Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Asheville or Greenville for my career?
AVL 11 31.43%
G'ville 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,957,872 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I live in the Asheville area, and like it. Went to college up here and moved back up here recently.

I have my general contractors license and right now, I work for a builder. Not self-employed yet.

My question is, for me, wanting to work for myself in the next 3-5 yrs doing new construction (3-6 houses a yr), some renovating, and additions, etc... what do you feel would be better for my career? Do you see Asheville or Greenville having better opportunities? I know construction is tough right now, I'm in it, and I see how difficult it is. But things will pick up eventually. In fact, I know a builder (big builder) who sold 23 homes last month. So people are buying if the price is right and it's of great quality. Thanks for any and all opinions. I'm posting this on the G'ville forum too to ask the same question if that's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 PM

765 posts, read 2,571,957 times
Common sense would suggest that you are the best person to answer this question. In your position you should know the growth potential of each area and also know which place you would prefer to live. If not then gt thee down to Greenville for a few days and do some research there and also see if its the kind of town you like. Good luck

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM

We like Greenville, as I metioned. The tough part is not spending much time in either city since college. So although I like both areas, I'm not sure which has the best long-term growth potential. I dont see any charts or patterns at work, all I see is dirt and lumber, etc.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 AM

76 views and only 4 votes?!? C'mon guys, just pick which one you think has the best potential for growth. I see Asheville continuing to attract retirees, and I see G'ville doing the same, as well as younger families relocating for work, etc.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM

765 posts, read 2,571,957 times
OK, why not check with the chamber of commerce, better business bureau, and the local real estate gurus in each area to get a fix on future trends in growth. It's just my personal impression but I would think Greenville has a better chance at more growth since the economy is not heavily based on tourism like Asheville. With the economic conditions as they are and not looking to improve rapidly the second home industry in Buncombe doesn't look bright. The stock market has stalled and with it the 401Ks and IRAs of potential retirees so don't plan on a lot of them flocking in anytime soon. Many of the homes that were for sale a year ago are still on the market anyway. My question is if you have a job now are you ready to quit it and take a chance on a recovery in either area or will you just sit tight and get your ducks in a row for when the recovery heats up? Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:18 AM

^^^Yea, I'm going to sit tight and wait til we get some recovery before I jump into anything. Like I said in my initial post, I am looking at 3-5 yrs before I am self employed.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 PM

thx for voting!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM

Thx for the votes thus far everyone... Greenville is winning quite easily on the G'ville forum. I kind of expected that, but I see that Asheville does have a few votes here. I really like Asheville, it'd make sense to be here. But I do like Greenville quite a bit as well. I'm curious - those who voted for AVL - why one would think AVL is a better choice than Greenville.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,599,478 times
They just revitalized Downtown Greenville SC, Alot of new industry in the area.
Asheville is more of a snowbird retiring crowd that is catering for retirement of such.

Taxes & gas is cheaper on the SC side Good Luck & wish you the best.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM

451 posts, read 1,567,670 times
I love Asheville, my Father's family is from there, but Greenville has some major corporations. Asheville has a large Veteran's Hospital, but almost everything is service industry in Asheville. Locals complain that there are not the opportunities for high paying jobs. My brother felt lucky he worked for the Post Office until he retired. That is why I voted for Greenville. Also, it is a really neat town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina