Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM

30 posts, read 56,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Uhhh, DG ... the OP's post was from January of this year. He never got back to us, whether he ventured out of the FL flatlands or not.
Back to you! Sorry, man this is what, almost 2 years old?! btw, I'm a she, not a he , but I know you have no way of knowing that

So, we made it to Asheville as planned. It was amazing. Overcast and cold - just what us Floridians needed! However, we realized that the steep hills in just neighborhoods would not work for us longterm, and figured AVL is a great place to visit, but not for us to move to. Our car did fine, even as we came down Grandfather mtn. when it was too foggy to see anything up there... I made my husband pull over and let me see snow and he stopped very suddenly, but all was fine. Linville caverns was just as i remembered it..I loved reliving childhood! We arrived about 3 days after the last snow, and had some patches on the ground at the Homewood Suites on Tunnel rd. we stayed at.

The following march, we went up to greenville, SC and enjoyed that as well. The drive up to some of the higher elevations there was a little tricky in our van (versus a touring-model car for Asheville), but we had a great time.

Planning another upstate SC trip with a day-trip into Asheville next March/April. I appreciate the comments everyone, even though this is old...I had forgotten my login and lacked the desire to figure it out til recently lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,940,702 times
GVL will be better for you than AVL as far as jobs goes, if you're working.

GVL doesnt pay great either, but better than AVL, and cheaper too.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,197,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
GVL will be better for you than AVL as far as jobs goes, if you're working.

GVL doesnt pay great either, but better than AVL, and cheaper too.
Sometimes it's not how much you make, but how much you get to keep.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Sometimes it's not how much you make, but how much you get to keep.

yup! thats true.

a little easier to do in GVL due to the lower costs of housing, etc.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
The difference in 'costs' could be made up on air conditioning and utilities in the Greenville SC area. It's hot and humid 'down south' there.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:45 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,605,546 times
Quote:
The difference in 'costs' could be made up on air conditioning and utilities in the Greenville SC area
I doubt that. AC could be a bit more (depends on shade trees) Heating may be a lot less. Heat pumps can be very efficient when there's a small temperature differential.

Unless you are saying Greenville has extremely high electric rates.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I doubt that. AC could be a bit more (depends on shade trees) Heating may be a lot less. Heat pumps can be very efficient when there's a small temperature differential.

Unless you are saying Greenville has extremely high electric rates.

You would have to keep your a/c temp in the summer higher; similar to FL heat and humidity. For the first few months I lived in my 1300 sf. FL condo, in the summer I was keeping it at 72/73 degs. and all ceiling fans circulating the air. I was on the shady side of a lake. First FLP bill was over $200. I soon learned to keep it at 79 per FLP and only the fan in the room you're in. Bill went down $145 a month year 'round for power.

It would be interesting to learn how much people in the Greenville or even Charlotte area pay for power, maybe they have Duke? like we have here in parts of the mtns. I find it very reasonable here.

Driving south to I-85 you can feel the difference in temps just about when you get into Traveler's Rest. Very nice drive in the fall though from Asheville. I have never used the I-75 route through or around Atlanta to get to SW FL.

What is the best route if you're going to get I-95 to SE FL, over I-26 down and picking up I-95 to the east coast of FL? I will need a 'beach fix' by Feb.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,623,019 times
QC/B,
We have come north from the east side of FL several times, after seeing good friends in Daytona...
We have always taken this route, (we do it reversed, going north).

I arbitrarily plugged in H'ville to Ft Laud, but for anywhere on east side of FL peninsula, this is the way to go, imo.

https://goo.gl/maps/SKC7Yd55bFH2

GL, mD

Old 10-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks, MD, that's pretty much what I thought. I may get out of Dodge for an escape to visit friends on both coasts this winter. Yessirreee.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You would have to keep your a/c temp in the summer higher; similar to FL heat and humidity. For the first few months I lived in my 1300 sf. FL condo, in the summer I was keeping it at 72/73 degs. and all ceiling fans circulating the air. I was on the shady side of a lake. First FLP bill was over $200. I soon learned to keep it at 79 per FLP and only the fan in the room you're in. Bill went down $145 a month year 'round for power.

It would be interesting to learn how much people in the Greenville or even Charlotte area pay for power, maybe they have Duke? like we have here in parts of the mtns. I find it very reasonable here.

Driving south to I-85 you can feel the difference in temps just about when you get into Traveler's Rest. Very nice drive in the fall though from Asheville. I have never used the I-75 route through or around Atlanta to get to SW FL.

What is the best route if you're going to get I-95 to SE FL, over I-26 down and picking up I-95 to the east coast of FL? I will need a 'beach fix' by Feb.
straight shot, 26 to 95S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina