Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

Looking at a map, it looks like Asheville is about 55 miles from Greenville, SC. My map is a few years out of date, however. What kind of roads are Rt 26 south of Asheville and then Rt 25 into Greenville? I'm asking since if I moved to the Asheville area, I would be likely driving to Greenville to go to Costco on a regular basis. Would this be a relatively easy drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 AM

113 posts, read 275,826 times
I think there's also a Costco in Spartanburg right off the Interstate 26. Depending on origination point, that one might be a little farther but easier and faster to get to.

As for the roads:
Both I-26 and US-25 are good roads. Both include significant elevation changes as you come "off the mountain", but neither should cause much concern (I remember your post re "least mountainous routes" a while back ).

I-26 is what you'd expect from any restricted access interstate route.

US-25 is mostly 4+ lanes with some restricted access in NC. It becomes a main thoroughfare as you get into the Greenville area and can feel a bit congested at peak times. Even then though, it moves along nicely - never had a problem.

Hope this helps,
Opt-Out

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Looking at a map, it looks like Asheville is about 55 miles from Greenville, SC. My map is a few years out of date, however. What kind of roads are Rt 26 south of Asheville and then Rt 25 into Greenville? I'm asking since if I moved to the Asheville area, I would be likely driving to Greenville to go to Costco on a regular basis. Would this be a relatively easy drive?

You may want to focus on residing in the foothills of "the upstate" of SC if you want and need access to Greenville and Spartanburg. There are some lovely areas between "Saluda NC" and Greenville or Spartanburg SC. As OptOut said, there is a significant elevation difference as you travel "down the mountain" to Greenville. You would not like the elevation drop believe me, it is steep and there are warnings on I-26 approaching the steep grade. On the way down the grade you get the odor of straining brakes of the 18 wheelers carrying their heavy loads. On the way back up the grade to Asheville, there will be several 18 wheelers (not your faves) going very slowly up the grade in the right lane, which causes many impatient drivers to race to pass them. On the other hand, the view going down the grade is spectacular on a clear day, and can be distracting. And you will not want to do it in the winter. There are some folks who live in Hendersonville and travel to to work at the BMW and the Michelin plants in Greenville .... and maybe there are a few who frequent this forum..

I believe the map states mileage from the "center" of Asheville to the "center" of Greenville, so it is most likely longer than 55 miles door to door. Rt. 25 is not an interstate per se, and it takes you into the City of Greenville. I've never been to Costco (don't think I'm missing anything actually), but you are probably looking at closer to 65 miles one way from your driveway to theirs.

Look into towns such as: Campobello SC, Inman SC, Tryon NC, Columbus NC, Landrum SC, Greer SC, Travelers Rest SC and so on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (Also check Google Earth, for a look at the topography and elevations.)

Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Driving from NC to SC via I-26, here is an excellent video of the drive down to Greenville/Spartanburg. At about the 4:00 mark on the video look ahead and to the right, you can see some of the expanse of view off to the right. The videographer makes notes on the screen as you travel ... the "drop" is noted at one point of 1,000 ft. in a few minutes. The view, of course, in the winter is directly over the guard rails to the right; but the trees interfere with the video view. It is definitely a thrill ride the first time you encounter the grade.

Hope this helps with a real time "view".

I-26 East: North Carolina to South Carolina - YouTube

This guy has an incredible amount of videos on his YouTube link, he is definitely an avid traveler. Kudos to "Freeway Jim".

Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 AM

679 posts, read 1,460,716 times
I'd echo what QC said. I always enjoy the drive down 25 to Greenville. There are some very pretty areas along that route. Mostly unspoiled, it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere, but somewhere is just a bit north and south. Depending on your tastes, it could be the best of both worlds.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:58 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Hwy 25 is a nice drive, but if you are going to Costco in Greenville, you're much better off going I-26 to I-85 to Woodruff Rd. It's longer mileage-wise, but you'll save time if that's important to you.

If you take US 25, once you get to Greenville proper, it's a case of "you can't get there from here" or rather a lot of congestion and convoluted routing which could be confusing if you are not familiar with Greenville.

However, Opt-Out is correct. There's a Costco in Spartanburg just off I-26. That location would definitely be preferable if you are coming from Asheville. Here is the link - Find a Costco warehouse

P.S. Until recently, I lived in Greenville for 5 years just off Pelham Rd and I-85. I frequently drove back and forth to Asheville during that time. Depending on day of the week and time of day, I alternately drove I-85/I-26, and US 25/I-26. Both routes have their advantages.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Or, the OP could do the Sam's Club in A'ville, and hit the SC Costco store occasionally.

I realize that Costco fans look at Sam's Clubs as low rent, but for the little 'warehouse' shopping we do, in both western NC and SW FL, I can hardly tell the difference between the two esp 'in store' vs the slightly more pretentious Costco online version.

I understand there are diehard fans of these joints, but I never got excited over a 10 gal jar of pickles or a 55 gal drum of olive oil. Everyone has their own bag...

On another note, I have driven our cars and ridden my motorcycles down that route several times, but I never noticed the 'scary parts', or even the parts to be concerned, with on those route(s).
GL, mD

Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM

474 posts, read 839,787 times
For those of you wanting a good reason to shop Costco -- your drugs don't cost as much.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Spartanburg, South Carolina has a Costco also, located behind Westgate Mall. Going down I-26 to Spartanburg may be more direct and accessible than using US-25 to get over to Greenville.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Yes, I had a recent thread about mountainous routes to Asheville....... I'm sure I'd be ok once I got used to the drive from Asheville to Spartanburg or Greenville, as long as there were guardrails along the way.

The issue of Costco is interesting. They recently opened a store here in SE Michigan not too far from where I live, and there are a few items I do enjoy purchasing there (their cheese department is well-priced with many options, for example), but perhaps not enough to warrant over 100 mile round trips to any Costco anywhere. I can give up Costco as long as there are good food shopping options locally. As a solo retiree, I don't purchase large quantities of items other than paper products or the 2 liter bottle of olive oil (though it is the same price as Trader Joe's 1 liter bottle x 2). The gas for a trip to Costco over 55 miles away may negate any savings on the purchases anyway.

So, I guess the real question is whether there are good local food shopping options in Asheville. Anyone care to chime in? I see there is a Trader Joe's in Asheville, so that's a good start.

Living in the lower elevation areas of NC would likely be too hot for me in the summer, which is part of the appeal of Asheville, more moderate summer weather (at least not weeks on end of high 90's and 100's).

Thanks again for all the good info and suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina