Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,421 times

Advertisements

There was very little difference in our power bill between travelers rest and here with similar sized homes and both being heat pumps. Both were duke but let's be inefficient as possible and because this area used to be progress, it's now "duke progress" and no your 3+ years of on time payments to duke mean nothing to duke progress and we are going to charge you an exuberant security deposit again. Ugh. Didn't see that scam coming.

Furthermore when we signed up we were never told when the security deposit was due. We just assumed a bill would come since it was never said. Less then 5days after having the power transferred a guy shows up trying to disconnect it. The NC utility commission was worthless (and upon research we found its staffed by ex-duke employees eye roll). The lady pulled my husband's convo with duke, acknowledged they never said a date but said we "should have known". So fing frustrating. Duke "kindly" refunded our "online rush fee" to prevent them from cutting the power but I still can't get over the scams these people pull. And yikes... I forgot how angry that whole situation made me. Sorry about the rant. Ha.

Our water in Asheville is a heck of a lot more though. We payed ~$15/month in Greenville and are paying ~$65+ here. Car taxes are about the same although my mom gave me a car she had registered in wake co NC and we are paying at least $20 more for here. Both were in county limits not city. Didn't see that one coming.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 10-12-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
...and we are going to charge you an exuberant security deposit...
An exciting security deposit?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Both exciting and exorbitant.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The difference in 'costs' could be made up on air conditioning and utilities in the Greenville SC area. It's hot and humid 'down south' there.
Yup! I was only in the Upstate for a week, but it was in late July. It was unbearably hot & humid in Greenville, although I thought the downtown area was very nice. Definitely a nice city to visit and spend a day. If I'm not mistaken, the week I visited was the hottest on record, so I want to be fair. I have to admit, however, I enjoyed driving on the flatter roads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina