Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM

33 posts, read 39,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlarrngr View Post
That is great news! Gravel should be ok though? Good Luck!!
I certainly hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
When we moved into our mountain home, the movers parked the moving van at their motel, rented a much smaller U-haul, and made eight trips up the mountain. It was all figured into the price. They were experienced with the area. Be sure to read recommendations about the individuals actually doing the work- not just the company. Also feed them and tip them well. It took almost 11 hours to get us fully moved in.
That's very helpful info, thank you so much!! I should do a new post asking for reliable movers familiar with the area.

We had a similar situation when we moved in October from Vermont. Had a big snowstorm the night before our original move date and the movers couldn't get to us. We also had a very steep gravel driveway, but it was only a quarter mile. The movers did have to use a smaller truck up and down the driveway to the bigger truck below. Sadly, I was so frazzled I forgot coffee and donuts for them. I won't ever do that again!! I felt bad, they worked so hard.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 AM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
When we moved into our mountain home, the movers parked the moving van at their motel, rented a much smaller U-haul, and made eight trips up the mountain. It was all figured into the price. They were experienced with the area. Be sure to read recommendations about the individuals actually doing the work- not just the company. Also feed them and tip them well. It took almost 11 hours to get us fully moved in.
We were fortunate to find a home with a great view with a relatively level driveway. Both were criteria we looked for in our home search. It was a challenge, but we did not want this to be a factor in our retirement years. We’ve seen houses here with steep driveways going down to houses and steep driveways going up to houses. Our daughter and her family visited us in December and rented a house. It was the steepest driveway I’ve ever seen. Wasn’t sure our car would make it up there, but it did barely. They ended up having transmission problems and had to have their car towed.

Last edited by Lizap; 03-09-2021 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza899vt View Post
We currently have an offer in on a lovely home in Black Mtn up Rte 9 and then gravel for a couple of miles.....it ticked all the boxes, except of course now I am worrying about how does a moving van get up there.
Congratulations! it’s a beautiful area and Black Mountain is a cute little town.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Congratulations! it’s a beautiful area and Black Mountain is a cute little town.
Thank you! We aren't 100% yet, still waiting to see if our offer is accepted and inspections are all good too.

We really didn't want a drive like this one...okay I didn't... Hubby is fine....but the land, views and home were too enticing for us. Of course I only go out about twice a week, so that's a plus.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you! We aren't 100% yet, still waiting to see if our offer is accepted and inspections are all good too.

We really didn't want a drive like this one...okay I didn't... Hubby is fine....but the land, views and home were too enticing for us. Of course I only go out about twice a week, so that's a plus.
Just make sure you have the right kind of vehicle and factor in the days with ice and snow. This year we had a good bit of ice. You will need a plan as to how you will get out should you have an emergency. The owner of the house our daughter rented told her, because of the steepness of the driveway and drop offs on both sides, it was not possible to get in/out of the house if there was ice, and they would need to stay put until it melted. My guess is with the right vehicle you could probably get down,, but it’s not something I would want to tackle. Not trying to scare you, but you do need to be aware. Many retirees here just stock up and stay in until it melts.

Edit: I went back and read an earlier post and see you’ve lived in Vermont, so you’re likely use to living/driving in icy conditions.

Last edited by Lizap; 03-09-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Just make sure you have the right kind of vehicle and factor in the days with ice and snow. This year we had a good bit of ice. You will need a plan as to how you will get out should you have an emergency. The owner of the house our daughter rented told her, because of the steepness of the driveway and drop offs on both sides, it was not possible to get in/out of the house if there was ice, and they would need to stay put until it melted. My guess is with the right vehicle you could probably get down,, but it’s not something I would want to tackle. Not trying to scare you, but you do need to be aware. Many retirees here just stock up and stay in until it melts.

Edit: I went back and read an earlier post and see you’ve lived in Vermont, so you’re likely use to living/driving in icy conditions.
I appreciate the heads up. Yes, I lived rurally in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine....very used to snow and ice and staying put and not driving when roads are icy. We would likely get another Subaru AWD, had them in VT for decades. Maybe a heftier old truck with 4WD as well for carting stuff up.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the heads up. Yes, I lived rurally in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine....very used to snow and ice and staying put and not driving when roads are icy. We would likely get another Subaru AWD, had them in VT for decades. Maybe a heftier old truck with 4WD as well for carting stuff up.
You all are going to love living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. The four seasons, breathtaking mountain scenery, trees, birds, deer, turkey, other wildlife are all amazing..

Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,960,608 times
Quote:
We were fortunate to find a home with a great view with a relatively level driveway. Both were criteria we looked for in our home search. It was a challenge, but we did not want this to be a factor in our retirement years. We’ve seen houses here with steep driveways going down to houses and steep driveways going up to houses. Our daughter and her family visited us in December and rented a house. It was the steepest driveway I’ve ever seen. Wasn’t sure our car would make it up there, but it did barely. They ended up having transmission problems and had to have their car towed.
Our driveway isn’t steep. All roads to our home are paved. (That was one of our must haves, no gravel roads). We have a large flat parking area as well as large garage.

The problem with large trucks is it the many hairpin curves up the mountain to our community. There is a sign near the bottom explaining that the large trucks are prohibited. It is impossible to miss having flags sticking off two sides. Occasionally a trucker will ignore thinking they could take a shortcut. They never make it up. They have to be towed out. They end up with huge tickets from the sheriffs department.

Last edited by funisart; 03-09-2021 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: Spell

Old 03-09-2021, 12:42 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times
Quote:
...then gravel for a couple of miles.....it ticked all the boxes, except of course now I am worrying about how does a moving van get up there.
Dunno what kind of shape that couple miles of gravel is in, or will be in after Spring thaw, but as for usong a moving van: we had a very big 'straight truck' haul 20 yrs worth of stuff from our metro NY house to our western NC mtn house.

Very narrow, winding 'main' road up our mtn from town, and the last 100 yds is a single lane 'road', very curvy/tight that leads into our narrow driveway, including an almost blind rise from our 'road' into our driveway...that big 'straight' truck with a v skilled driver backed it in like he lived there. And, a remarkable amount of stuff can fit into a straight truck.

Or, a regular big moving van, with trailer and separate cab can be off loaded down the road and stuff delivered in small vans, but for more expense.
GL, mD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina