Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:57 AM

527 posts, read 688,359 times

Advertisements

I'm super thrilled to be getting married in the fall of next year. I am starting to get into the whole DIY and planning thing, and it's turning out to be a blast. But I got this message from one of my mom's friends the other day on Facebook. She first congratulated me, and then she said.

"I told your mom to make sure you send me an invite."

I was a little taken aback. She's a good friend of my moms, but I haven't seen or spoken to her in 10-15 years. It came off a little bit like a demand, and when I mentioned to my mom that I thought it was rude, she said I was selfish, and that this wedding wasn't all about me.

Am I missing something? I always thought it was rude to ask about your invite to someone else's party. You don't know what their budget is, and you may put them in an awkward position by asking. But I'm willing to admit if I was wrong. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 AM

22,702 posts, read 47,914,975 times
Yes, that is rude.
And you really don't have to invite rude people.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,795,944 times
Inviting yourself to a part is rude, yes. However, who is paying for the reception, you or your mom?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Inviting yourself to a part is rude, yes. However, who is paying for the reception, you or your mom?
At just Julia, we are splitting, between me and my parents, 50/50.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 AM

11,829 posts, read 12,091,579 times
Since it was on FB and you can't hear tone, it may have been demanding, or it may have been a more enthusiastic "can't wait to see you get married!" tone.

I think it was presumptuous of her to mention it at all. However, the parents may have friends they want to include, it's not just friends of the bride and groom, so that may need to be taken into consideration when planning your day. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Since it was on FB and you can't hear tone, it may have been demanding, or it may have been a more enthusiastic "can't wait to see you get married!" tone.

I think it was presumptuous of her to mention it at all. However, the parents may have friends they want to include, it's not just friends of the bride and groom, so that may need to be taken into consideration when planning your day. Good luck!
I agree, I think presumptuous is a good word. And I understand my parents have friends that they'd like to include, which is fine, but, it definitely took me aback a little.

I also have had a few acquaintances do the same in person, and it's so awkward because again, it's like a demand for an invitation, and I find it very off-putting. Why do people assume they will be invite if they're not close friends or family?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,340,912 times
Repeat after me: "The marriage is ours and ours alone to keep, but the wedding is for Family and Friends."

Don't sweat the small stuff. Whoever this lady is, she thinks enough of you and your mom that she wants to be there on your special day.

The stress and strain of a wedding is makes it hard enough for the bride and groom to enjoy it. If you obsess over controlling every aspect of it you'll crack up.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I agree, I think presumptuous is a good word. And I understand my parents have friends that they'd like to include, which is fine, but, it definitely took me aback a little.

I also have had a few acquaintances do the same in person, and it's so awkward because again, it's like a demand for an invitation, and I find it very off-putting. Why do people assume they will be invite if they're not close friends or family?
I think some people simply like weddings, and because they know you, or used to be closer to you, they want/expect to be included.

I worked with a girl whose guest list was closing in on 600 people (an Italian/Portuguese wedding) and her mother was inviting kids she went to Kindergarten with but hadn't seen in years.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think some people simply like weddings, and because they know you, or used to be closer to you, they want/expect to be included.

I worked with a girl whose guest list was closing in on 600 people (an Italian/Portuguese wedding) and her mother was inviting kids she went to Kindergarten with but hadn't seen in years.
600?! What the heck was the budget! We're like at 130ish. Geez!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
600?! What the heck was the budget! We're like at 130ish. Geez!
I'm not sure what the final tall was. Certain ethnicities, at least around here, tend to be over-the-top, but the gifts received are usually such that the whole wedding ends up paid for, and then some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings