Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,537,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The difference is the host is giving and the guests are taking lol but it is still a celebration and therefore people should bring a gift. It's not any different than going to a birthday party ... would you come to a birthday without a gift?
Gifts are often given but should never be expected. They are not the reason to have a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,449,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Seriously?

There will be many things in your life you want but can't afford. Get used to it.
Yes seriously.

My ex-husband got drunk at my first wedding and got mad at his mom and refuse to dance with me and her - he ruined our wedding.

Now I am getting married again and I feel I deserve a do-over.

if people want to get married at a courthouse, that's fine with me, but after all I've been through in my past marriage (he was abusive and we divorced), hell no ... we're going all out.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Gifts are often given but should never be expected. They are not the reason to have a party.
They are not the reason to have a party but they should still be given and if a guest doesn't give one I think it is well within the right of the host to be upset about it ... especially if the host has given them gifts in the past.

it's the right thing to do. Literally you can get a gift for $15.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I feel I deserve ....

I feel I deserve granite countertops and and an early retirement filled with travel to exciting foreign locales....who should cover that for me ? It is my dream lifestyle.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I feel I deserve granite countertops and and an early retirement filled with travel to exciting foreign locales....who should cover that for me ? It is my dream lifestyle.
Did your countertops beat the sh*t out of you?

My ex husband did - so yes I deserve my dream wedding

Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Did your countertops beat the sh*t out of you?

My ex husband did - so yes I deserve my dream wedding
Sorry that happened but it has nothing to do with expecting others to foot the bill for a luxury expense you want but cannot afford.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,275,307 times
Quote:
Why should someone be shafted of their dream wedding though just b/c they can't afford it?
(snip)
Sheesh! Are you kidding me? Are you 12 years old? You can't have everything that you want in life.

You could look at anything that way.

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of being an international run-way fashion model just b/c they are 5 feet tall?"

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of being a professional athlete/best selling author/astronaut/a supreme court justice/whatever just b/c they do not the prerequisite knowledge and skills?"

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of owning a two million dollar house just b/c they work at a minimum wage job?"

Double Sheesh!!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
The difference is the host is giving and the guests are taking
And not to pick nits but it's interesting that you see guests as "taking" rather than receiving what the host is willingly providing.

Your guests are there to share in your joy, not to foot the bill.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-31-2018 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewildered in boise View Post
Recently asked a couple (engaged)what their color scheme was in their home. I was thinking of purchasing a custom made quilt for their home for a wedding gift. I wanted it to be a surprise so I did not say what I was doing. Their response. “Thanks for thinking of us, but we don,t need any decorations.” I was taken aback and a little stunned by this response. Maybe I might get them WaALMeRT card and tell them go get what ever floats yer boat! But of course that would be rude back.
So to the person who resurrected this thread, you might want to repost as a separate topic since everyone is going to comment on the juicy original topic.

But fwiw, I think it's a truly bad idea to give someone a custom made quilt - the fact that you didn't even know the color scheme in their home means you have no idea whatsoever what their style is and whether this quilt would be anything they would like. Yes, of course people should receive any gift graciously, but gifts should be thoughtful in the first place and something that personal should only go to someone whose tastes you are familiar enough with to know it would be appreciated. So while the response was less gracious than it might have been, sorry but your idea was not a terribly good one.

as for the original post, yes, horrific behavior all around. Nothing really more to say.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Sheesh! Are you kidding me? Are you 12 years old? You can't have everything that you want in life.

You could look at anything that way.

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of being an international run-way fashion model just b/c they are 5 feet tall?"

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of being a professional athlete/best selling author/astronaut/a supreme court justice/whatever just b/c they do not the prerequisite knowledge and skills?"

"Why should someone be shafted of their dream of owning a two million dollar house just b/c they work at a minimum wage job?"

Double Sheesh!!
Hi I had the crap beat out of by my ex husband I will have any damn wedding I please

it's not about entitlement ... it's about having my previous wedding ruined and my life in danger.

Stop judging.

You don't know everyone's situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings