Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 AM

191 posts, read 665,947 times

Advertisements

Please tell me where I can find reliable info. on crime data in Asheville. I finally decided that I want to move there based on the pictures and websites and many people who visited and said how beautiful it is but now I looked up some crime data and it seems the rates are high for both violent and property crime.

Can someone tell me why that is and also if you know of current websites that differ in the information. I was not able to get the crime mapping site to work for me either.

I just want to move somewhere safe as well as beautiful.

Thank you

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 AM

158 posts, read 158,531 times
Overall, it's safe. I wouldnt worry about crime in Asheville, unless it has changed drastically in the last few yrs, which I doubt.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Overall it is pretty safe, though the crime rate in Asheville is above the state average, and there are parts of town where overall you won't catch me there after dark.

The OP asked for specific information and was presented with a worthless comment.

For real information about crime and where it is occurring in Asheville try mapAsheville - Crime Mapper

Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 PM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
Thanks.............
I just clicked on the link and it actually worked this time.
mapAsheville - Crime Mapper...............
The realtor I just got off the phone with mentioned haw creek so I used that area and it shows quite a few burglaries................what area do you who live there feel is the safest for a single family home. I have a child and an elderly mother so safety is important. I also have nice STUFF , that I dont want stollen. I dont want to be parenoid just educated.

Thanks
Debbie

ps do most people there have guns?

Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 AM

21 posts, read 59,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Thanks.............
I just clicked on the link and it actually worked this time.
mapAsheville - Crime Mapper...............
The realtor I just got off the phone with mentioned haw creek so I used that area and it shows quite a few burglaries................what area do you who live there feel is the safest for a single family home. I have a child and an elderly mother so safety is important. I also have nice STUFF , that I dont want stollen. I dont want to be parenoid just educated.

Thanks
Debbie

ps do most people there have guns?
Who knows about guns? Asheville is no more or less dangerous than a lot of small cities. Cities have poor people, the economy sucks so we've seen an increase in money motivated crimes but this is not the wild west. If you have concerns about living in the city then look at outlying areas. South toward Hendersonville there are communities like Arden, Fletcher and Hendersonville itself. Weaverville north, Black Mountain on the east are nice.
Hawk Creek and other areas on the East side have nice neighborhoods with older homes. Live there a year myself and found no problems with crime.

As for safe, forget about it, nobody is safe anywhere from potential criminals out to make an easy buck. Best bet for my money is a development with lots of homes around the same price range. Thing is, if you are conspicuous about your "nice things" then you make yourself a target and it's best to find a locale where everybody has "nice things" then you reduce your visibility and thus your chances to get robbed. When in doubt have a good security system installed and don't go walking around after dark.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,774 times
If you're that concerned then look for a house in a gated community--that should keep most of the rif-raf out. Also, there are things that you as a home owner can do to help prevent breakins--keep shrubbery trimmed down near the house, use adequate deadbolt door locks, provide good outdoor lighting with a movement detector, and become active in your citizens watch group or start one if it doesn't already exist. I'm sure the local police can suggest other tricks as well.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Gated communities are a false sense of security. You do remember the man that was beaten and eventually died in the gated community in Henderson county several months ago?

Fortunately Asheville City Council has banned the development of any future gated communities in the city and EJD. Neighborhoods and community are not built by cloisters of people that sequester themselves in such communities.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Dear First Time,
If the ONLY thing you are looking for is a safe location, the crime map should help you out that Native supplied you. But if you are looking for a mix of options, keep in mind there are so many different neighborhoods all over town, costs vary widely, convenience to work or school can differ, lots of variety exists in Asheville. You mentioned Haw Creek, and that's okay, sort of "country" in feel, but Beverly Hills is also on the East side of town and more like a suburb, somewhat similar in price range. A number of neighborhoods North of town are good, just stay a few blocks away from the freeway. Places referenced here like Arden and Skyland are rather a long drive up a busy road to town, but you can find some good prices. So, you need to narrow down some of your preferences in cost and lifestyle choices, so your realtor will know what places to show you when you visit, that will at least come close to what you want. He should also be somewhat familiar with the safety factor of the area surrounding the homes he picks out for you. GG

Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,661 times
wow don't go out after dark???? was is this compton? random victimization is extremely rare on people. Burglaries maybe but thats only stuff and get a dog that will bark, thats way more of a deterent than an alarm. The idea of gated communities keeping out the"rif raf" is ridiculous. dont you think people know your gated community house cost more so you have more and its likely you arent there six months a year. I have never once felt personally unsafe anywhere in asheville, 2 am or not. Just dont walk down dark allies alone. Its fear that makes people change there lives.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM

36 posts, read 93,359 times
We have lived in Haw Creek for 20 years. Never any problems with property crime for ourselves. Once, one of our neighbors had some power tools stolen from his shed. When we decided to downsize four years ago, we actively searched for a smaller house in Haw Creek because we love the location so much. Raised our girls here from elementary school age to adults. Our 8 year old grandson & one daughter still live in Haw Creek.

There's crime everywhere but overall, I'd say I've always felt very safe in Haw Creek. We've always locked our doors but that's more because it's the way I was raised...mom always said not to invite trouble in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina