Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 25,070,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
What's the policy like in Finland?
Rigorous. The limit is 0.05. Having that, your license is suspended for a month and handed a fine. Having 0.12 is a serious DUI and you'll lose your license for a very long time (up to 5 years!) and a much larger fine. Having above 0.20 in your blood will most likely guarantee you a suspended prison sentence.

Getting caught twice within five years for over 0.12, will give you at least a year-long suspension from driving.

The cops are allowed to use alcometers in all situations, even if they pull you over just for having a non-functioning headlight. Also designated busts are made in city centers and approaches to and from the city.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,814,536 times
The UK's limit is 0.08 too. The maximum penalty for driving above the limit is a six month prison term, a fine of £5,000 and 12 months' disqualification from driving. A second time, it's a 3 years minimum ban from driving.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,471,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Rigorous. The limit is 0.05. Having that, your license is suspended for a month and handed a fine. Having 0.12 is a serious DUI and you'll lose your license for a very long time (up to 5 years!) and a much larger fine. Having above 0.20 in your blood will most likely guarantee you a suspended prison sentence.

Getting caught twice within five years for over 0.12, will give you at least a year-long suspension from driving.

The cops are allowed to use alcometers in all situations, even if they pull you over just for having a non-functioning headlight. Also designated busts are made in city centers and approaches to and from the city.
Damn, they take DUIs seriously in Finland. But they should. DUIs here are pretty lenient, you have to be a complete moron to be caught with a DUI here to be honest. Here, they won't give you any prison time for DUIs, but they will suspend your license for 6 months the 1st time you get caught, and 1 and 2 years the 2nd and 3rd times.

Here cops will only use breathalyzers if they already suspect you of driving intoxicated (driving erratically, or veering over lanes, etc).

Here they're much tougher when it comes to marijuana than when it comes to DUIs.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM

24,128 posts, read 25,070,636 times
Quote:
Damn, they take DUIs seriously in Finland. But they should. DUIs here are pretty lenient, you have to be a complete moron to be caught with a DUI here to be honest.

Here cops will only use breathalyzers if they already suspect you of driving intoxicated (driving erratically, or veering over lanes, etc).
Yes, people tend to play down DUI's sometimes. "Well I got home safely" and so on. But there's also numerous cases where someone drives over a kid, or driving off a cliff killing your passengers.

But I'm happy they take DUI seriously here, and the rates has been dropping clearly below the European average. And the attitude of people have changed too. Nowadays reckless DUI is viewed as badly as child molesters.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,325,726 times
Quote:
How's the traffic cops in the US (and other countries)? Are they strict or lenient? I mean if the guy was speeding 25 mph over the limit, that could have serious consequences over here, he could even lose his license for a while. Are the police picky about not using the indicators?
I got screwed up last month for going 12 mph over the speed limit. The trooper cited me with so many infractions that I had to pay a hefty fine $570 with several points on record. I got the points removed by going to court and payed an extra surcharge of $ 690. Now, I am a broke college kid bailing myself out of a ticket .

We have 6 major highways passing within a 10 mile radius. For those familiar with Jersey, they are Routes 1 (Brunswick Pike), 18, 95 (NJ Turnpike), 287 (NYC Beltway), 130, 535. Most of these are mediated state highways or interstates. The state highways are termed as safe corridor to double fines. Along I 95 and 287, there are 65 MPH zones which double the fines. Safe corridor + 65 mph zone speeding triples the fines in NJ . These are usually along the Turnpike.

Also need to be very careful on I 295 near Mantua, NJ. Lot of people get pulled over for speeding in that part of the state as well. The cops are always waiting in the bushes and every time I drive down to SJ, a cop has pulled someone over in this area.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,969,836 times
Yes it's certainly different now from when I first got my driver license. Big road side parties, doing burnouts and drags, and the obligatory bonfire, box of beers always at the ready and a bucket bong set up in someone's boot (trunk). Nary a cop in sight.
It's all much more sensible now of course.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:56 PM

^^ I got f**cked by an artificial speed trap down in Miami on US 1 back in May. The speed limit was 45 up until this one stretch of road where the speed limit is 35 for literally a mile and the cop pulled me over. I was going 47 and I asked him "isn't the speed limit 45?" He said no, after the "bridge" which was about .75 miles back, the speed limit is 35 I didn't see any sign or warning for it. Worst part is that it was like 3 AM when this happened, and there was not a soul on the road. Does this cop really feel like he did his duty for that day by doing that? Ridiculous.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, people tend to play down DUI's sometimes. "Well I got home safely" and so on. But there's also numerous cases where someone drives over a kid, or driving off a cliff killing your passengers.

But I'm happy they take DUI seriously here, and the rates has been dropping clearly below the European average. And the attitude of people have changed too. Nowadays reckless DUI is viewed as badly as child molesters.
I agree, even though DUIs are heavily scrutinized here people tend to downplay "driving drunk" as well. There's a lot of cases where people die from driving drunk or being in an accident caused by a drunk driver.

They give more emphasis on keeping "drugs" off the streets here, than pulling over drunk drivers.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,728,546 times
Quote:
You should go punch the first person you see square in the face. That always seems to help me when I'm feeling aggressive.
There was somebody, some thug who went around doing just that for real in a town in this country (according to the daily mail). He went around punching strangers and actually clean killed two of them. Disgusting piece of crap. Anyone who condones such behaviour is a piece of crap. I hope he rots in a disgusting jail cell with other violent thugs who will rape him up the ass all day every day and then dismember the sad rotten failure of an animal.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
There was somebody, some thug who went around doing just that for real in a town in this country (according to the daily mail). He went around punching strangers and actually clean killed two of them. Disgusting piece of crap. Anyone who condones such behaviour is a piece of crap. I hope he rots in a disgusting jail cell with other violent thugs who will rape him up the ass all day every day and then dismember the sad rotten failure of an animal.
That's seriously f**ked up. You need to have serious mental issues to be going around doing crap like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather