Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,095,120 times

Advertisements

Honestly truly, when I got married, all I wanted was for guests to come and help me celebrate. I didn't register anywhere, and did not expect gifts. Of course, we got some, and we got lots of envelopes of money, but in my mind, it was all a happy surprise, and I was grateful for everyone's generosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,892,411 times
I got married almost 50 years ago. At that time, in my group, the only person you got money from as a wedding present would usually be a rich old uncle or someone like that. Everyone else gave you a present. It could be lavish, it could be simple, and it could be deliberately insulting. I received everything from a single pillow case, to a stained tablecloth (given deliberately as an insult because I was "used goods"....I had been engaged before and apparently that made me the ***** of Babylon), to very nice gifts.

A wedding invitation I received a few years ago stated on a little card inserted in the invitation that the bride and groom didn't want "presents". Instead they asked for cash or gift cards (and the preferred gift cards were listed). They'd prefer not to have checks. Apparently their honeymoon was going to be financed by the amount of money they received, so checks would have just slowed them down....

Frankly, with so many brides and grooms living together for several years before they marry, I wouldn't even want to have to try to figure out a "present" to give them, even if they are registered. I'd much rather give them money and let them get what they want. What I don't like, however, is being "told" to give them money. In the state I used to live in, that was called "cover the plate". Now, how one was supposed to find out how much the "plate" costs, I don't know. I figure $100 per guest is a sufficient number, depending on how close the happy couple are to you. If they spend more than that on each meal, then more fool them.

Emily Post must be turning in her grave.....

Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,115,836 times
In this story, I think both bride and guests were rude. But what I don't understand is why the guest even attended the wedding. He apparently didn't know the brides very well and didn't even have their e-mails. This might've been the source of all misunderstanding.

But it is rude and inconsiderate for a guest to come to an expensive wedding with a date and bring maybe a gift in a $50-$70 range. We could assume that the guest was not in any financial hardship as this was not mentioned... In this day and age, most big stores issue a gift receipt that allows the recipient of the gift to return it, if necessary. I think it is good manners for the guest to include that as part of their gift.

But of course bride was out of line as well. It is OK to politely ask if there is a gift receipt available. It is not polite and downright offensive to complain about the gift...

Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM

131,393 posts, read 12,298,153 times
I think it was a nice, thoughtful gift. If they want gifts to cover the plates, then plan a picnic in the park. Very rude & tacky, & I hate the gluten free lie part, it really does a discredit to those who ate genuinely gluten intolerant/allergic.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,095,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
In this story, I think both bride and guests were rude. But what I don't understand is why the guest even attended the wedding. He apparently didn't know the brides very well and didn't even have their e-mails. This might've been the source of all misunderstanding.

But it is rude and inconsiderate for a guest to come to an expensive wedding with a date and bring maybe a gift in a $50-$70 range. We could assume that the guest was not in any financial hardship as this was not mentioned... In this day and age, most big stores issue a gift receipt that allows the recipient of the gift to return it, if necessary. I think it is good manners for the guest to include that as part of their gift.

But of course bride was out of line as well. It is OK to politely ask if there is a gift receipt available. It is not polite and downright offensive to complain about the gift...

I'm kind of gobsmacked at this. If someone is an invited GUEST, why is it rude to only give a gift in the $50 to $75 range? For one thing, the guest presumably didn't have a say in how expensive the wedding was going to be.

Second, if I invited someone to my home for a meal, I don't expect them to give me a gift or money for the honor of my company. I think it's a lovely gesture if they want to bring flowers or something...but not expected. Why would I have that expectation at my wedding?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,449,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm kind of gobsmacked at this. If someone is an invited GUEST, why is it rude to only give a gift in the $50 to $75 range? For one thing, the guest presumably didn't have a say in how expensive the wedding was going to be.

Second, if I invited someone to my home for a meal, I don't expect them to give me a gift or money for the honor of my company. I think it's a lovely gesture if they want to bring flowers or something...but not expected. Why would I have that expectation at my wedding?
Because weddings are way more expensive than an at-home dinner.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,469,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
No kidding!

I mean, if you want me to cover the cost of my meal, let me know how much it is so I can figure out if I can afford to come or not.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:28 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,183,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Because weddings are way more expensive than an at-home dinner.
Hosting is hosting is hosting. Period. It's a social function, not a transaction. HOST the type of wedding you can afford, without shaking down your guests. .

Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,541,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Hosting is hosting is hosting. Period. It's a social function, not a transaction. HOST the type of wedding you can afford, without shaking down your guests. .
Yes this.

A gift is just that: a gift. It is not meant to be payment for a night of food and entertainment selected by someone else. It does seem to be a common misconception I see more often from posters in the NY/NJ area. It may be customary there but it has nothing to do with etiquette.

Per Lizzie Post (great great granddaughter to Emily Post):

Quote:
..by throwing a wedding, the host is saying:
" I'm having this monumental moment in my life. Please come celebrate with me. " The guests are going to want to say thank you for that party; that thank you can be in words," Post says. The gift is not your thank you for being invited. "The gift is your way of saying: 'Congratulations. You're special to me.' "
"...

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-21-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 AM

46 posts, read 53,469 times
I think the bride was extremely rude. To ask for a receipt for the gift was appalling.
I once had a cousin who had her wedding invitations state , "Gift in money only". Well, I didnt go to that wedding; so she got no gift nor money.
How rude. Even IF most people give cash---you should never assume that is what they will bring. At my own wedding someone gave to me a crystal decanter--and I thought it was the most beautiful gift I received--I still have it to this day--and told the giver so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings