about OUT-OF-CONTROL DEVELOPMENT! I think a big part of the discussion here as far as development goes, is that those of us moving TO WNC see it as a respite from where we currently are and quite nice, while those who live there now see all the developing and comparing how things used to be. Unfortunately things always change - some places grow, and some actually lose things, but frankly I think OVERALL the WNC area is growing responsibly - much more so than anywhere here in Fla! I have come to accept that Asheville and surrounding areas won't stay the same for long, a lot of people want to live there and I can't blame them. I personally didn't build anything, I bought an existing small home within the city, but yes there is lots being built. At least there are many condos going up in town and more "new urbanist" designed villages, to help control sprawl. And quite a few developers seem interested in preserving "green space."

As to Walmart - well I have got to say that I have always HATED Walmart (the ones here in my town are horrible!) but the one in Asheville is the most beautiful I have ever seen! Gorgeous landscaped parking lot on the river - and the store itself has incredible food choices and prices and really nice employees! And very clean! They seem to care a bit more there. I actually don't mind shopping there at all! I am sure the one in Weaverville will be just as nice. Can't stop 'em coming, so at least be glad they are nice and not just eyesores. The one in Weaverville will help to serve not just that town, but northern Asheville, since now those folks have to go all the way across town to get to the other one.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM

62 posts, read 215,788 times
I feel I need to chime back in. I didn't mean to rain on your parade. I sincerely wish you the best and that the relocation is all that you hope it will be. As I stated the Marshall area is really beautiful and still quite undeveloped. Who knows I may end up there myself.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 AM

Yeah, probably as undeveloped an area one will find and still that close to a city.

I like the idea of a smaller city nearby and yet still being away from it all.

I have lived in Tampa City Proper and in several surrounding communities near the beaches for 27 years, the sprawl and traffic are horrendous.

Madison County is pristine in comparison to around here. My parade remains sunny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina