Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Yeah on 25/70 right down the road from my sister's house, off of Jupiter Rd. I'd love to build there, it is so very nice 360 degree views, really I love it. But like I mentioned, I don't have the money to build on it and to keep it at the same time.

The real estate market turned down here in WA and I didn't make enough off my house here to build for cash there. I'm semi-retired now, looking to go to school, and not wanting a mortgage.....trying to live the Dave Ramsey debt free model

I do have one lot in Weaverville that is much cheaper that I can afford to build on, but it doesn't have the killer views that my nice lot has......I know, I know I'm wanting too much, can't have my cake and eat it too.

Tony
Hey Tony,
I was wondering if you or anyone else has any info on Northern Horizons subdivision? It's out 25/70 to Jupiter Rd. to Flint Creek Rd. About 800 ft. after you turn onto Flint Creek on the left. We bought property here for retirement and were wondering about the status of the subdivision. Any info is appreciated.....thanks Kirk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,512 times
Angry *angry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbel89 View Post
Wal-mart is coming as well as lowes, At least we won't have to travel to asheville, GOODBYE ROSES!!!!! But does anyone know what else is going in there??? IM hearing borders books and barnes and noble booksellers. construction beginning in may 2007
Yeah, freaking great. There goes my job.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,512 times
Angry angry yet again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed&Betty View Post
Yeah, probably as undeveloped an area one will find and still that close to a city.

I like the idea of a smaller city nearby and yet still being away from it all.

I have lived in Tampa City Proper and in several surrounding communities near the beaches for 27 years, the sprawl and traffic are horrendous.

Madison County is pristine in comparison to around here. My parade remains sunny!!
There's no, "being away from it all." You either got the city, and all the negatives that come with it, or you don't. Well my job is up in the air now. People call Roses and say, "Gee, think yall'll go out of buisness?" Well, duh. I remain fully against this coming to Weaverville. I've lived here all my life, and although I do believe in pro-economy type things, this will further support a monopoly, (Wal-mart,) and once again run off the smaller buisnesses. But, whatever. Ill just go work at Lowes, I guess, when Roses goes under.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

101 posts, read 427,923 times
I will be sending many families from PASCO CO here in FL up to WNC for a look around..........

Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,011,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdj View Post
Hey Tony,
I was wondering if you or anyone else has any info on Northern Horizons subdivision? It's out 25/70 to Jupiter Rd. to Flint Creek Rd. About 800 ft. after you turn onto Flint Creek on the left. We bought property here for retirement and were wondering about the status of the subdivision. Any info is appreciated.....thanks Kirk
Talk about a late reply, this was posted 9 months ago and I just saw it

Anyway, small world, Northern Horizons was where my lots were, I sold them to a couple from Florida, I also sold my other Weaverville lot. I wound up buying 26 acres of land 40 minutes from Weaverville in TN for $45,000 less than what I sold the 3 lots for in NC.

So now I have 26 acres versus 3 acres for less money, but I only have enough cash to build a small home (which is fine).

I'd like to build in NC (where I grew up) but with the higher property costs, higher taxes, higher gas prices, etc I can't afford NC, but I go to Weaverville often as my sister is there.

As to the Walmart in Weaverville, it's under construction now, I went past there yesterday and there is tons of dirt work going on. A positive thing to consider is that the Walmart will cut down on as many people driving to Asheville, which reduces traffic, gas fumes, gas usage and less people on the road going to the Asheville Walmart

Tony

Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM

648 posts, read 2,983,022 times
A side note, pre-construction work has begun at the site of the new Wal-Mart Supercenter on Airport Rd in Arden. Wal-Mart will double their presence in the county within the next year!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:05 PM

45 posts, read 80,675 times
Default Walmart in Sylva helped downtown

If Sylva is an indication, then Walmart might help Weaverville. It drove the Mom & Pops out of business (let's be nice and say it "hastened their retirements"), but they deserved it! I have never seen so many business people who hated the students at Western Carolina Univ. They would close at 4:45 each day (signs said 5) thus keeping hours that students/University folks could never meet. The new places, owned by a younger group, include bakeries, restaurants, coffee houses, galleries, and even a micro-brewery. At night now, Sylva is booming!

Pegleg

Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 AM

4 posts, read 14,628 times
As much as I hate a Walmart in Weaverville, the only good thing I can see coming out of it is the death of our eyesore of a Roses. What a dump. And staffed by kids wearing black metal band tshirts with attitudes to match.

Good riddance.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM

39 posts, read 119,629 times
Hopefully target will come in.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 AM

39 posts, read 119,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbeliever12 View Post
There's no, "being away from it all." You either got the city, and all the negatives that come with it, or you don't. Well my job is up in the air now. People call Roses and say, "Gee, think yall'll go out of buisness?" Well, duh. I remain fully against this coming to Weaverville. I've lived here all my life, and although I do believe in pro-economy type things, this will further support a monopoly, (Wal-mart,) and once again run off the smaller buisnesses. But, whatever. Ill just go work at Lowes, I guess, when Roses goes under.
I do hope that roses goes under!!! Used to being that roses was a nice store, but now its more like a YARD SALE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina