Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,800 times

Advertisements

Urban sprawl has destroyed Florida, and all the retirees and people who are dissatisfied with the unregulated sprawl of Florida are now moving to North carolina. They think it's great. Oh, of course they would say this, because they are comparing it to Florida, which is one of the worse states in America, in terms of Sprawl. I have lived in north carolina all my life, and the only reason it is sprawling, is because the state does not have a smart growth plan. There are states with smart growth plans, which curb urban sprawl but this is not one of them. North carolina is Florida with mountins. Unfortunatly, North carolina will soon will be flat, like florida, because the people from florida will flatten the mountin so they can put there house on it. One day, the people from florida, that have moved here, will realize they not only destroyed their paradise in the sun in florida, but will have destroyed another state, the state of north carolina. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbine View Post
Urban sprawl has destroyed Florida, and all the retirees and people who are dissatisfied with the unregulated sprawl of Florida are now moving to North carolina. They think it's great. Oh, of course they would say this, because they are comparing it to Florida, which is one of the worse states in America, in terms of Sprawl. I have lived in north carolina all my life, and the only reason it is sprawling, is because the state does not have a smart growth plan. There are states with smart growth plans, which curb urban sprawl but this is not one of them. North carolina is Florida with mountins. Unfortunatly, North carolina will soon will be flat, like florida, because the people from florida will flatten the mountin so they can put there house on it. One day, the people from florida, that have moved here, will realize they not only destroyed their paradise in the sun in florida, but will have destroyed another state, the state of north carolina. Thanks.
Posts like this are so insulting and irritating because you are blaming Floridians for things you don't like happening in NC. I am a native Floridian and I did NOTHING to ruin my state! I hate what has happened, but I blame politicians and greedy developers, not the folks from the midwest or northeast who came down here - they just want a better life for themselves -so if you want to point fingers, do it where it belongs and leave the poor folks who can't help what happens out of it.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 AM

165 posts, read 884,389 times
Kudo's gypsychic, could'nt have said it better myself.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 PM

39 posts, read 119,547 times
Wal-mart is coming as well as lowes, At least we won't have to travel to asheville, GOODBYE ROSES!!!!! But does anyone know what else is going in there??? IM hearing borders books and barnes and noble booksellers. construction beginning in may 2007

Old 02-13-2007, 05:50 PM

good job, i too think they are not harming the area, one thing i believe is that they just want to get away from the hurricanes.
thank you!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Angry urban

You're wrong!!!!!! Sorry but you are!!! to cburbine

Last edited by danbel89; 02-13-2007 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: make it better

Old 02-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Im wondering,
have any of you ate at cheddars?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbel89 View Post
Wal-mart is coming as well as lowes, At least we won't have to travel to asheville, GOODBYE ROSES!!!!! But does anyone know what else is going in there??? IM hearing borders books and barnes and noble booksellers. construction beginning in may 2007
This is so cool, I'm over here in WA state and get to read what's going on near my property in Weaverville. I like the fact that the stores are going in, I have view property in Weaverville and planned on building there for retirement, but I'm now selling instead, right down the road from this construction (2-3 miles).

I think that it'll help property values for current owners, but make the area less affordable for new buyers. Better increasing values than decreasing, means the area is growing and not dying, more jobs, not less jobs.

I just wish I had the money to build on the land without having to sell it first....catch 22 for me, I'll have money when I sell it, but then I don't have anywhere to build on.

Tony

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 AM

165 posts, read 884,389 times
So Tony, your land is out 25/70 towards Marshall?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
Yeah on 25/70 right down the road from my sister's house, off of Jupiter Rd. I'd love to build there, it is so very nice 360 degree views, really I love it. But like I mentioned, I don't have the money to build on it and to keep it at the same time.

The real estate market turned down here in WA and I didn't make enough off my house here to build for cash there. I'm semi-retired now, looking to go to school, and not wanting a mortgage.....trying to live the Dave Ramsey debt free model

I do have one lot in Weaverville that is much cheaper that I can afford to build on, but it doesn't have the killer views that my nice lot has......I know, I know I'm wanting too much, can't have my cake and eat it too.

Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina