Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM

23 posts, read 78,326 times

Advertisements

My wife is about to relocate to Asheville, and I am looking for work in the area. Just wondering if I should be looking for work in Greenville, SC? If I found a job there would it practical for us to live somewhere between the two like Hendersonville? Google shows that as about a 30min drive for her, and an hour for me. My wife is moving into an apartment in June in Asheville, and if I did find work in G-ville, I'd be commuting from Asheville for a time, which google shows as about an 1 1/2 hour drive. Is that an accurate drive time..or is it more? Any info appreciated...thanx...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Depends on the time of day. For those not driving during rush hours it just over an hour, depending on what part of each town you are starting from going to. Rush hour/afternoons I26 often backs up during the summer, and especially Fridays to make the trip 2+ hours. Of course $4 -5 gas may change that.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM

114 posts, read 378,289 times
The trip from Asheville to Greenville in my experience is about 1 hr, 10 min or so. But as said above, it really depends on traffic. I26 can be nasty in Asheville at times. From Hendersonville proper the drive is no longer than 45 minutes.

Greenville and Asheville are both great towns. If you've only visited Asheville, and not Greenville you should take a trip down there. Greenville's downtown (main street area) is beautiful, walkable and has all sorts of diversified shops and resaurants. Great parks also make Greenville's downtown unique and fun - There is literally a waterfall and a suspended pedestrian bridge at one end of mainstreet. Having access to both Greenville and Asheville would be great.

Although, as noted above, gas prices are making situations such as this (commuting every day) a little more questionable. Maybe we should all check into public transportation . In any case, the drives aren't too bad and both cities are great.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM

...thanx for the info. Yes, I've heard good things about G-ville. Sounds like the commute would be doable...at least short term if I had to do it. I'm really just looking for anything that can get me in Asheville, so if it means taking a job in Gville then so be it...

Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 PM

114 posts, read 378,289 times
Side note: the drive down the 'blue wall' from henderson county down to the piedmont on Hwy 25 (best way to Greenville from Aville) is beeeautiful.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM

177 posts, read 971,416 times
One thing to keep in mind too is living in one state and working in another (especially the Carolina's) can make a big difference with your income taxes. I used to live in Marion, SC and worked in Raeford, NC, and only for a short period of time till I moved, and there was a pretty big "penalty" at tax time.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM

67 posts, read 349,053 times
Brevard is also a nice small town in between the two. It is an hour to Asheville and a hour to Greenville. I know people who commute to both.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM

32 posts, read 92,720 times
What kind of work are you looking for? Lots of manufacturing in Greenville, not so much in Asheville.

There is not a lot exactly in between the two, but if you like living in the country, you could probably find some nice land along Hwy 25. It is likely to increase in value with time too....

Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 AM

I IT/computer work...same with manufacturing...lots in G-ville, not so much in Atown...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times
An A 50 to 60-mile one-way commute is just long, and costly. I would hope to find something closer to your wife's job so that you can spend less time in your car and more time with your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina