Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^^ I got f**cked by an artificial speed trap down in Miami on US 1 back in May. The speed limit was 45 up until this one stretch of road where the speed limit is 35 for literally a mile and the cop pulled me over. I was going 47 and I asked him "isn't the speed limit 45?" He said no, after the "bridge" which was about .75 miles back, the speed limit is 35 I didn't see any sign or warning for it. Worst part is that it was like 3 AM when this happened, and there was not a soul on the road. Does this cop really feel like he did his duty for that day by doing that? Ridiculous.
I-81 here from Harrisburg to Carlisle has roughly a 5-10 mile "Safety Corridor" where, it's the middle of nowhere near Harrisburg and Carlisle way outside a built-up area, and the speed limit drops to 55. Wtf is that? There is no need for "safety corridors". They put that up because everyone driving on I-81 down to Carlisle, PA; Chambersburg,, PA; Hagerstown, MD; and points south to Virginia drive like the devil to generate revenue. Speed limit in PA needs to be lifted to 70 outside of the turnpike and 75 on the turnpike

Old 11-22-2013, 05:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,386,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I-81 here from Harrisburg to Carlisle has roughly a 5-10 mile "Safety Corridor" where, it's the middle of nowhere near Harrisburg and Carlisle way outside a built-up area, and the speed limit drops to 55. Wtf is that? There is no need for "safety corridors". They put that up because everyone driving on I-81 down to Carlisle, PA; Chambersburg,, PA; Hagerstown, MD; and points south to Virginia drive like the devil to generate revenue. Speed limit in PA needs to be lifted to 70 outside of the turnpike and 75 on the turnpike
I hate that, they do that here in FL a lot too. The speed limit would be 70 and then for no apparent reason, there's no road construction going on or any change in road conditions and you're out in the middle of the woods, and the speed limit goes down to 55 , these small town governments really need to learn to live within their means, instead of setting artificial speed traps and ruining people's day I put just as much blame to the cops as well, they need to be out there catching real criminals.

I think the speed limit on all interstates/turnpikes should be no less than 75 mph. Not sure if you've heard of the "85th percentile rule" but it's been proven that's one of the safest methods of determining speed limit.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I hate that, they do that here in FL a lot too. The speed limit would be 70 and then for no apparent reason, there's no road construction going on or any change in road conditions and you're out in the middle of the woods, and the speed limit goes down to 55 , these small town governments really need to learn to live within their means, instead of setting artificial speed traps and ruining people's day I put just as much blame to the cops as well, they need to be out there catching real criminals.
Most of the time, or all the time, it's the local government executive (mayor or township supervisor as we call them here) that coordinates with the local chief of police to do this. They do this so they wouldn't have to raise taxes to cover expenses, in the hopes that they won't be thrown out of office come next election. In more rural areas, the police are known to leave locals alone but ticket passers-by

Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,386,567 times
Quote:
Most of the time, or all the time, it's the local government executive (mayor or township supervisor as we call them here) that coordinates with the local chief of police to do this. They do this so they wouldn't have to raise taxes to cover expenses, in the hopes that they won't be thrown out of office come next election. In more rural areas, the police are known to leave locals alone but ticket passers-by
That's still kind of screwed up if you ask me.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,698,166 times
Got 2 go in2 work an hour early 2morrow.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,698,166 times
netretards.tv now uses their own "custom" weather model that is hilariously inaccurate - and always indicates stupidly cold looking forecasts that never come true so far. They show 0°C here all day on monday, GFS and every "real" model shows 5-7°C. Idiots

It's all part of their pathetic cold-loving bias agenda, brainwashing themselves into thinking there's always a huge cold spell just around the corner just because they wish there was.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,233,245 times
Quote:
I believe that a bill is being passed to Increase interstate speed limits to 70 MPH in PA. Hope it comes out soon. I drive on PA Turnpike 3-4 times a year till Pittsburgh and 65 MPH in western PA is like crawling.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I believe that a bill is being passed to Increase interstate speed limits to 70 MPH in PA. Hope it comes out soon. I drive on PA Turnpike 3-4 times a year till Pittsburgh and 65 MPH in western PA is like crawling.
I hope that's true! 65 makes no sense at all in most of the state. I mean, come on! There's highways in England that pass through more densely populated areas than in PA and their speed limit is 70 65 makes sense around Philly and Pittsburgh, 55 in the built-up areas, but come on. Even I-70 in rural parts between Washington, PA and New Stanton is 55

Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,233,245 times
Quote:
Even I-70 in rural parts between Washington, PA and New Stanton is 55
Some portions of 70 go down as low as 45 mph near the Monongahela Bridge . The annoying thing its only 15 miles away from my final destination after a 350 mile drive from Central New Jersey. I cant wait to reach my brothers place, but the STUPID "interstate" speed limit makes my trip 10 minutes longer than its supposed to be .

Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,478,880 times
Its rainy, and the temps for the next days are upper 60s and low 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather