Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 PM

10 posts, read 87,478 times

Advertisements

Young single mom with four year, I really want to move to
Asheville for that lifestyle but there seems to be high
Living cost with no jobs. Maybe Greenville had better jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
I lived in Asheville for six years, and now the Greenville area for the last seven months. Unemployment is higher in SC (not sure about the GSP area itself), but there are better jobs down here, if you can get one. I wouldn't move either place without already having a job first. The cost of living is definitely lower in Greenville.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:42 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times
Two very different places. Greenville is much more suburban, and Asheville is . . . well, Asheville.

The unemployment picture stinks just about everywhere, so unless you have a significant amount of money to get you by for possibly many months, I agree with the others about not moving without a job lined up (that seems like generally good advice in all conditions, really).

It also depends on what kind of job you are looking for. Greenville certainly has more office type jobs (not sure if Michelin is still the biggest employer in Greenville), while Asheville's strengths are tourism/service industry and health care.

These are just generalizations, of course.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I agree with the others about not moving without a job lined up (that seems like generally good advice in all conditions, really).
That has always been sage advise for moving to Asheville, don't come without a job, or deep pockets.

Greenville is going to have a lower cost of living, and while things are tough everywhere now, I would favor the opportunities in Greenville over Asheville as the economy is much more diverse, i.e. not dependent solely on tourism.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times
To me, there are cities like Greenville around, but Asheville is truly unique. The price is the higher cost of living. I'd rather live in a decent house in AVL than a really nice place in Greenville. To me the surroundings make it worth the sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina