Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:16 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times

Advertisements

Detailed crime statistics and other stastistics of interest, courtesy of the City-Data website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Hey, and don't forget about the crips and the bloods:

BlogAsheville: Interview With A Gang Member

Unfortunately, blue and red are my two favorites colors, which makes wardrobe decisions awfully difficult on a daily basis. You can bet I'll never do the crip walk through Pisgah View at night though (there go my Saturday nights).

Asheville even has a two-person gang suppression unit.

Asheville North Carolina

I'd recommend a bullet-proof vest while walking around town after 9:00 pm.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM

29 posts, read 80,251 times
Yes, while crime stats are a facet in my decision making, I understand reality vs statistics. Hell if you look at the stats of where I live now (in the examples I posted) one would think we actually see and/or experience this crime every day but of course, that isn't the case and I imagine the same for Asheville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Yes on a per capita basis Asheville has more crime than many areas. However, you should also take a look a the crime map on the police dept website and you'll see that most of the crime is in or near certain areas often known as "the projects" or along corridors adjacent to shelters. For such a small city Asheville has a lot of these (5 or 6) as well as a fairly large itinerant homeless/jobless population that make the shelters downtown home. So you learn where the projects are and avoid them. You learn where the shelters are and avoid them. If you see a street near downtown with beer cans and wine bottles laying around you avoid it--and don't park your car there. When I lived in NOVA I didn't go to DC and park my car in Anacostia or or SE either. It just take s a little common sense--

PS--as one of our regulars has said before the Asheville Citizen Times is worth little more than lining the bottom of bird cages. They just report the facts and often get them wrong.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 77,808 times
It was the same when we lived in Puerto Rico. You would think they were the murder capital of the world, but it was almost all drug-related or gang-related and usually restricted to certain areas, i.e. the projects.

Is there a better newspaper than the Citizen-Times for the area?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 53,498 times
So...if one were looking at houses what areas are considered "projects" and should be avoided? I am finding a lot of great houses in waynesville, west, north, and south asheville, black mountain and hendersonville. I have no background with the area so i could use a little guidance. In Atlanta where I live and am from, you can find some really great deals...until you discover the neighborhood they are in. Can I get some names? Perhaps parts of town to avoid? No one has answered the thread I started so I believe I'm back into jumping on other people's who are getting some. (Answers that is) And to whoever said you could get more accurate reporting from The Onion...fantastic!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Well, there are 2 in West Asheville--Pisgah View Apts and Deaver View Apts, Klondyke at the end of Montford Ave, then there's Lee Walker Hts down near Misson Hospital on the west side of Biltmore Ave and Hillcrest on the east side of the river next to I26.

North Asheville is a pretty nice area with expensive homes so I'm not sure where you're looking there.

S. Asheville is a rpetty nebulous term since it can mean anything from about Mission Hospital south and some people would include Arden as a general locale. There are some moderately priced homes in Oakley and the area on the east side of Hendersonville Rd across from Biltmore Forest.

East Asheville is from about Kenilworth over to Oteen, Haw Creek, Beverly Hills, and possibly even the Riceville area just outside the city limits all with reasonable to expensive homes depending on the neighborhood. One thing you'll find interesting is that outside of the city limits you'll find $500+K homes right next to single and double wides and everything in between so you can find a wide range of prices there. Swananoa and Black Mtn also fit into this general description as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 AM

14 posts, read 53,498 times
Thank You! Any places particularly good for children? We have a 2 and 1/2 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina