Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:11 PM

30 posts, read 56,597 times

Advertisements

Hi all ! I know this looks like my first post, but I just had to make a new login because I forgot my old one

Anyway, my husband and I planned our 7th anniversary trip, March 25-31 this year and are now realizing we are clueless to mountain driving! I considered canceling and going somewhere closer to home, but then decided we should do this because I do enjoy mountains (from memories as a kid up in grandfather mtn and caverns...) and would love a new experience with my husband.

We will be driving up to Savannah, GA for one night from Brevard County, Florida (just south of Orlando. This will be about a 4 hour drive for us). From there, we will make the 4-5 hour (mapquest estimated..) trip up to Asheville. On our way home, we will once more stop over in Savannah for one night before coming home on the 31st.

Is there anyone who can advise us on what it is actually like to make this drive? For example, is the road windy/curvy, is it steep, what should we know about driving down elevation?
I have googled and looked for youtube videos, but most info I see is about going to Asheville from northern states, or Atlanta, which is not the same way we would be coming from...

We are staying in a hotel on Tunnel Road in Asheville.... We plan to visit the Biltmore and wander around downtown (we love checking out DT areas of new places!).

ALSO - can anyone offer insight into what the drive would be like from Asheville up to Grandfather mountain and Linville Caverns? I heard this road is steep and very curvy, so if so we may not do this drive.

Finally, I'd love some insight to the "typical" weather at this time of year in Asheville. Of course I've checked online and the average information says anywhere from 40s - mid 60s temp range (which is beautiful compared to the 80s we typically have here at the end of March!). I just want to pack appropriately. I know that on the mountains the weather can vary, so please, I am just looking for some typical or averages, maybe based off of last year or the year before from some locals....

Speaking of locals - is there anything else up there we should definitely not miss? We are hoping to do some hiking / trails (not too extreme.. we are "flatlanders"! lol) along with our sightseeing. Would it be too cold to consider rafting of any sort?

Thank you in advance for answers and input... My last mtn. experience in recent years was a ski trip to W.Va (where I broke my knee!) and the ride was very stressful with the steep and winding turns and lack of guardrails. I do remember the blue ridge parkway portion of the trip was relaxing and the road was multi-lane like I am used to down here, with some ups and downs similar to Atlanta ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
From FL to Asheville via I26, there are about 10 miles that could be considered mountainous driving, but only by flat-landers, but it is on the interstate and the rest is basically flat. Our interstates are up to national standards, and with guardrails, center median and barriers there is virtually no place you could drive off the mountain, even if you wanted to.

Now if you want some white knuckle roads that will challenge your bladder control, I can give you some alternate routes to take.

There is no place on the Blue Ridge Parkway that is multi lane, it is a 2 lane road with a maximum speed limit of 45 MPH or less for its entire length.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2016 View Post
I do remember the blue ridge parkway portion of the trip was relaxing and the road was multi-lane like I am used to down here, with some ups and downs similar to Atlanta ...
You weren't on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

End of March? I wouldn't count on rafting. Just casually looking at one of the sites Rafting NC : Home The calendars show no availability. It will just be too cold.

Grandfather Mountain and Linville? Again, at that time of the year, weather will be a factor in how your visit goes. Temps show average high of low 50s, low temps will be around freezing. They'll be operating on winter hours as well, so you might not get to have that long a visit.

There's plenty to do around Asheville. Biltmore will take a day, shopping and exploring another.
Explore Asheville | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Take the Blue Ridge Parkway north to the Folk Art Center and then up to Mt Mitchell (highest peak east of the Mississippi)
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi.../blrimap-2.pdf
You'll get some hiking in, making your way to the very top, though keep in mind that this will be a mile+ up in elevation. You may feel a negative impact from being higher up than you are used to. And it will likely be cold.

As far as the mountain driving, just show common sense. Put your electronic devices away, pay attention to the speed limits and be aware that those who live in the area might drive "crazy," in your estimation. They are just used to the roads. If you get on the BRP, the speed limit is 45. On the sections around Asheville, some of the numbnuts use the road as a way of getting around town, driving faster than the limit (watch for the cops who are waiting for them). Heading north on that road, depending on the weather, the first 10 miles or so outside of the city show heavier use by joggers and bicyclists.

The dread of mountain roads is worse than the actual experience. I'm a native Midwesterner and remember the first time driving from St Louis to NC. You should be fine

Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM

47 posts, read 143,680 times
I drove it once, long ago, lol. You will take I-26 once you get past Columbia, SC. I-26 is not bad. I used to drive it about every 2 weeks when I had first moved to Camden, SC and came back to NC to visit. I would have to say the worst part is before coming into NC, the highway is more winding and inclined. Be careful of the deer that may be on the side of the road is you come through early morning or evening. Once you get up the mountain it is pretty flat. Driving down elevation, you should put your car in low gear, I shift between 1 and 2 and sometimes 3 (you will need it when going back down the mountain from Grandfather Mtn).

The weather here is awful, because it seems that it can never make up it's mind. We have one day in to 60's and then two days later or even the next day it in the 20's or 30's. Sunday was a pretty nice day in the low 60's and by Tues. we had snow. I would pack for the 60's, but bring a few things if it gets colder, just in case.

Where on Tunnel RD are you staying, if you want you can private message me. DWTN is nice to walk around and there are some new Breweries that have opened up. I have not tried them yet. I want to check out Wicked Weed. It seems good as the few times I have passed by they seem to be busy.

The Biltmore is nice, you don't need a ticket just to be on the grounds or to eat there, but you do need it to tour the house. There are some hiking trails right there at the Biltmore. We have walked a few, they are not bad. If you plan to eat there, the Stables is probably the cheapest. Cedric's is suppose to be like a pub, but it is pricey (I worked there). There are couple of little shops next to The Stables restaurant.

I don't there is Rafting in March. I believe it opens in April or May. Chimney Rock is nice and parts of The Last of the Mohicans was filmed there. They have different trails depending on how extreme you want to be. We took my kids (ages 11, 7 and newborn at the time). I may have some picture if you want to see them. You have Cherokee you can visit as well. It's about an hour away. Depending on how much time you will be here Gatlinburg/Pigon Forge is about 2 hours away and nice to see.

Barley's Taproom (DWTN) has good pizza and you can order by slice, Cheese pizza is $2.00 a slice and it's pretty big, plush they have some good beer on tap there as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:19 PM

30 posts, read 56,597 times
https://www.bookonthenet.net/west/Xk..._id=1006080022 This place does rafting in march....

Also, yea I guess I was not on BRP LOL, but i DO know I was on it when I was a kid w/ parents

Thanks so much for the input ! I am feeling a lot better about this trip now !

And, Sierra2Caden, we are staying at the Homewood Suites on Tunnel rd

Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
March can be really iffy weather wise and change quickly. Be sure to pack a warm jacket, gloves, hat just in case. Keep a close check on weather before you head this way. But it could be spring and lovely. Parkway is closed at the Ox Creek Rd exit north of Asheville but you can go that far then head downhill into Weaverville a lovely little town with shops and good restaurants but Ox Creek Rd is winding lots of curves. So much to do in Asheville you will not be bored and hiking trails are just off the Parkway and at Richmond Hill Park. If you find yourself on a curvey road going very slow find a safe place to pull over and let people pass. Have a great time!

pull over and let the locals pass. Have a great visit!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Oops sorry about the dangling sentence at the end.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
If you are going to stay in the Asheville area you may want to explore Highway 64 and the waterfalls in that area and leave Grandfather mountain and Linville Falls for another trip to the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Just a suggestion. You may also want to check to see when the parkway opens. You can drive it any time but it is really not a good idea to go on a road that is closed for the winter. Asheville should keep you busy. Then there is Cherokee, Lake Lure, Batcave, etc.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/waterfalls.htm or do your own search for North Carolina Waterfalls. We stayed in Sapphire Valley and spent about a week on the parkway and visiting waterfalls. You can also do gem hunting. You will never run out of things to do in the Asheville area. The same is true for Boone/Blowing Rock area but they are almost 100 miles apart.

We traveled from Asheville to NC Highway 16 one day on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping at all the overlooks and enjoying the areas took us all day. You don't want to miss Mt. Mitchell, highest point in Eastern America. We were so glad our parents lived off NC 16 and we didn't want to travel back to Asheville for the night.

As for your trip from Florida to Asheville, it is interstate all the way if you come up I-95 to I-26. Pretty uneventful.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

http://www.extraholidays.com/lake-lu...x#things-to-do

We own a timeshare and the extraholidays.com is part of our system. Each location gives ideas of things to do. I have found this for you in the Asheville area. You can also look under Sapphire Valley too. Both are in the Asheville area.

http://www.extraholidays.com/sapphir....aspx#navigate

With North Carolina and weather you never can tell but I like to travel the parkway on Mother's Day and around October 10-15. Just my preference.

Last edited by NCN; 01-29-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:50 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
You asked about driving. Most of your route will be interstate but depending upon where you go you may take a curvy road to get there. It really isn't too fearful.

On the curvy roads

ease up on the gas as you go into the curve then slightly accelerate as you pull out of the curve.

limit your use of brakes by how you use the gas pedal.

stay on your side of the road, that is don't cross over the center lane & keep your eyes watching for the drivers coming toward you who may cross the line

pull over only on paved or graveled pull offs if other cars are riding your bumper. just take your time and enjoy the ride. Do NOT pull over on anything not marked as a pull off - heavy cars can slide

at dusk and dawn keep your eyes open for animals crossing the road

weather

March is an extreme month in like a lion etc. so plan for bad weather

Have a nice time and enjoy

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 AM

408 posts, read 607,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2016 View Post

ALSO - can anyone offer insight into what the drive would be like from Asheville up to Grandfather mountain and Linville Caverns? I heard this road is steep and very curvy, so if so we may not do this drive.

Finally, I'd love some insight to the "typical" weather at this time of year in Asheville. Of course I've checked online and the average information says anywhere from 40s - mid 60s temp range (which is beautiful compared to the 80s we typically have here at the end of March!). I just want to pack appropriately. I know that on the mountains the weather can vary, so please, I am just looking for some typical or averages, maybe based off of last year or the year before from some locals....
Reading your post makes it sound like you're referring to Mount Everest.

"we're flatlanders". Lol sounds like a some kind of handicap. I think you're overdoing the higher / lower elevation dichotomy here.

Besides, it's never too late to become an adventurous type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina